Alfreton Town vs Derby County (Match Thread)

cannable

Pre season friendlies, what a dilemma. 

Pro clubs losing to non league clubs has always happened but 15 to 20 years ago nobody knew it had happened or if they did they didn't know the circumstances because nobody was there to report on it.

The advent of 24 hour sports coverage coupled with football clubs seeing an opportunity to monetise pre season, means that the genie is out of the bottle it is open to us fans, and we are unable to deal with the information we are given.

The manager and the players will be disappointed with the performance but they won't be making too many judgments about the season.

The only match that matters is Oxford, that was the case at the beginning of July and it is still the case, the rest is just window dressing

3 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Pre season friendlies, what a dilemma. 

Pro clubs losing to non league clubs has always happened but 15 to 20 years ago nobody knew it had happened or if they did they didn't know the circumstances because nobody was there to report on it.

The advent of 24 hour sports coverage coupled with football clubs seeing an opportunity to monetise pre season, means that the genie is out of the bottle it is open to us fans, and we are unable to deal with the information we are given.

The manager and the players will be disappointed with the performance but they won't be making too many judgments about the season.

The only match that matters is Oxford, that was the case at the beginning of July and it is still the case, the rest is just window dressing

Great post, totally agree

I wont lie i was hoping that LR might move away from this pratting about at the back game thats deemed risk to reward

derby more often than not run a high risk with it and im not sure a season of “up for it” teams and dodgy pitches is going to allow us to get the reward too often

Edited by NottsRam77

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Cheers. I thought about counting the Cashin header as a proper chance but the header was actually from a long way out. Yes it was almost a goal, but for a good clearance, but I suppose I'm thinking about the sort of moment when you would expect someone to score. I don't actually remember Smith having a chance in the first half, but that's likely the vino!

Good goal in the second half from Robertson and Everton's looked lively. But my frustration is we're effectively playing with 6 at the back (not counting the keeper), the way Thompson and Smith join the centre halves in the middle of defence and collect the ball, before playing it sideways or back. With only 4 players in the entire team not playing in defence, it's no wonder we don't create much.

Yep - I'm very much in the still-relieved-and-delighted-we-have-a-club-to-support phase, but am in agreement with you that we look unsure of how to get to the goal (or even why we should choose to try doing so?) while at the back - in all the friendlies - we are playing chicken with the opposition (I'd be surprised if Oxford are not aware of this "opportunity").

Still, looking forward to whatever lies ahead!

I don't get the hate on Stretton. We aren't playing to his strengths. Getting the ball to him with his back to goal is useless, you need balls in behind and whipped crosses to him.

It's clear this was a fitness thing as well for the lads who haven't played as much minutes in pre-season, we were "bottling" out of challenges because they want to stay injury free. 

It was a good test for weaker, smaller players to play against stronger players, as we saw with their striker. I think at one point we had only 2 players above 6ft on the pitch, Fozzy and Stearman. 

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I don't get the hate on Stretton. We aren't playing to his strengths. Getting the ball to him with his back to goal is useless, you need balls in behind and whipped crosses to him.

Got nowhere near the multitude of crosses whipped over by Robertson - worryingly.

The Reading side that won the Championship with 106 points lost their last pre-season friendly 2-1 against non-league Dorchester Town.

They also lost to Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 at home, and Farnborough Town 2-1 away during pre-season.

Oh and they also lost their first game of the season 2-1 at home to Plymouth.

Pre-season means nothing.