Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

A few stand outs for me.

Rooney looks like he has been playing mens footy for 10 years or more. I like him a lot, that number 34 shirt fits him nice.

Knight is a baller, great to see him further up field and played well.

Sibley proved if you play him he can win games.

Dobbin is class.

David McGoldrick, I honestly thought he was outstanding today, I really hope he stays fit.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A few stand outs for me.

Rooney looks like he has been playing mens footy for 10 years or more. I like him a lot, that number 34 shirt fits him nice.

Knight is a baller, great to see him further up field and played well.

Sibley proved if you play him he can win games.

Dobbin is class.

David McGoldrick, I honestly thought he was outstanding today, I really hope he stays fit.

I like him but he does have the smell of a Bueno about him .  When he gets clobbered he loses interest.  Could probably do with a midfielder enforcer around him like Le Tissier had in midfield for Southampton when he started.  They can do some clobbering back for him till he toughens up a bit.  It's amazing how the bully boys attention can be turned to self preservation when there's a bigger one lurking to bite you back if you start the rough stuff.  I tended to be the great white doing the minding when I played.  They hated me 

40 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If I had a pound for every time we beat Walsall I'd have a pound.  Them and Crewe are two proper s******** teams for us. 

Went to West Brom in the seventies got pelted with coins by their fans in the ground made a pound enough to buy a beer. ?

Edited by cstand

Loved that; tenacity and entertainment. Every player contributed. It struck me that our team tonight cost an undisclosed fee thought to be £150,000 nine years ago. We deservedly beat a yo-yo team costing tens of millions. 

Some random player thoughts - McGoldrick is very efficient. For 90% of the time he barely manages a jog. But when he can make a difference he suddenly comes alive. He looks like a very smart player to me.

Sibley looks very sharp and motivated. I can't see how he can be dropped for Saturday.  

Oduroh was defensively superb. OK, he did nothing going forward other than sensible passes into midfield, but as a defensive full back he was brilliant. He fought for every ball and tackled and harried like a veteran. Even when he misjudged the flight or Git on the wrong side, within a second, he'd got back at the attacker. No West Brom player got any time on the ball when they were close to him. It was almost odd to see a full back busting a gut to stop crosses coming over.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday now.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I like him but he does have the smell of a Bueno about him .  When he gets clobbered he loses interest.  Could probably do with a midfielder enforcer around him like Le Tissier had in midfield for Southampton when he started.  They can do some clobbering back for him till he toughens up a bit.  It's amazing how the bully boys attention can be turned to self preservation when there's a bigger one lurking to bite you back if you start the rough stuff.  I tended to be the great white doing the minding when I played.  They hated me 

Yes we need an enforcer. Maybe Knighty is capable of doing that, he has a bit of Martin Kuhl about him when he's on it.

What we need more than that though is a referee who will enforce the rules. Not give what he thinks, give what he sees, without fear or favour.

Madley has always been a completely useless and weak official with a grudge against certain players and teams. He was most likely the fat kid who got picked last in the playground so hated the better players.

I know he's out atm but I would love to see Curtis pick a few up by the throat, a la Dave Mackay, when he's back in the team.

2 minutes ago, cstand said:

Went to West Brom in the seventies got pelted with coins by their fans made a pound then enough to buy a beer. ?

Suffered a bit of nasty damage their myself courtesy of a cracked bottle on the head after the promotion part in  96.  The pain subsided after a few days but the stitch marks have appeared like a long forgotten friend as the hairs gone to grade 1 a few years back.