What is your favourite song of all time?

Eddie

i don't have a favorite song anymore, but i did to the point of obsessing over it.

The message i got from the song was not to fear anything or anyone.  Guess i was tired of fear.  It didn't work though and i learned later that to lose fear comes at the high price of first losing almost everything else.

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's a terrible question, in that if you asked me every day for a year, I'd give you 300+ answers!

So much of the enjoyment of music is down to mood, environment, company, etc, that I find it hard to believe people who can name the one song and stand by it.

Agreed.

My favourite today is Zombies by The Cranberries having just watched the official video for the first time.

Such a hard question and as the others said, it depends day but day. However here goes 

Slide Away : Oasis

Stand by Me: Ben E King 

Fast Car: Tracy Chapman

This Charming Man: The Smiths 

Unfinished Sympathy : Massive Attack 

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Such a hard question and as the others said, it depends day but day. However here goes 

I'd maybe change The Smiths song to There is a Light but other than that a cracking choice

56 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Went to see Oasis at Earls Court, I think it was just before Morning Glory was released, or maybe shortly after. 

I'd seen them twice before, in much smaller venues, so I knew they didn't do encores. 

The gig finished, so I suggest to the missus that we'll grab a drink in the pub before getting the coach back home, no point in hanging around.

Nip for a pint, and am surprised we're still first back on the bus. 

Cue everyone clambering aboard minutes later, excitedly chatting away about the encore of I am the Walrus, featuring the Bootleg Beatles, and Slide Away (also my fav Oasis song), I was gutted to put it mildly.

The cleaners have to chuck me out of gigs to this day!

2 hours ago, Rev said:

It's a terrible question, in that if you asked me every day for a year, I'd give you 300+ answers!

So much of the enjoyment of music is down to mood, environment, company, etc, that I find it hard to believe people who can name the one song and stand by it.

Get off that fence!

9 hours ago, stejawh said:

I'd maybe change The Smiths song to There is a Light but other than that a cracking choice

It was a close call between the two actually (and it changes day to day)

18 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It was a close call between the two actually (and it changes day to day)

I Know It's Over' - (live version) is my favourite and better than both IMO, and I prefer 'Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me' as well. 

If you are going maudlin, go all the way!

I would agree with a previous poster that songs evoke different emotions at different times and so it’s difficult to pick one ‘favourite’ but I have always liked one of the campest songs of all time and that’s Say hello, wave goodbye.

Soft Cell did a good version but the one Marc Almond does with Jools Holland is immense.

I sing along like I’m Alan Carr (as long as no one is looking) ?