What is your favourite song of all time?

Eddie

55 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I like to think that once you've listened to this one, late at night with a whiskey in hand - you won't ever have to wonder what your favourite song is ever again. Pure emotion that just builds and builds. Matchless

Never heard that before.  I kinda understand what you mean, but her voice has given me a migraine!

My song of choice in that specific circumstance would be...

If I want a song to pick me up and wrap round me like a warm blanket then it is this one. Takes me all the way back to times when my only care in the world was working out how to finish off the roof on a Lego house without it all collapsing in and whether I would be getting the Action Man with eagle eyes for Christmas. I love the layers of it as well, it is just so perfectly crafted.

Of course, if you're not in my age bracket, it will just be a theme tune to a tv series you've likely never heard of.

I've selected a few from the heavy rock genre which, in some cases, would not be the most obvious...

AC/DC - Touch Too Much

Ozzy - Flying High Again

Black Sabbath - Wishing Well

Aerosmith - Combination

Kiss - Take Me

Ted Nugent - Venom Soup

Iron Maiden - Total Eclipse

Motorhead - The Chase is Better than the Catch

Whitesnake - She's a Woman

Scorpions - Make it Real

Hendrix - Fire

Styx - Great White Hope

4 minutes ago, TimRam said:

I've selected a few from the heavy rock genre which, in some cases, would not be the most obvious...

AC/DC - Touch Too Much

Ozzy - Flying High Again

Black Sabbath - Wishing Well

Aerosmith - Combination

Kiss - Take Me

Ted Nugent - Venom Soup

Iron Maiden - Total Eclipse

Motorhead - The Chase is Better than the Catch

Whitesnake - She's a Woman

Scorpions - Make it Real

Hendrix - Fire

Styx - Great White Hope

Strange that Uli Roth from The Scorpions has probably played their song on the guitar that Hendrix played the next song on your list.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/uli_jon_roth_says_he_turned_down_7-9_million_from_arab_arts_dealer_to_sell_jimi_hendrix_black_strat.html

On 01/04/2022 at 08:07, Anag Ram said:

I would agree with a previous poster that songs evoke different emotions at different times and so it’s difficult to pick one ‘favourite’ but I have always liked one of the campest songs of all time and that’s Say hello, wave goodbye.

Soft Cell did a good version but the one Marc Almond does with Jools Holland is immense.

I sing along like I’m Alan Carr (as long as no one is looking) ?

Say hello wave goodbye is a brilliant track I love it. 
Love the line you in a cocktail dress and me in a suit, well it just wasn’t me. 
I love singing along to all the words pretending I can sing proper, but can’t help singing, well it just wasn’t me, just like Alan Carr every time.?

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very, very tough and as has been said, it changes for many reasons. But to be true to the thread, instead of a list I'm just giving you one. And it is One, by U2. Magnificent.

Certainly one off my list. Others high on the list:

Meat Loaf - For Crying Out Loud

Black - Wonderful Life

James - One of the Three

REM - Everybody Hurts

Cranberries - Zombie 

Radiohead - Creep

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven 

Robbie Williams - Angels

INXS - Need You Tonight 

I honestly couldn't choose just one song because as many have said it depends on the moment, but if my life depended on it I suppose..... I don't know...... at this precise moment.... U2 - One.