Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

Went to the game, a decent bit of football to watch.  Better crowd that I thought might turn up.  Watched form the East stand just for the sake of variety from our season tickets in the North.

A good performance all round apart from the silliness that nearly cost us a couple of goals in the first half.  It went away in the second thankfully.

Glad to see us shooting more, and more positive movement, not just backwards and sideways.  Some flashes of clever, neat, quick and accurate passing, which I think will get even better as the understanding increases.

To be fair to the Baggies they turned up in decent numbers and made themselves heard.

Enjoyable evening all round,  Would like to draw a big fish at home for the next game, My Lad has never seen Liverpool, so they would be my ideal draw as For my sins have always liked them from watching them in the 80’s…

1 minute ago, Kinder said:

It’s worth saying that Liam got everything spot on tonight.  He picked the right team and made the right subs at the right time.  Some of the younger players will have loads more confidence after tonight and players like McGoldrick got valuable minutes under their belt.  Well done Liam.

He played a changed side without playing a week one. All the players coming into the side knew there jobs and how the team was set up to play 1-11 they all put a shift in and showed quality. The subs he made were well timed and well thought out. Thank god he’s not like Cocu in cup games 

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Poor highlights and not representative of the match.

The match reports from 3 local Albion media all say that Derby deserved to win.

Completely agree.  Makes out they were bartering us.  Very poor.  They had more possession but were guilty of a lot of sideways and backwards stuff.

5 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Completely agree.  Makes out they were bartering us.  Very poor.  They had more possession but were guilty of a lot of sideways and backwards stuff.

I disagree we looked dangourse in attack yes messed about at the back that only created WBA shots on goal for them we total out played them.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

I disagree we looked dangourse in attack yes messed about at the back that only created WBA shots on goal for them we total out played them.

Eh?  Sorry lad I think you may have miss understood what I was saying…. My comments were relating to the poor nature of the highlights, not The way Derby played.  For more information please re-read…

6 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Eh?  Sorry lad I think you may have miss understood what I was saying…. My comments were relating to the poor nature of the highlights, not The way Derby played.  For more information please re-read…

Hey well sounds to me how poorly we played that why I said what I said mate.

My mistake then.

Ok no probs, if you rewind a little you will see my comments on the Derby performance which I thought was decent all round. My comments was on the poor quality of the highlights which made out they battered us, when clearly having been to the game they did not…

I think we are on the same page buddy… ???

12 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Ok no probs, if you rewind a little you will see my comments on the Derby performance which I thought was decent all round. My comments was on the poor quality of the highlights which made out they battered us, when clearly having been to the game they did not…

I think we are on the same page buddy… ???

What helights are they mate

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

??? Radio Derby called it right. If you look at the Sky highlights, 1:15 in, he shoots with his right and it's tipped over the bar. I love how two-footed Sibley is, so he can go either side of a defender and shoot with either foot, even though his left is stronger.

Yep ! Clipped it very subtly and cleanly with the outside of his right foot - little toe and the next one along - I really felt I could feel the ball connect with my foot - I don’t play golf but it was like a controlled lift over the edge of the bunker on to the green. Fine save from a gem of a shot which deserved a goal. 

Thought Rooney was excellent particularly in the second half. Kwaku (I really want to call him Duck ?) was thrown in at the deep end, out numbered by top players but never let his head drop. Roberts and Smith were running on fumes they work their what nots off. Tommo got caught a bit in the first half but played his best terrier stuff in the second. McGoldrick is so cool and capable. He’s the catalyst the front line needs. 

I could go through the lot of them. Top performances from everyone. We earned that win. 

35 minutes ago, jono said:

Yep ! Clipped it very subtly and cleanly with the outside of his right foot - little toe and the next one along - I really felt I could feel the ball connect with my foot - I don’t play golf but it was like a controlled lift over the edge of the bunker on to the green. Fine save from a gem of a shot which deserved a goal. 

Thought Rooney was excellent particularly in the second half. Kwaku (I really want to call him Duck ?) was thrown in at the deep end, out numbered by top players but never let his head drop. Roberts and Smith were running on fumes they work their what nots off. Tommo got caught a bit in the first half but played his best terrier stuff in the second. McGoldrick is so cool and capable. He’s the catalyst the front line needs. 

I could go through the lot of them. Top performances from everyone. We earned that win. 

Great to hear. Well done Rams. we need to beat Peterborough on Saturday they are going well in our League. 

Just watched the highlights on RamsTV, and the thing that stands out for me was the togetherness of the players......every good passage of play, every save was appreciated and acknowledged by another player, either by fist bump, or a pat on the back.....when we click properly I really believe we are gonna spank teams......bring on the Kenneth Williams emoji ????

2 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Just watched the highlights on RamsTV, and the thing that stands out for me was the togetherness of the players......every good passage of play, every save was appreciated and acknowledged by another player, either by fist bump, or a pat on the back.....when we click properly I really believe we are gonna spank teams......bring on the Kenneth Williams emoji ????

Not Kenneth - Wacko!

9617A4B9-4B0F-457B-BB9D-46E7746491A0.jpeg

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Very classy interview by LR. Good to hear him emphasise player development. Knight in midfield sounding more likely after today’s performances

He’ll have seen a group of forwards linking up yesterday for the first time (McGoldrick, Dobbin, Sibley) and as that works better we’ll hopefully score more goals. He’s clear that a lot hinges on McGoldrick’s fitness