James Collins - Signed for 2 years

Ambitious

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’ve been told his wages are too big.

I guess the likes of McGoldric and Hairyhands have had many seasons on high wages and could  be happy to sacrifice a bit of dough for and interesting “project” at a nearby team (assumption they have houses not that far away) with good facilities. 
Where as Collins has just had a short championship spell with for the first time high wage and quite reasonably would prefer similar to what he was on at Cardiff

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I guess the likes of McGoldric and Hairyhands have had many seasons on high wages and could  be happy to sacrifice a bit of dough for and interesting “project” at a nearby team (assumption they have houses not that far away) with good facilities. 
Where as Collins has just had a short championship spell with for the first time high wage and quite reasonably would prefer similar to what he was on at Cardiff

I am surprised we’ve been able to afford McGoldrick and Hourihane, as you say they must have taken a big pay cut. Good to see players who just want to play football. Collins wage I would think is lower, so we may be able to afford to meet it anyway.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I am surprised we’ve been able to afford McGoldrick and Hourihane, as you say they must have taken a big pay cut. Good to see players who just want to play football. Collins wage I would think is lower, so we may be able to afford to meet it anyway.

There’s more than just wages involved in a football transfer for example both those two lads were mainly sat on a bench last season and it’s a good sign that they actually want to play regularly in addition to the fact that they are very local to our area for travel to work and may well have wives who don’t want to move house just for a couple of years or have to move possible children away from school or friends. There’s also another reason - we are still a very big club and both saw the support we gave the team both home and away last season and might fancy a similar atmosphere.

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It's not really a pay cut when you're out of contract though.  The only real question is what other clubs are offering them.  A lot of clubs are struggling post-COVID, and will be cutting their spending accordingly.  If we're competing with the likes of Luton and Huddersfield, then I doubt they are offering them similar terms to what they were on last season either.

28 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

There’s more than just wages involved in a football transfer for example both those two lads were mainly sat on a bench last season and it’s a good sign that they actually want to play regularly in addition to the fact that they are very local to our area for travel to work and may well have wives who don’t want to move house just for a couple of years or have to move possible children away from school or friends. There’s also another reason - we are still a very big club and both saw the support we gave the team both home and away last season and might fancy a similar atmosphere.

Absolutely, it’s good to see players making moves based on reasons other than just money. Would add that McGoldrick was born in Nottingham so makes sense to stay local rather than move to Middlesbrough.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not really a pay cut when you're out of contract though.  The only real question is what other clubs are offering them.  A lot of clubs are struggling post-COVID, and will be cutting their spending accordingly.  If we're competing with the likes of Luton and Huddersfield, then I doubt they are offering them similar terms to what they were on last season either.

Oh yeah, I don’t expect either have been offered their previous wages matched by anywhere. But I do feel Championship clubs will still be offering decent money, so I’m pleasantly surprised they’ve chosen to come here instead.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely, it’s good to see players making moves based on reasons other than just money. Would add that McGoldrick was born in Nottingham so makes sense to stay local rather than move to Middlesbrough.

And who the duck would want anything to do with that bloodleech of a club anyway......I hope, prey they someday go through what we have

Edited by BriggRam

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

He lives near me in Bramcote on same estate where Jozefzoon used to live. Think Cyrus Christie rented there as well at one point. Easy access to a52 he could be at Moor Farm in 15 mins on a good day. 

Shows footballers are professionals and we shouldn’t expect them to have same ideals as fans given McGoldrick grew up a red dog and played for Forest, they treated him badly though given he wasn’t exactly good for them hence his nickname McGoaldrought. 

I think he’s a great signing, intelligent player, a team player, will get the best out of others even if he doesn’t get loads of goals himself. Signing him and potentially Collins shows plan a is to have a number 9 playing with back to goal and bringing others into play, a tactic that served us well for a long time until we lost a certain number 9.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He lives near me in Bramcote on same estate where Jozefzoon used to live. Think Cyrus Christie rented there as well at one point. Easy access to a52 he could be at Moor Farm in 15 mins on a good day. 

Shows footballers are professionals and we shouldn’t expect them to have same ideals as fans given McGoldrick grew up a red dog and played for Forest, they treated him badly though given he wasn’t exactly good for them hence his nickname McGoaldrought. 

I think he’s a great signing, intelligent player, a team player, will get the best out of others even if he doesn’t get loads of goals himself. Signing him and potentially Collins shows plan a is to have a number 9 playing with back to goal and bringing others into play, a tactic that served us well for a long time until we lost a certain number 9.

Can you pop round to his house and refuse to leave until he’s signed (Brian Clough style)?