Wayne Rooney

roboto

I must admit I liked the way he galvanised the team with a "them against us" mentality during our relegation season. He gave us real hope. But after saying "I'm no quitter" .... he did quit... so I think  we probably didn't see the real Wayne Rooney. 

I've pasted below some info again off this site which also gives a feel for his tenure.....

Underpinning some of Cocu’s demise was the presence of Rooney. Talk of Cocu not particularly wanting Rooney at the club and the signing being thrust upon him was doing the rounds amid the squad in earnest. Rooney had been brought in as a player-coach, but did little in the way of coaching outside of sitting in on video sessions and passing on some advice to several players.

‘If he liked you, he’d offer you advice,’ Max Lowe remarked. ‘[Max] Bird, [Jason] Knight – they were his boys. I think he saw some of himself in them. He liked them. Waggy [Martyn Waghorn], too. But for some of the lads it was a bit hard to integrate with Wayne. Obviously we were at a different level from where he’d come from. I think it was hard to find a bit of common ground with him sometimes.’

Whispers had also spread through the squad that Rooney had a clause in his contract that he was going to be the next manager – something which created somewhat of an uneasy tension within the changing room.

‘Sometimes you didn’t feel like you were just playing with Wayne the player. You felt like it was an audition to see if the next manager wanted you there,’ said Lowe.

‘You’d come in on a Monday and we’d break out into our warm-ups and people would ask where Wayne was,’ Lowe said. ‘I think Waghorn would get a bit annoyed especially as he and Wayne would play on the PlayStation together and stuff – they were pretty close – then Wayne wouldn’t show the next day.

‘We never got told if it was a day off or if he was injured or excused for personal reasons. None of that. He just wasn’t there. Then obviously he’d come straight into the team at the weekend and it meant guys like Duane, or Graeme [Shinnie], or Knight, or [Krystian] Bielik had to drop out of the team.’

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I must admit I liked the way he galvanised the team with a "them against us" mentality during our relegation season. He gave us real hope. But after saying "I'm no quitter" .... he did quit... so I think  we probably didn't see the real Wayne Rooney. 

I've pasted below some info again off this site which also gives a feel for his tenure.....

Underpinning some of Cocu’s demise was the presence of Rooney. Talk of Cocu not particularly wanting Rooney at the club and the signing being thrust upon him was doing the rounds amid the squad in earnest. Rooney had been brought in as a player-coach, but did little in the way of coaching outside of sitting in on video sessions and passing on some advice to several players.

‘If he liked you, he’d offer you advice,’ Max Lowe remarked. ‘[Max] Bird, [Jason] Knight – they were his boys. I think he saw some of himself in them. He liked them. Waggy [Martyn Waghorn], too. But for some of the lads it was a bit hard to integrate with Wayne. Obviously we were at a different level from where he’d come from. I think it was hard to find a bit of common ground with him sometimes.’

Whispers had also spread through the squad that Rooney had a clause in his contract that he was going to be the next manager – something which created somewhat of an uneasy tension within the changing room.

‘Sometimes you didn’t feel like you were just playing with Wayne the player. You felt like it was an audition to see if the next manager wanted you there,’ said Lowe.

‘You’d come in on a Monday and we’d break out into our warm-ups and people would ask where Wayne was,’ Lowe said. ‘I think Waghorn would get a bit annoyed especially as he and Wayne would play on the PlayStation together and stuff – they were pretty close – then Wayne wouldn’t show the next day.

‘We never got told if it was a day off or if he was injured or excused for personal reasons. None of that. He just wasn’t there. Then obviously he’d come straight into the team at the weekend and it meant guys like Duane, or Graeme [Shinnie], or Knight, or [Krystian] Bielik had to drop out of the team.’

Do you have any other gossip? You posted Lowe's unhappiness and not being one of the 'in crowd' I reposted Jagielka's positive comments to media. It wasn't just about Rooney, it was about Rooney and Rosenior. 

So if we ignore all the gossip, positive and negative and just look at the season as it happened, whether Cocu was undermined or not, he was bought in by Mel. Mel made the decisions and he chose the Club's direction. Whether we saw the real Rooney or not what does that matter? We saw the result of the actions. As a club we benefitted from those actions whilst the EFL's football world swirled around us, he helped navigate those treacherous rapids.

Rooney the man, The negatives, Play the field with other women, Bemoans England fans, Not a particularly good football manager/coach and more, Plusses, Supports his wife in the wagatha christie case, Talks to DCFC staff who may be losing their jobs, Pays for transport to away games, Has a them and us mentality for DCFC.

A person that takes marmite to the extreme, A man that had a talent for football but you...can take the lad out of Croxteth but you can't take Croxteth out of the man.

I like the fella 👍

Rooney when he first came in as a player was a good addition but I think we were on our way up as a team anyway. He let himself go during lockdown and came back in such bad shape it was very poor. We would have been far better to have got rid once that season finished. But we didn't and we couldn't. His presence ultimately undermined the manager. I have no respect or love for his time here as player.

As a manager I also don't think he was very good at all. However, as a figurehead when we were really in the crap he was excellent and he showed everything he should have shown as a player. He held it together. Of course all of that is nearly undone by him happily riding and backing the Kirchner horse. I dread to think of that outcome.

Rooney gets away with a lot because people were and still are star struck. If his name had been Joe Bloggs instead of Wayne Rooney there's no chance his tenure would be viewed with even a fraction of the same positivity. I resent how we're supposed to see it as some kind of privilege that Rooney is connected to the club. He's struggling at DC because he isn't a good manager. He wasn't a good manager at Derby, and I doubt he'll be a good manager at whichever club is the next to decide they value publicity over skill.

58 minutes ago, Anon said:

Rooney gets away with a lot because people were and still are star struck. If his name had been Joe Bloggs instead of Wayne Rooney there's no chance his tenure would be viewed with even a fraction of the same positivity. I resent how we're supposed to see it as some kind of privilege that Rooney is connected to the club. He's struggling at DC because he isn't a good manager. He wasn't a good manager at Derby, and I doubt he'll be a good manager at whichever club is the next to decide they value publicity over skill.

Would this be a Joe Bloggs who went to work 40 hours a week, Married with 2 Children and a mortgage, Or would this be a Joe Bloggs who went from a council estate to be a world renowned footballer...asking for a friend 😉 

36 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I recall when he left us, he was reputed as saying that he wanted to spend more time with his family...which seemed strange...but I respected that... then next thing he's on the plane to USA where no doubt he'll be able to "play away" on a daily basis...just saying...

Let he that is without sin …..

On 28/08/2023 at 12:10, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I don’t buy into this Rooney did amazing things for Derby. 

He jumped ship as soon as we went down. 

He only left only after Clowes took over and they had a meeting. For all we know, the discussion could have been along the lines of Rooney's wages taking up a massive proportion of the wage bill. So if he stays he'll have a small budget, or if he leaves the next manager will have more to spend (with a much greater chance of going back up).

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Seems there are opposite views to yours @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army Maybe a bit like Mac & Simmo, Rooney and Rosenior made a good team.

Rooney did a really good job of galvanising the entire club during a unique set of events. However, it is 'easier' to motivate a group of players when you have something to fight for. If he took over a mid-table Championship side, I doubt he'd have much success.

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He only left only after Clowes took over and they had a meeting.

Clowes didn't have chance to speak to Wayne, he left before Clowes took over or spoke to him:

"We never had the opportunity to speak to Wayne or his agent Paul Stretford, because he had the meeting at the club the same day that we were announced as the preferred bidder," Clowes recalled. "I knew that meeting was going to take place and it was 50-50 whether Wayne was going to stay or not."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65959914

On 29/08/2023 at 02:18, The Last Post said:

Rooney the man, The negatives, Play the field with other women, Bemoans England fans, Not a particularly good football manager/coach and more, Plusses, Supports his wife in the wagatha christie case, Talks to DCFC staff who may be losing their jobs, Pays for transport to away games, Has a them and us mentality for DCFC.

A person that takes marmite to the extreme, A man that had a talent for football but you...can take the lad out of Croxteth but you can't take Croxteth out of the man.

I like the fella 👍

This.

A flawed man, but one I can't help but like. And I'll always be grateful to him for giving us what was, despite the relegation, one of my favourite ever seasons as a Derby supporter.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

On 29/08/2023 at 13:28, Terry Hennessy said:

I recall when he left us, he was reputed as saying that he wanted to spend more time with his family...which seemed strange...but I respected that... then next thing he's on the plane to USA where no doubt he'll be able to "play away" on a daily basis...just saying...

The number of times I read people on here say "I wouldn't blame him for walking away".  And then of course the first thing they do when he does walk away is blame him and re-write the history of his time with us with a negative spin.

I don’t get how any Derby fan could dislike Wayne Rooney - he was offered a good opportunity in his first management job but he really did work incredibly hard for this club in its darkest hour and inherited a massive mess. He didn’t need it, he could’ve left a long time before he did and I understand that he probably felt like he needed a fresh start. He was played around with the whole Kirchner situation too, don’t forget, as there was obviously a lot more to that behind the scenes.

Always welcome back for me. I don’t think he’s a brilliant manager, but he’s definitely capable and I think people who know him well gravitate to him. Anyone with any ill-feeling toward him baffles me. 

• 2 weeks later...