Wayne Rooney

roboto

For all the deserved praise we heap on WR for last season, is anyone else concerned that 3 days after Liam praises the work of the analyst Shuttleworth, that he leaves and is rumoured to be off to join WR at DC United?

Sounds like he's had a massive influence on the recruitment and could be a huge loss

Nothing but respect for what Rooney did whilst he was here - kept the club together whilst everything was falling apart around him. 

Strange move though especially as he wanted to spend more time with his family.  Didn't the recent court case mention relationship problems between him and Colleen?  Not sure living on the other side of the Atlantic is the cure to that but good luck to him. 

Except he didn't 'literally' leave when the takeover was announced. That is just false. You are the one who are lying.

I just can't get my head around why fans are now criticising Rooney over his decision. They spent all season commending his loyalty to the club and saying 'i can't believe he hasn't walked yet, who would blame him if he did.' And then when he finally does decide that he's had enough, he gets attacked. Bizarre. 

It was an odd decision to walk when he did i.e., when the mess was all but sorted. There was always talk of him being too close to the Kirchner bid and he did very publicly back it. Rooney's time is mixed, he had a borderline disgraceful time in the shirt at the back end of his stint and the beginning of his managerial career here was catastrophically bad producing the worst set of performances since the Phil Brown days of 05-06. However, this season he managed to inspire us to try and defy the impossible, possibly helping out with wages and equipment and kept us going when all seemed lost. I think he has tarnished his reputation leaving in this manner and it certainly does leave a sour taste tbh. The idea he wasn't talking to them as soon as Kirchner fell apart seems naive in the extreme to me too. 

So clearly there were cogs whirring in the background whilst he was still employed here.

Does that represent some kind of terrible betrayal on his part? Of course not, it's the reality of how football/life works. He had alternative employment options open to him, which should come as a surprise to precisely nobody, he's Wayne Rooney.

That's without even entering into a discussion about whether keeping Rooney as manager in League One was ever a remotely viable option.

Do I believe Rooney genuinely cared for this club and it's fanbase whilst here? Yes definitely.

Do I believe his PR team advised that sticking around until the end of last season was a no lose situation from a brand Rooney perspective? Also yes.

Derby go down, it's not his fault, everybody (rightfully) admires the character of the man for seeing it through regardless. His stock is high.

Derby stay up, the man is seen as the second coming of Jesus. His stock is high.

A move back to the MLS appears at face value to be a money/branding decision rather than a choice centred around managerial progression.

We now have a new owner, a new manager/squad and hopefully a bright new dawn to enjoy.

Good luck and best wishes to Wayne.

Kieran Maguire on his podcast this morning apparently said that his sources, DCFC were paying Rooney something like £865k a year as manager. According to his information, Kirchner offered him more than that to sign a three year contract at Derby, which is excessive for a L1 manager, so you do wonder if DC had made it clear that he couldn't pay that much and perhaps that was one reason why Rooney felt deflated by KIrchner's bid failing?

On 14/07/2022 at 14:56, Crewton said:

Kieran Maguire on his podcast this morning apparently said that his sources, DCFC were paying Rooney something like £865k a year as manager. According to his information, Kirchner offered him more than that to sign a three year contract at Derby, which is excessive for a L1 manager, so you do wonder if DC had made it clear that he couldn't pay that much and perhaps that was one reason why Rooney felt deflated by KIrchner's bid failing?

This has more than a ring of truth about it. Also possible that he was involved in the Stretford CK funding shenanigans, and that his conduct there contributed to the departure 

btw, how is it that we now know about the clause in his DC contract that says he can leave if the PL comes knocking ? I’d have thought it was a confidential provision (and DC certainly would not have leaked it).

On 13/07/2022 at 16:57, matty1986 said:

Do I believe his PR team advised that sticking around until the end of last season was a no lose situation from a brand Rooney perspective? Also yes.

Warnock was the only pundit who was brave enough to say this from what I heard. He basically said: ‘Rooney’s got the easiest job in the Championship, a free hit”. There was an embarrassed silence in the studio - all the other pundits had been rabbiting foolishly on about what a difficult job he had, how he was showing immense loyalty simply by staying. It was tosh, skilfully manufactured by a hefty PR effort which comically earned him the freedom of the city. Embarrassing.
Rooney deserves a lot of credit for recruiting and motivation. But I still think we had a team last season that, well handled, was quite capable of staying up. And the truth is we weren’t even close. Tom Lawrence as skipper are you kidding ?

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Warnock was the only pundit who was brave enough to say this from what I heard. He basically said: ‘Rooney’s got the easiest job in the Championship, a free hit”. There was an embarrassed silence in the studio - all the other pundits had been rabbiting foolishly on about what a difficult job he had, how he was showing immense loyalty simply by staying. It was tosh, skilfully manufactured by a hefty PR effort which comically earned him the freedom of the city. Embarrassing.
Rooney deserves a lot of credit for recruiting and motivation. But I still think we had a team last season that, well handled, was quite capable of staying up. And the truth is we weren’t even close. Tom Lawrence as skipper are you kidding ?

I wouldn't go as far as you have with the criticism. I honestly don't think anyone would have saved us from -21. I completely agree that last season was "a free hit" and it was a very smart move from brand Rooney to stick around. The truth is, it worked in terms of increasing his profile. Go to any mainstream football forum and you'll find it full of people wondering why Rooney took an MLS job when "he could have waited for a Premier League job". In what world does a manager who's only experience is getting relegated from the 2nd tier even get considered for a Premier League job?

On 13/07/2022 at 16:21, Rammy03 said:

Except he didn't 'literally' leave when the takeover was announced. That is just false. You are the one who are lying.

But didn’t he resign on 24 June and Clowes named as preferred bidder on 26th? Not exactly “literally” but close.

I'd never call working for a company in Administration an 'easy job', particularly in a position of responsibility. Rooney was having to deal with aspects of the club he would never have had to in a 'normal' situation, because of an absent owner and Administrators who are not, by nature, "people" people. He was never going to be criticised heavily by the fans for faling to keep us up, because most recognised he had his hands tied and had little control over the make-up of his playing squad, so in that respect it was a "no lose" situation, but easy? I don't believe so.

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Takeover was announced over a week after

Hang on tho, DC had already bought the ground - so he controlled the process - and he had announced an intention to buy the club. So Rooney’s claim that everything was still up in the air was absurd