James Collins - Signed for 2 years

Ambitious

6 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He lives near me in Bramcote on same estate where Jozefzoon used to live. Think Cyrus Christie rented there as well at one point. Easy access to a52 he could be at Moor Farm in 15 mins on a good day. 

Shows footballers are professionals and we shouldn’t expect them to have same ideals as fans given McGoldrick grew up a red dog and played for Forest, they treated him badly though given he wasn’t exactly good for them hence his nickname McGoaldrought. 

I think he’s a great signing, intelligent player, a team player, will get the best out of others even if he doesn’t get loads of goals himself. Signing him and potentially Collins shows plan a is to have a number 9 playing with back to goal and bringing others into play, a tactic that served us well for a long time until we lost a certain number 9.

There you go then, he’s clearly chosen location over the money. Fair play to him. 

Ex-Forest players are always controversial, especially given he didn’t do well there. It was a long time ago though, and I think he’s evolved as a player since then. People have to understand that his game isn’t about scoring goals as much as bringing others into play and providing assists. The goals would come from someone like Collins, a proven goalscorer in League One. McGoldrick is very effective at what he does, so we need to judge him on that rather than his ability as a “poacher”.

FWIW, I’m not 100% sure he is a Forest fan. He was born in Nottingham but started his career at Notts County. Plausibly supports them in that case, which isn’t an issue.

5 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Look on Wiki pal. The striker Collins started at Villa but never played for them. 

The one we are after lived in Twycross/Market Bosworth area while he was at Luton - moved the whole family to Cardiff - not sure if he kept his house in the area and rented it out but if he did its only 30 mins from Derby so would be convenient. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

There you go then, he’s clearly chosen location over the money. Fair play to him. 

Ex-Forest players are always controversial, especially given he didn’t do well there. It was a long time ago though, and I think he’s evolved as a player since then. People have to understand that his game isn’t about scoring goals as much as bringing others into play and providing assists. The goals would come from someone like Collins, a proven goalscorer in League One. McGoldrick is very effective at what he does, so we need to judge him on that rather than his ability as a “poacher”.

FWIW, I’m not 100% sure he is a Forest fan. He was born in Nottingham but started his career at Notts County. Plausibly supports them in that case, which isn’t an issue.

Yeah I’ve seen the Notts County quotes since. Good lad!! 

Yeah his game is all about bringing others into play. A proper no 9 but could also do a 10 job,  Collins is a proper no 9, we’ve had to rely on Kazim since Martin left, clear intent we’re going to play with a proper no 9 who will hold the ball rather than the Lampard approach, which in hindsight I’m not sure there was an approach apart from give the ball to Mount and Wilson and give Marriott the odd through ball.

Looking at this guys stats there extremely poor why the importance of getting him ? .  He is hardly a goal scorer . Surely we can get a hold up merchant who pops a few more in than this guy . Or am i missing something about this one . 

3 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Looking at this guys stats there extremely poor why the importance of getting him ? .  He is hardly a goal scorer . Surely we can get a hold up merchant who pops a few more in than this guy . Or am i missing something about this one . 

Backup to our first choice CF and good option off the bench. We want Collins to be our main man and would be a good bet for 20 goals next season.

11 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

I think the thing about Collins is that he will be a pain to centre halves and will always be a threat when we get crosses in. We haven’t had an aerial threat in the box for years.

What we need is a nippy partner either to start or to come on later in the game when McGoldrick/ Collins get tired.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the thing about Collins is that he will be a pain to centre halves and will always be a threat when we get crosses in. We haven’t had an aerial threat in the box for years.

What we need is a nippy partner either to start or to come on later in the game when McGoldrick/ Collins get tired.

0_rams-10.thumb.jpg.466b8251500a71ad3fb9090e3ddbb127.jpg

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

I thought his stats showed a 1 in 3 strike rate over his career?

James Collins (footballer, born 1990) - Wikipedia

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

10 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I thought his stats showed a 1 in 3 strike rate over his career?

James Collins (footballer, born 1990) - Wikipedia

Yep. Consistently a 1 in 3 throughout his career with a couple of 1 in 2s. Last two seasons have seen him dip quite a bit. 10 in 42 for Luton prior to joining Cardiff, where I would put his strike rate down to manager decisions. Cardiff were absolutely awful for the first third of the season. Morrison came in and dropped him to start with, but he still scored 3 in 10 before being dropped for the 2nd half of the season.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yep. Consistently a 1 in 3 throughout his career with a couple of 1 in 2s. Last two seasons have seen him dip quite a bit. 10 in 42 for Luton prior to joining Cardiff, where I would put his strike rate down to manager decisions. Cardiff were absolutely awful for the first third of the season. Morrison came in and dropped him to start with, but he still scored 3 in 10 before being dropped for the 2nd half of the season.

I think the more relevant stat is the 25 goals he scored in a season the last time he was in league 1 for Luton when they were promoted to the championship