Matchday Thread v Hertha Berlin (H) 16th July 16:00

ollycutts1982

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except Stretton nearly scoring and doing really well holding the ball up, and Sibley looking lively and setting up Stretton. Yeah, okay.

I wouldn't bother. This poster seems to have a agenda against Sibley.

Thought they both did okay cosidering they were only on the pitch for 15 minutes, Stretton a little unfortunate not to score.

43 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Don’t want to get too carried away. Hertha very almost went down to the Bundlesliga.2 which is (imo at least) some way off the Championship.

That said, they were certainly the better team on paper and we dominated in parts. We held on at the end when we threw the kids on. 

Promising stuff indeed - bring on Oxford.

It doesn’t matter what you think of the Bundesliga 2, they don’t play in it but, as you say, let’s not get carried away. On the other hand it was a good performance.

18 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I wouldn't bother. This poster seems to have a agenda against Sibley.

Thought they both did okay cosidering they were only on the pitch for 15 minutes, Stretton a little unfortunate not to score.

Not a thing against Sibley or Stretton just believe they are not good enough hence they don't play much or score either. Neither seem sharp enough to execute those they get. 

2 hours ago, Rample said:

Or Rooney.

Cybulski, WGP, Richards and Foulkes also left out from last match.  

I presume CKR has left as no mention or sight of him. When was he due to return from injury? Are we waiting until then to make a decision?

Cybulski was watching in East Stand with his dad. Didn't look too thrilled to be left out.

5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Not a thing against Sibley or Stretton just believe they are not good enough hence they don't play much or score either. Neither seem sharp enough to execute those they get. 

I thought Sibley and Stretton were tidy and linked up well together in the limited time they were on the pitch. Stretton did OK, admittedly not world beating but then I'm not sure what you expect from our 3rd choice cf. Sometimes it's fine to take a game at face value and say a player did OK, even if it doesn't fit your ongoing narrative. If you haven't got a thing about Sibley or Stretton, why do you repeatedly single them out? 

A few random thoughts, having been to the game… 

Hourihane and McGoldrick look like proper, proper footballers. They should walk this league if we can keep them fit.  NML and Barkhuizen look like they’ll be useful but inconsistent, I think they’ll be frustrating, but will do enough to win a lot of games. Chester and Wildsmith both look good enough on the ball to play out from the back.  Roberts looks excellent - on that showing I’m more than happy for him to be our first choice left back all season.  Oduroh looks very raw - he was good going forward, but all over the place defensively. There’s definitely a player there, but I think he needs more time to develop.  Collins was very isolated at the start of the match, he barely touched the ball for half an hour. He started dropping deeper and getting more involved after that, but we probably need a careful think about how (and maybe when) we use him.  Bird just gets better and better. Both Stretton and Knight look like they’ve bulked up a bit over the summer.  There was a definite drop off in quality as subs came on and the experience levels in the team dropped, which is understandable of course, but it does highlight the lack of depth in places.

I think we definitely need a right back, a backup left back (presumably Fozzy) and another winger, and maybe a backup GK. But that aside, I’m pretty happy with how the squad is shaping up.

I thought it was ok today bearing in mind the heat and how recently many have signed. I think we have a team that will be competitive and in those dark days when CK money didnt show and it seemed so desperate, who would have thought this team would be assembled and playing. Looking forward to the season

11 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

A few random thoughts, having been to the game… 

Hourihane and McGoldrick look like proper, proper footballers. They should walk this league if we can keep them fit.  NML and Barkhuizen look like they’ll be useful but inconsistent, I think they’ll be frustrating, but will do enough to win a lot of games. Chester and Wildsmith both look good enough on the ball to play out from the back.  Roberts looks excellent - on that showing I’m more than happy for him to be our first choice left back all season.  Oduroh looks very raw - he was good going forward, but all over the place defensively. There’s definitely a player there, but I think he needs more time to develop.  Collins was very isolated at the start of the match, he barely touched the ball for half an hour. He started dropping deeper and getting more involved after that, but we probably need a careful think about how (and maybe when) we use him.  Bird just gets better and better. Both Stretton and Knight look like they’ve bulked up a bit over the summer.  There was a definite drop off in quality as subs came on and the experience levels in the team dropped, which is understandable of course, but it does highlight the lack of depth in places.

I think we definitely need a right back, a backup left back (presumably Fozzy) and another winger, and maybe a backup GK. But that aside, I’m pretty happy with how the squad is shaping up.

If Collins gets an injury early doors don’t you think we need another striker….I think we do…

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Yes and your 2nd home is Greggs ?

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed that morning in Greggs at PP!

DC had bought the club the day before and we were safe!

I sat outside Greggs with my sandwich and coffee and just soaked in all that I could see around me and was so grateful that it was still ours and hopefully for generations to come. ❤️

Nearly home, just having a dirty McDs before we get back.

I thought we were very good, particularly in the first half. Fully deserved the lead. A bit of rust still, undoubtedly, but considering how little time a lot of these players have had together I thought it was very promising. Dipped a bit in the second half, particularly with the mass rotation of personnel, but the only time Berlin really threatened was when we were a bit sloppy at the back and gifted them a few opportunities.

Youngest enjoyed himself. Ended up making up his own songs to sing but he proper got himself into it. We won as well so I’ve told him he’s obviously a lucky mascot so he’ll have to come to every game now! ?

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Me too, thought McGoldrick  was very good.  One small moan- Do we have to bait opposition fans for 90 mins? Don’t mind if it’s Man Utd.  But do we have to tell true fans of other clubs to F off home?Can we have a chant for Liam?

That's sad to hear especially as it's a 'friendly'. Not making any friends or welcoming fellow football fans, are we?