Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

Unbeaten in 4, we now face West Brom in the Second Round of the League Cup. A chance to build some chemistry with our best 11, or get some extra minutes into some legs?

We've lost just 6 out of the last 28 games against West Brom, with our last home defeat in August 2003.

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Roberts

Mendez-Laing               Barkhuizen

Dobbin   Collins

Subs: Loach, Rooney, Forsyth, Tommo, Smith, Sibley, McGoldrick

1 minute ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Give fringe players a game and get out of the cup, going to be a long season and I’d rather give the EFL trophy a proper go. 

Agree, we ain't goner win this cup. Put in the fringe players, giving them more game time and experience. Hate to see any injuries coming in a cup competition that does not make any money for the club until the later stages in which we have no chance of making.

23 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Give fringe players a game and get out of the cup, going to be a long season and I’d rather give the EFL trophy a proper go. 

17 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Agree, we ain't goner win this cup. Put in the fringe players, giving them more game time and experience. Hate to see any injuries coming in a cup competition that does not make any money for the club until the later stages in which we have no chance of making.

That's the spirit 

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Unbeaten in 4, we now face West Brom in the Second Round of the League Cup. A chance to build some chemistry with our best 11, or get some extra minutes into some legs?

We've lost just 6 out of the last 28 games against West Brom, with our last home defeat in August 2003.

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Roberts

Mendez-Laing               Barkhuizen

Dobbin   Collins

Subs: Loach, Rooney, Forsyth, Tommo, Smith, Sibley, McGoldrick

Would be surprised to see us go so strong. Expecting squad to be utilised, fitness to be considered...Sibley, McGoldrick, Thompson, Rooney to get a chance to stake a claim.

No way will LR go with what he sees as his first choice available 11. He'll bring in several of what he considers fringe players, with what he sees as a strong bench (we can name 9 subs). I'd expect it to be the same team that started against Mansfield in the last round:

Wildsmith

Oduroh     Stearman     Cashin     Forsyth

Rooney     Thompson

Knight     Smith     Sibley

Dobbin

Subs: Loach Roberts Grewal-Pollard Bird Hourihane McGoldrick Mendez-Laing Barkhuizen Collins

WBA will rest players too. I'd like to see:

Wildsmith

Smith      Stearman     Chester      Roberts

Thompson      Rooney

Dobbin          Sibley        Barkhuizen

McGoldrick

Loach, Oduroh, Cashin, Forsyth, Knight, Bird, Aghatise, NML, Collins

55 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

That's the spirit 

Getting promoted will be worth a lot more than going through to the 3rd round of the league cup, we aren’t blessed with a massive squad are are looking at potentially 55-60 games this season. We need to prioritise and this cup is bottom of the pile for me. Play the fringe players, if we win then great, if we don’t then no sleep lost.

Start your best side.  Keep reading the team is behind everyone else in terms of fitness and game time- never really been convinced of that with extra training and core fitness.  Give them a game then.  Probably one where they'll be seeing less of the ball than normal and have do a lot of hard running and we might get a result.  Winner all round.

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Looking at the site, we've hardly sold any. Several hundred available in almost every block. A shame with what I'd consider excellent pricing. I'd guess an attendance of maybe 5000-6000 looking at this?

5-6 k. You are joking! But not many Fleetwood fans turned up for their “Cup Final”. Perhaps we are not as Massive as we think we are . Come on fans show how grateful we are at still having a club.

With the prize money for this competition being so low, i wouldn't risk any main players.

For two semifinals and final at Wembley in 2021, £5 million was generated via ticket & hospitality sales (£3 million in two semifinals and £2 million from the final). So the winners and runners up walked away with around £1.6 million each.

That is why this competition is very important for lower league teams who if get lucky and drawn against one of the big boys can earn as much as their two season’s revenue on one night. Below is a small illustration how much a team can make during a good EFL Cup run.

STAGEPRIZE MONEYGATE RECEIPTS SHARE

WINNERS£100,000£900,000 (45% of Wembley final gate receipts)

RUNNERS-UP£50,000£900,000 (45% of Wembley final gate receipts)

LOSING SEMIFINALISTS (each)£25,000£650,000 (45% of Wembley semifinal gate receipts)

ROUND 1 TO QUARTERFINALSNONE(45% of gate receipts regardless where the match is taking place)