Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Agree with this. Experienced players should give a penalty all their concentration and effort. Watching Wayne Rooney take a penalty for Derby in the twilight of his career, you could tell how much it meant to him personally, forget about the club for a minute, absolute laser like focus, professional pride at stake. 

Yes, I know Rooney was on a completely different level but the determination to smash the ball into the net should be there for lads like Collins and McGoldrick.

If the keeper makes a worldie, or the ball smashes off the post or bar then fair enough, it happens.

Watch a few Rooney vids lads and make sure next time.

I'm afraid my abiding memory of Rooney was him wobbling about absolutely exhausted after 30 mins against Blackburn having just gifted then two goals as he was to tired to clear a ball.  Then shouting at everyone else.  His fitness level after the summer of 2020 was a disgrace. 

"I thought we started really well and then we decided, collectively, to complicate the game," he said.

"I thought if we played a simple game played in a simple way we would win. I know that sounds a bit arrogant, but if we got the ball out wide, I thought it was two v one every time.

"We had overloads but we complicated it a bit with strikers coming into wide positions. I didn't want them to do that. Just stay in the box, it's fine. My frustration is that their two biggest chances were us playing through the middle, losing it and being cut apart.

I do feel sorry for Warne. I can see what he’s trying to do but the nature of our squad and how small and stretched it is seems to be working against him.

We can’t really build any consistency or momentum because three games in a week across 3-4 competitions is proving too much for a core squad of 19-20 senior players.

The signs of encouragement are there. On balance, we could have won five of our seven league games under Warne, if not for mounting injuries, suspensions and of course individual moments of madness in both boxes. Even in our worst performance v Ipswich, we were one mistake from potentially fighting tooth and nail for a 0-0 draw.

I think we have to be prepared to see the mixed results continue while the squad is so stressed.

Hopefully we can stay in touching distance of the top six and January will be a turning point when we can add some extra quality and numbers to the squad and bring some relief.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Agree with this. Experienced players should give a penalty all their concentration and effort. Watching Wayne Rooney take a penalty for Derby in the twilight of his career, you could tell how much it meant to him personally, forget about the club for a minute, absolute laser like focus, professional pride at stake. 

Yes, I know Rooney was on a completely different level but the determination to smash the ball into the net should be there for lads like Collins and McGoldrick.

If the keeper makes a worldie, or the ball smashes off the post or bar then fair enough, it happens.

Watch a few Rooney vids lads and make sure next time.

Harry Kane also. One of the best penalty takers I've seen hands down. Focuses straight at the goal, doesn't get distracted by what's going on around him and then smashes it into the net with pure power. Goalkeepers can't get near them, even if they go the right way it just flashes straight past their hands. 

31 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I do feel sorry for Warne. I can see what he’s trying to do but the nature of our squad and how small and stretched it is seems to be working against him.

We can’t really build any consistency or momentum because three games in a week across 3-4 competitions is proving too much for a core squad of 19-20 senior players.

The signs of encouragement are there. On balance, we could have won five of our seven league games under Warne, if not for mounting injuries, suspensions and of course individual moments of madness in both boxes. Even in our worst performance v Ipswich, we were one mistake from potentially fighting tooth and nail for a 0-0 draw.

I think we have to be prepared to see the mixed results continue while the squad is so stressed.

Hopefully we can stay in touching distance of the top six and January will be a turning point when we can add some extra quality and numbers to the squad and bring some relief.

Spot on. 

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

I thought sibley was up there for motm i dont know how you can question that! Bird was very sloppy with his passing which also led to their goal also his running off the ball was very slack! He did once get back which he did well with cashin defending well apart from that! Barker was a great player from us but everything gets over looked all the time its time for a change as i could quite happily get a load of replays from that match where bird gives the ball away or is just jogging around the pitch iv played that role that bird plays and hes not up to scratch! Its the effort he puts in off the ball as well that does my head! We will never get anywhere with bird getting away with poor performances and getting credit for doing well 

I thought that both Bird and Sibley had decent games. 

Sometimes you’ve just got to laugh. Today’s game was one of those moments. The aim is to get into the playoffs and do something when we get there, honestly I don’t know if we have that in us - it’s a puncher’s chance at best. 

Nevertheless, the thing that came to mind after watching the game is that League One is a garbage standard, some players in the league could (and probably should) be playing non-league and working part time for a living. 

This season, with all the restrictions and uncertainty, we can go to another League One side and after 27 shots on goal. It’s laughable, really. Even if we don’t go up this year, the club would honestly have to be run by morons and hire morons not to make a success of it at this level given our substantial leg up over the opposition. 

7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"I thought we started really well and then we decided, collectively, to complicate the game," he said.

"I thought if we played a simple game played in a simple way we would win. I know that sounds a bit arrogant, but if we got the ball out wide, I thought it was two v one every time.

"We had overloads but we complicated it a bit with strikers coming into wide positions. I didn't want them to do that. Just stay in the box, it's fine. My frustration is that their two biggest chances were us playing through the middle, losing it and being cut apart.

Same player to lose the ball as well

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

I thought that both Bird and Sibley had decent games. 

Birds fault for their goal, its not like he only miss passed it once for their goal he did it 6 or 7 times at one point mcgoldrick and collins throw his arms in the air and turn towards him! He did better then normal but its still below the standards that are expected. It always happens even to the standard of Sunday morning football you can have someone who can barely kick a ball (a fill in player) and a good standard amateur and always concisely good that 1 player who has a half decent game stands out because hes done more then normal/expected, this is what i feel fans have seen them 2nd balls is his job to win hes a professional footballer hes getting paid to do that it shouldn't be a stand out thing that hes won a couple of second balls against 

On 10/09/2022 at 18:00, Foreveram said:

You only live once, off to the midland. Apparently they have been filming for “ the Bay””over the last few days, means nothing to me ??‍♂️

The room we are staying in at our b+b, was used as a location for filming an episode of The Bay! 

Edited by angieram

Same player to lose the ball as well

Birds fault for their goal, its not like he only miss passed it once for their goal he did it 6 or 7 times

You are right that Bird gave the ball away in the run-up to their goal, and it was a poor pass, and yes it wasn't his only one (although on the whole I thought his passing was pretty good... no idea about the stats or where to find them!)

However the fact we couldn't stop that goal, which was actually scored about 25 seconds after Bird misplaced his pass, is the real disappointment. It's not like Morecambe blitzed us with their passing for the goal, although they did well and it was a great finish.

Personally I was more bothered by Collins' awful pass which set up Cashin's desperate yellow-card lunge, and every time NML tries an obvious nutmeg where he must realise that if he loses it his opponent has a headstart on him while he's facing the wrong direction and usually with no back-up! 

Were you as annoyed by Curtis Davies' misplaced pass at Ipswich - which led immediately to an easy goal - as by Bird's one last night?

3 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Every time I think we have turned a corner we implode. 

At least we still have a club and no one ever thought recovery was going to be easy.

I think that at the start of the season I would have taken 7th place at this stage.

We’ve got a team of has beens and wannabes and they are doing fantastically well having been thrown together so hastily.