Wayne Rooney

roboto

"Under former boss Wayne Rooney and assisted by Liam Rosenior, Derby were commended for the way they fought against the drop and united a club mired in crisis.

And Jagielka, who played with Rooney during the former England striker's second spell at Everton, said the pair were the ideal match.

"For starters it was hard for me not to call him Wazza," said Jagielka. "But Wayne and Liam Rosenior were a perfect combination. Liam was responsible for a lot of the coaching and Wayne did the managing.

"He made the decisions and was very clear on what he wanted. Every player looked up to him. He constantly reminded us that we had to make the best of a bad situation. That's probably why a group of youngsters and 'rejects' who'd been thrown together performed so well."

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.football365.com/news/manchester-united-rooney-dc-united-horrified-tiny-penis-bizarre-team-talk

Manchester United legend Wayne Rooney left the ‘majority’ of his DC United squad ‘bemused’ by a bizarre team talk over his small penis, according to reports.

Edited by GboroRam
Copyrighted material

• 2 months later...

No idea if this belongs here, but the thread title is apt, and the snippet below is far from worthy of it's own thread...

Plans to give Wayne Rooney the Freedom of Derby have been scrapped.
City councillors had been considering the idea in recognition of the former Derby County boss's commitment to the club when it entered administration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64453175

23 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

No idea if this belongs here, but the thread title is apt, and the snippet below is far from worthy of it's own thread...

Plans to give Wayne Rooney the Freedom of Derby have been scrapped.
City councillors had been considering the idea in recognition of the former Derby County boss's commitment to the club when it entered administration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64453175

He did well as the person holding the club together in that difficult time, but everyone's moved on. Fair enough.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I don’t buy into this Rooney did amazing things for Derby. 

He jumped ship as soon as we went down. 

I think he deserves some credit for sticking around as long as he did. Especially considering the s*** storm that was enveloping the club at the time.

I think he had no choice but to jump ship when he did. His position became somewhat untenable after he and his agent nailed their mast to the ill fated Kirchner takeover. 

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I think he deserves some credit for sticking around as long as he did. Especially considering the s*** storm that was enveloping the club at the time.

I think he had no choice but to jump ship when he did. His position became somewhat untenable after he and his agent nailed their mast to the ill fated Kirchner takeover. 

Rooney had to stay because his reputation as a manager would have started on the wrong foot. 

Rooney will get most of his management appointments because of his name, not what he is as a coach. 

I can see him going to Everton next and taking them down and that could be the last we see if him in management for a while 

On 16/11/2022 at 19:10, RoyMac5 said:

"Under former boss Wayne Rooney and assisted by Liam Rosenior, Derby were commended for the way they fought against the drop and united a club mired in crisis.

And Jagielka, who played with Rooney during the former England striker's second spell at Everton, said the pair were the ideal match.

"For starters it was hard for me not to call him Wazza," said Jagielka. "But Wayne and Liam Rosenior were a perfect combination. Liam was responsible for a lot of the coaching and Wayne did the managing.

"He made the decisions and was very clear on what he wanted. Every player looked up to him. He constantly reminded us that we had to make the best of a bad situation. That's probably why a group of youngsters and 'rejects' who'd been thrown together performed so well."

Seems there are opposite views to yours @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army Maybe a bit like Mac & Simmo, Rooney and Rosenior made a good team.

4 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Rooney had to stay because his reputation as a manager would have started on the wrong foot. 

Rooney will get most of his management appointments because of his name, not what he is as a coach. 

I can see him going to Everton next and taking them down and that could be the last we see if him in management for a while 

I doubt many people would have blinked an eye had he walked away. It was a unique set of circumstances that he, us as a club and fanbase found ourselves in. 

Granted you could flip it on his head and say he also had a free hit because it was such a hopeless situation. 

However, although in his personal life he has found himself in some, shall we say,  compromising situations, I thought he handled himself admirably professionally.  I have the utmost respect for him for that and would gladly shake his hand and buy him a beer for the way he carried the burdens of our club.