New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

We needed a RB, Jason Knight is not the solution for the season and Oduroh isn’t ready. 

May come back to bite us this one, unless we sign a free agent after the window 

Knight has been arguably our best player so far this season at right back, for me he's already looking a lot better than he did for a lot of last season. 

The only RB who may have been a potential was Stephen Kelly. He’s gone to West Brom and even then it was a long shot.

Everyone keeps saying let’s put Knight up the pitch but no one ever says who that would be at the expense of?

I actually don’t think his goal/assist return is quite there for being up the pitch. I’m perfectly happy with him at RB for us.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The only RB who may have been a potential was Stephen Kelly. He’s gone to West Brom and even then it was a long shot.

Everyone keeps saying let’s put Knight up the pitch but no one ever says who that would be at the expense of?

I actually don’t think his goal/assist return is quite there for being up the pitch. I’m perfectly happy with him at RB for us.

Stephen Kelly retired 5 years ago

Not sure I buy into this whole Oduroh is not ready talk. Having seen his development over the last few appearances I'm increasingly confident he is ready. 

We're in a league where on paper our squad is exceptional compared to most teams and you would think this team could hold its own in the championship. Because of that the pros of training up and giving experience to him outweigh the cons of a slightly weaker position. 

This is the first time for a long time we've had a true out and out winger on the right with NML. That's always going to make it tricky for the full back to support in attack. The link up between Dobbin (more of a wide forward) and Oduroh seems to play to his strengths. 

30 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Not sure I buy into this whole Oduroh is not ready talk. Having seen his development over the last few appearances I'm increasingly confident he is ready. 

We're in a league where on paper our squad is exceptional compared to most teams and you would think this team could hold its own in the championship. Because of that the pros of training up and giving experience to him outweigh the cons of a slightly weaker position. 

This is the first time for a long time we've had a true out and out winger on the right with NML. That's always going to make it tricky for the full back to support in attack. The link up between Dobbin (more of a wide forward) and Oduroh seems to play to his strengths. 

He’s a good footballer but at present his defensive work isn’t at the level it needs to be. He will learn from the experienced players in the squad and, if he’s handled correctly, will develop.

One for cup games. We’ve got a midfield that likes to play more than graft so there will be a lot of pressure on the defence, especially away from home. 

Let’s hope he learns quickly because his pace will help the central defenders.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Definitely not.

He was a liability at CB and offered nothing going forward at RB.

Can you honestly see him overlapping Mendez-Laing on the wing, or dribbling to the edge of the box and firing a shot in on goal, or tucking in next to Bird as an auxiliary playmaker?

I cant see him replacing Knight, you'd have to change the system for him to not push on as much but i still think he's a solid back up at this level, i dont know who else is out there to be honest.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s a good footballer but at present his defensive work isn’t at the level it needs to be. He will learn from the experienced players in the squad and, if he’s handled correctly, will develop.

One for cup games. We’ve got a midfield that likes to play more than graft so there will be a lot of pressure on the defence, especially away from home. 

Let’s hope he learns quickly because his pace will help the central defenders.

Agreed, I think that I've seen enough of Oduroh, to think he'll easily cope at this level. We have to remember that he's a young lad playing in front of big crowds for the first team and unlike the likes of Bogle and Lowe, he is new to the club and doesn't get that free hit of being 'one of our own'.

55 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I cant see him replacing Knight, you'd have to change the system for him to not push on as much but i still think he's a solid back up at this level, i dont know who else is out there to be honest.

That's the point. We'd have to change the system and weaken the team considerably to accommodate him.

10 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

That would make sense then ?

It also makes sense to get some bodies in to our Academy teams, as they've been denuded to the point they're in danger of losing every game, and that isn't great for the development of those youngsters who are ours. Signing a couple of loanees to bolster the numbers isn't going to break the system. I'd also look at signing a couple of veterans like Stearman to play regularly with the u21s, just to coax them along.

47 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Transfer Window Summary:

Team rebuilt for zero fees. Rooney potential gem.

BIG WIN: we kept Knight, Bird, Sibley & Cashin 

A stupendously good window. Exceeded my expectations by far.

To retain those 4 it looks to me as if we will need to go up this season and to be threatening to do that when the January window opens. Right now it feels as if people are enjoying the novelty of the division, but if we're stuck down here for more than this season it's going to become a very miserable place.

There's plenty of free agents available still. Could Derby be an attractive prospect for some if they are able to put themselves in the shop window. There's also experience out there that could support some of our younger players.

At RB Andre Wisdom is still available. I presume he would be out of match practice but he's hardly a pensioner as some opposition fans our calling some of our players. Liam Grimshaw has been released by Motherwell. His primary position is RB, but he can play at CB or CM. at 27 I presume he still has plenty to offer. From what I've seen he is a consistent 6/10 player, which isn't the worst thing to have. Danny Simpson was at Bristol City last year and is also available. Despite being 35 he could be a useful addition. If I'm right he played a useful role in Leicester's premier league winning season, so he could be able to support Oduroh and Knight's development at RB and allow Knight to play in the middle when needed.

Up front you obviously still have Vydra available, but from what I can find we may be limited by the restrictions we're under. Could we entice Daniel Sturridge to the club on a short term deal? Apparently he used to support the club, while Dean was here and agin it could put him in the shop window for any championship / struggling premier league clubs. Oumar Niasse is available having left Burton Albion. Having scored 3 in 12 goals in a struggling Burton side, could we maybe get a bit more out of him with the likes of McGoldrick and Hourihane? I doubt Andy Carroll would join us, especially with Wolves considering him, but could 10 goals in 15 games persuade a struggling premier league team to take a chance on him? Yaya Sanogo was a striker with a lot of promise that hasn't been shown. Could Rosenior get more out of him like Ravel Morrison last year. Sam Winall is another one but it seems he struggled at Oxford.

Could signing a player like Scott Sinclair boost the team. He's someone who could come off the bench in place of one of the wingers, which would allow Sibley to play centrally in his best position. I liked the look of Grant Ward when I've seen him play before. He's currently recovering from an achilles injury, but I can see him being a useful member of the squad when back fit. He's also only 27 so has plenty of time left in his career.

15 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

There's plenty of free agents available still. Could Derby be an attractive prospect for some if they are able to put themselves in the shop window. There's also experience out there that could support some of our younger players.

At RB Andre Wisdom is still available. I presume he would be out of match practice but he's hardly a pensioner as some opposition fans our calling some of our players. Liam Grimshaw has been released by Motherwell. His primary position is RB, but he can play at CB or CM. at 27 I presume he still has plenty to offer. From what I've seen he is a consistent 6/10 player, which isn't the worst thing to have. Danny Simpson was at Bristol City last year and is also available. Despite being 35 he could be a useful addition. If I'm right he played a useful role in Leicester's premier league winning season, so he could be able to support Oduroh and Knight's development at RB and allow Knight to play in the middle when needed.

Up front you obviously still have Vydra available, but from what I can find we may be limited by the restrictions we're under. Could we entice Daniel Sturridge to the club on a short term deal? Apparently he used to support the club, while Dean was here and agin it could put him in the shop window for any championship / struggling premier league clubs. Oumar Niasse is available having left Burton Albion. Having scored 3 in 12 goals in a struggling Burton side, could we maybe get a bit more out of him with the likes of McGoldrick and Hourihane? I doubt Andy Carroll would join us, especially with Wolves considering him, but could 10 goals in 15 games persuade a struggling premier league team to take a chance on him? Yaya Sanogo was a striker with a lot of promise that hasn't been shown. Could Rosenior get more out of him like Ravel Morrison last year. Sam Winall is another one but it seems he struggled at Oxford.

Could signing a player like Scott Sinclair boost the team. He's someone who could come off the bench in place of one of the wingers, which would allow Sibley to play centrally in his best position. I liked the look of Grant Ward when I've seen him play before. He's currently recovering from an achilles injury, but I can see him being a useful member of the squad when back fit. He's also only 27 so has plenty of time left in his career.

No to most of that but would take Carrol ?

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite the right place, but ...

The Rams' new head coach was interested in midfielder Conor Hourihane, striker David McGoldrick and also spoke to Korey Smith when he was in charge at Rotherham.

But all three ended up at the Rams as part of an impressive recruitment drive that saw 14 players arrive at Pride Park in what was a breathless flurry of activity. And Warne is now looking forward to managing them after he made the switch from the Millers last week.

Warne said: "I liked Conor. I liked Korey. I knew he was available and spoke to Korey. I liked Didz (David McGoldrick). I got a lot of noes let me tell you. The first team meeting was all right. I said you can get out, you didn't want to play for me and you can get out! I got gazumped.

As a group, they are amazing. I know they are really good people because they would not have got through my filter system if they had issues. I am really pleased and, in a weird way, even though I didn't sign any of them, I feel like I know them. I know that sounds a bit crazy. I did that much research on them so it felt like a friendly face."