Matchday Thread - Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion (23/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

6 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Wildsmith had a very good game, it looked like the majority of shots were straight at him but that's down to his positioning more than anything, looking like a good signing so far! 

Some, but most weren't anything but 'down the middle'. Didn't like his punch either (sounded like he did that twice?). We still had little possession in the box that was dangerous if those were the main highlights.

Very happy we won, and you can see why stats suggest we score when Sibbo is on the pitch. Think Dobbin will be a handful too if he gets some protection from refs.

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I like him but he does have the smell of a Bueno about him .  When he gets clobbered he loses interest.  Could probably do with a midfielder enforcer around him like Le Tissier had in midfield for Southampton when he started.  They can do some clobbering back for him till he toughens up a bit.  It's amazing how the bully boys attention can be turned to self preservation when there's a bigger one lurking to bite you back if you start the rough stuff.  I tended to be the great white doing the minding when I played.  They hated me 

All tho full back he was his protector

image.png.6f844ae47f06bac141e1cb401ac46864.png

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Madley has always been a completely useless and weak official with a grudge against certain players and teams. He was most likely the fat kid who got picked last in the playground so hated the better players.

You're right there Uttox, Only he never got picked, He had the ball, It was taken off him and told to go away...there is another term but I've got the Jesus channel on.

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Some, but most weren't anything but 'down the middle'. Didn't like his punch either (sounded like he did that twice?). We still had little possession in the box that was dangerous if those were the main highlights.

Very happy we won, and you can see why stats suggest we score when Sibbo is on the pitch. Think Dobbin will be a handful too if he gets some protection from refs.

Every silver lining has a cloud in some people’s worlds. 
Guess from what you heard you weren’t there. Wouldn’t draw too many conclusions about a game from Ed Dawes or highlights (particularly Ed Dawes).

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

Actually thought Wildsmith made good decisions when to catch and when to punch last night.

The two he made were when he couldn't get a clean jump at the ball due to players around him. And they travelled far enough away to allow us to regroup.

That save at the end, too. ?

He could have caught the ball from the last corner of the match, didn't look under much pressure - guess he thought he wanted to make another save instead ?

He had a good night tbh and a decent season so far.  His positioning and shot stopping are pretty good, but lacks confidence commanding his area and high balls into the box imho.  Hes grown on me since I first saw him in preseason. 

Edited by maxjam

11 hours ago, Miggins said:

Never mind any post mortems. I am so proud of our performance this evening. Louis, Man of the Match. Well done, everyone and thanks to all those who were there to be the 12th man!! ❤️

I hope the 20,000 missing Rams fans could hear WBA sing “You only need one stand”.The 8,000 of us that turned up saw Sibley play in his best position and every player did his bit. Liverpool next round please. We need the cash.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

??? Radio Derby called it right. If you look at the Sky highlights, 1:15 in, he shoots with his right and it's tipped over the bar. I love how two-footed Sibley is, so he can go either side of a defender and shoot with either foot, even though his left is stronger.

My bad, I thought it was about the goal. No idea why now I’ve read it back! ?

Forget it. Apparently comments can only be made if superlatives are used.

As I said but was ignored I'm very happy we're through. But the Sky highlights showed what good chances they missed - if that had been ours then the comments would have said how good we were! ?

Edited by RoyMac5

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So how many of our chances didn't the highlights show, or how many more of theirs?

I don’t know. I haven’t watched the highlights. Don’t need to, as I was there and saw it for myself.  

What I know is that we played well; Wildsmith played particularly well, making a few good saves. Yes, they created chances, but wouldn’t you expect them to? They play in a division higher than us and, even if weakened, so were  we so it evens itself out. 

If you want to pick out what little negatives you can from a positive performance and result then that’s up to you. 

Edited by LazloW

9 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

Went to the game, a decent bit of football to watch.  Better crowd that I thought might turn up.  Watched form the East stand just for the sake of variety from our season tickets in the North.

A good performance all round apart from the silliness that nearly cost us a couple of goals in the first half.  It went away in the second thankfully.

Glad to see us shooting more, and more positive movement, not just backwards and sideways.  Some flashes of clever, neat, quick and accurate passing, which I think will get even better as the understanding increases.

To be fair to the Baggies they turned up in decent numbers and made themselves heard.

Enjoyable evening all round,  Would like to draw a big fish at home for the next game, My Lad has never seen Liverpool, so they would be my ideal draw as For my sins have always liked them from watching them in the 80’s…

Leave doing the picture till later and go to the match instead.

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

I don’t know. I haven’t watched the highlights. Don’t need to, as I was there and saw it for myself.  

What I know is that we played well; Wildsmith played particularly well, making a few good saves. Yes, they created chances, but wouldn’t you expect them to? They play in a division higher than us and, even if weakened, so we’re we so it evens itself out. 

If you want to pick out what little negatives you can from a positive performance and result then that’s up to you. 

I didn't realise it was a negative to point out that the highlights showed what a lot of chances they had? Maybe you just like having a go at posters who don't have the same opinions as yourself?