Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

So West Brom 8 attempts on goal, Detby only 2. Was it really that one-sided?

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Wasn’t one sided at all. They created some chances (which you’d expect), so did we. most of theirs were ‘half’ chances. Couple they should have scored, just as we should.  

Those stats don’t really paint an accurate picture of the game (one of the many reasons I hate modern day fan obsession with stats. Football is an art not is science and over analysis is killing the enjoyment). Go by what you see, not what the stats suggest! 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

You do know that the highlights are exactly that, the highlights and just the best chances?

I didn’t go to the game but, according to BBC, they had more possession however, we had 19 shots to their 21 and we both had 6 shots on target.

But they point I was querying was the difference in quality of chances created - but that's not allowed because we won and they're better than us. ?

18 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I hope the 20,000 missing Rams fans could hear WBA sing “You only need one stand”.The 8,000 of us that turned up saw Sibley play in his best position and every player did his bit. Liverpool next round please. We need the cash.

They'd obviously forgotten that the attendance for their 1st round match against the blades was a mere 6,747. 

The tw@s.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No mate. It's just you didn't go or only listened to Dawes and Gorgeous George! ?

I would have loved to do either, going to the match being my preference. I drive HGV for a living, and had to get up at 3am next morning (as stated earlier in the thread) to drive to the far side of Suffolk, and I won’t risk driving on 4 hours of sleep. So sacrificed the chance to listen to St George the Gorgeous and went to bed.

Sibley alone brought out two great saves from their keeper, apart from his goal. Dobbin had several wasteful shots, Knight a tame one at their keeper.

Haven't watched the Sky "highlights" but BBC had WBA at 21 shots against our 19. That feels about right to me. Certainly not an 8:2 ratio.

I know many had to rely on Radio Derby commentary last night  but Ed Dawes makes everything sound worse than it is from our point of view, it's because he's a fan.

Just now, angieram said:

I know many had to rely on Radio Derby commentary last night  but Ed Dawes makes everything sound worse than it is from our point of view, it's because he's a fan.

Lol. He must post on here? 

I've seen posts saying how good Odoruh looked and others. It sounded a decent match, George was much more interesting than Dawes who I mostly tuned out. I still get 'regret pangs' when I hear George talk Derby and football though... #COYR

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

They'd obviously forgotten that the attendance for their 1st round match against the blades was a mere 6,747. 

The tw@s.

Yes, made me chuckle when they were singing about the attendance as I did know! 

Have to say we made a great atmosphere to say how many there were of us. Everyone singing and clapping round me in North Stand.

You could see the young players feeding off that energy towards the end. 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

I hope the 20,000 missing Rams fans could hear WBA sing “You only need one stand”.The 8,000 of us that turned up saw Sibley play in his best position and every player did his bit. Liverpool next round please. We need the cash.

They should look in their own back yard , six and a half thousand at home to Sheffield Utd in the first round and an average under 22,000 for their home championship games.

Mendez-Laing, Anang and Davies unavailable, seven changes from Saturday and a bench that included Hourihane, Cashin, Barkhuizen, Bird, Collins and Stearman.

Considering that just a few weeks back we only had five players under contract the performance and result from last night was to quote a well known ex manager “nothing short of remarkable”

………..well done to all.

Good performance from the lads last night , would like to give a shout out to a couple of players who may have gone under the radar last night , i thought Fozzy gave a captains performance , led from the front , talked his younger team mates at the back through the game and if i remember rightly didnt put a foot wrong , secondly , in my opinion , Korey Smiths best performance so far , like Fozzy , helped his younger team mates all night , intelligeny use of ball , always available for a pass and put a foot in to break up WBA attacks

Well done to those two and the rest of the lads , Proud  to be a Ram

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Good performance from the lads last night , would like to give a shout out to a couple of players who may have gone under the radar last night , i thought Fozzy gave a captains performance , led from the front , talked his younger team mates at the back through the game and if i remember rightly didnt put a foot wrong , secondly , in my opinion , Korey Smiths best performance so far , like Fozzy , helped his younger team mates all night , intelligeny use of ball , always available for a pass and put a foot in to break up WBA attacks

Well done to those two and the rest of the lads , Proud  to be a Ram

Totally agree with this, I thought Korey Smith was everywhere, particularly second half.  And Foz got his head on everything.

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Leave doing the picture till later and go to the match instead.

Ok, don’t “carp” on about it… ?