Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

Having watched the full 90, I'm struck that for all our shots we didn't create any easy chances. Once Sibley slipped Hourihane through one-on-one, but the Irishman's control let him down. Another time McGoldrick should have slipped Sibley through one-on-one, but took a very selfish shot from 30 yards instead. Dobbin gets in good positions but can't shoot. Ditto Knight. Sibley had far and away our best three attempts at goal, but it's not like any of them was more than a half-chance. Even so he was unlucky not to score two.

That said, despite what looked on paper a very makeshift defence, we didn't give WBA any easy chances either. We're secure at the back from their attacks and West Brom only looked dangerous when we gave the ball away very high up the pitch. We were a little fortunate not to be punished. Better in the second half.

The game against free-scoring Peterborough will be interesting as I'd expect most of our matches to be very low scoring, the way we're set up. Maybe we'll become more dangerous once Rosenior realizes to make Sibley first name on the teamsheet? Dobbin and McGoldrick must also be pressing for a start, but I see the need for Collins, and Mendez-Laing is similar to Dobbin in terms of plenty of threat but not quite so much end product.

Knight on the left side of midfield versus Knight at right back? It's a tough one but I think he offers more than Hourihane in midfield if that's the equation later in the season. At the moment, despite Oduroh really benefiting from that game, Knight is much stronger at right back.

A word about the ref. He did miss stuff particularly a trio of cynical fouls in midfield when we had the initiative but he was consistent with both teams and to his credit steadfastly refused to buy in to theatrics from anyone. Was also perfectly positioned when Wildsmith hugged the ball at the extremity of his area. 

we all had a laugh about EFL directives to refs last season but on what I’ve seen so far this time round there does seem to be a certain equality and consistency that seemed to be missing on occasions in the recent past. 

17 minutes ago, jono said:

A word about the ref. He did miss stuff particularly a trio of cynical fouls in midfield when we had the initiative but he was consistent with both teams and to his credit steadfastly refused to buy in to theatrics from anyone. Was also perfectly positioned when Wildsmith hugged the ball at the extremity of his area. 

we all had a laugh about EFL directives to refs last season but on what I’ve seen so far this time round there does seem to be a certain equality and consistency that seemed to be missing on occasions in the recent past. 

Dont make me laugh are they hell.

11 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Dont make me laugh are they hell.

The thing is B4 that other teams fans are often saying the same thing. So are you saying you think refs are anti Derby and single us out for bad decisions ? Or are you saying that refs are just not very good across the board - so, bad for everyone equally ? 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

The thing is B4 that other teams fans are often saying the same thing. So are you saying you think refs are anti Derby and single us out for bad decisions ? Or are you saying that refs are just not very good across the board - so, bad for everyone equally ? 

Yep

They have in for us because we dared to stand upto efl.

24 minutes ago, jono said:

That first 'cynical' foul in midfield was the easiest yellow card ever, it was more an assault on our player and could have caused serious injury. Cynical would have meant stopping a dangerous attack, this one occurred in our half and not in any threatening position. There could have been an argument for a red card, as there was no other aim other than to attack our player.

Whilst I applaud him for not 'buying' any of the 3 blatant dives by the Albion player, I seem to remember him sending off a certain Chris Martin, for diving, when he was actually fouled against Burnley.

Ironically, I thought that the yellow card he did give against them, was very soft, when compared with what he had allowed them to get away with previously.

16 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Yep

They have in for us because we dared to stand upto efl.

There were times last season where it certainly  felt like that but whether it’s true or not we will never know. As for this season I have seen a lot more consistency ( of dubious quality at times, but “equally” dubious ) 

We should remember refs are human and like strikers, goalies and defenders .. they make honest mistakes despite trying their hardest. 

Edited by jono

13 minutes ago, ram59 said:

That first 'cynical' foul in midfield was the easiest yellow card ever, it was more an assault on our player and could have caused serious injury. Cynical would have meant stopping a dangerous attack, this one occurred in our half and not in any threatening position. There could have been an argument for a red card, as there was no other aim other than to attack our player.

Whilst I applaud him for not 'buying' any of the 3 blatant dives by the Albion player, I seem to remember him sending off a certain Chris Martin, for diving, when he was actually fouled against Burnley.

Ironically, I thought that the yellow card he did give against them, was very soft, when compared with what he had allowed them to get away with previously.

The CM Burnley sending off was a travesty, plain wrong. 

But you know, players get a reputation, Chrissy for all his skills with the ball was also a master at attempting to win free kicks in what, to me as an old goat and a bit stuffy about these things, wasn’t exactly sporting or honest. You sometimes reap what you sow. 

Edited by jono

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Agree with every word of that.

Well having to take the evening off because of work, a load pf you had got my back because the ref (if that is not a misuse of the word where Mr Madley is concerned) has still had a good scrutiny.

My nain observation after reading through the thread is that its funny how playing a footballer in his best position and playing off a team mate who can hold the ball up and play other people in actually worked. 

Could Marriott's current success be because he is now in his best position? Same with Weimman?

So ….. here’s hoping.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Well having to take the evening off because of work, a load pf you had got my back because the ref (if that is not a misuse of the word where Mr Madley is concerned) has still had a good scrutiny.

My nain observation after reading through the thread is that its funny how playing a footballer in his best position and playing off a team mate who can hold the ball up and play other people in actually worked. 

Could Marriott's current success be because he is now in his best position? Same with Weimman?

So ….. here’s hoping.

I’m with you on that. It isn’t really about Sibley or Collins or a striker leading the line. You need 2 in close company. McGoldrick will feed whoever we put is the CF. As will hourihan if played high enough. That’s not underplaying Sibbo’s cracking contribution last night, but he had the right support. Sibley, Marriot, Weiman, Martin,Collins all need a link man/men close enough to the furnace that is the 18 yard area.

13 hours ago, YouRams said:

Wildsmith had a very good game, it looked like the majority of shots were straight at him but that's down to his positioning more than anything, looking like a good signing so far! 

Yes I agree, Wildsmith looked good overall. Just needs to remember to clear the ball upfield when appropriate. Almost got in trouble again trying to play out from the back when the pass wasn't on. At some point we will get punished for this. 

22 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

Went to the game, a decent bit of football to watch.  Better crowd that I thought might turn up.  Watched form the East stand just for the sake of variety from our season tickets in the North.

A good performance all round apart from the silliness that nearly cost us a couple of goals in the first half.  It went away in the second thankfully.

Glad to see us shooting more, and more positive movement, not just backwards and sideways.  Some flashes of clever, neat, quick and accurate passing, which I think will get even better as the understanding increases.

To be fair to the Baggies they turned up in decent numbers and made themselves heard.

Enjoyable evening all round,  Would like to draw a big fish at home for the next game, My Lad has never seen Liverpool, so they would be my ideal draw as For my sins have always liked them from watching them in the 80’s…

Well there you go! ????