Fans are our own worst enemy at times

IlsonDerby

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

This song was sung in the south stand at the sheff utd match and got louder each time, with more joining in each time, expect it to be very loud at boro.

As for not having many friends,  have we ever? And who cares.

And these " morons " are the same people going home and away every game and are the ones driving the players on with their vocal support.

Singing songs that you don't like doesn't make someone a moron, otherwise the majority of the popside, ossie end and C stand would have been classed as morons.

As for Gibson, he's up there with Thatcher for me.

Well apologies then. I was at the Sheffield United game and don’t recall hearing a song about Gibson dying (maybe my hearing isn’t as good as it used to be or it wasn’t as loud as you may think). I was referring to a video posted (which I suspect many of us have not seen) which I assumed was particularly offensive.

What do you think about the Billy Sharpe song? Is that acceptable because it’s song by “our boys driving the players on”?

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Not really Mel was overly confident, arrogant and liked the publicity (then). Everything he did was high profile and he rubbed people's noses in it like the original Rooney deal with 32red. "Treat people well on your way up as they'll still be there when you plummet back down" has never been truer and we are bearing the brunt as his club's fans.  Also we have those historical deep rivalries that I am not aware of for Reading (may be my ignorance) with other clubs. 

Hmmm. Is it not more the case that those most irate are the ones who saw the "Mel's Got The EFL On Strings" meme and thought it had been knocked up by someone at the club, rather than an internet Bantersaurus?

As for this assertion:

Mel was overly confident, arrogant and liked the publicity (then)

I wouldn't particularly argue with that, but I've met quite a few wealthy people, male and female, through work, and very few of them didn't fit the first two adjectives (I could add a few more too, none of them complimentary!), and I'd say if you're buying your local team, you'd better get used to the third. The likes of Marinakis and Abramovic are remote, even if the latter was often seen at games until losing his rights to a Visa - they never speak directly, either in person or in print. That's preferable perhaps, until fans want answers and suddenly demand to hear from the owner.

However, I think criticism of the Rooney/32Red thing is simply annoyance that their teams, if sponsored by 32Red, could have done the same thing but didn't.

I agree though, it all feeds into the narrative that's still being peddled - now we're "cheating" the taxman, SJA etc etc, as if any DCFC fans wouldn't prefer it if we'd paid all our debts and not got into this hole.

I suspect Reading get off lightly for the very reasons you suggest, and the fact that consecutive owners since the Russian guy have never achieved national notoriety, even though some of their commercial deals stink to high heaven.

36 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Gibson has set his stall out to destroy a football club irrespective of the human cost. From here on out, he deserves everything he gets. He displays no sense of shame at all, so why would angry fans?

Wishing death on him is too far. People like Morris and Gibson can be hated, and derided but there are lines that should not be crossed. 
Any Boro fans reading this- majority of DCFC fans would reject sickening chants no matter what fanbase they come from. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

Does anybody know if those Twitter spaces/council meetings thingys are still carrying on this week?

If so if posters are concerned about certain chants and wanting us to show a more positive message it might be worth talking about on there. They’ve been pretty well represented so it would probably be worth trying to get the message out in a constructive way?

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Does anybody know if those Twitter spaces/council meetings thingys are still carrying on this week?

If so if posters are concerned about certain chants and wanting us to show a more positive message it might be worth talking about on there. They’ve been pretty well represented so it would probably be worth trying to get the message out in a constructive way?

90% of fans of every club are decent people

10% are downright scumbags with little to no intelligence

You can argue on % split but a clubs fans is a cross section of society. 

I've not heard the chant and I'm pretty sure it's bad and don't confone such actions.

There are ways and means of a retort to someone who is wronging you but if you have the intelligence of a pea then you will just be a guttermouth.

6 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

The Boro match could be a bit explosive. I imagine unsavoury chants and actions by both sets of fans could happen 

Indeed and when a faction of our fans possibly react by things escalating we are playing right into EFL hands with a massive fine and further points reduction by failing to control our fans, you can just see it coming. 

36 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

90% of fans of every club are decent people

10% are downright scumbags with little to no intelligence

You can argue on % split but a clubs fans is a cross section of society. 

I've not heard the chant and I'm pretty sure it's bad and don't confone such actions.

There are ways and means of a retort to someone who is wronging you but if you have the intelligence of a pea then you will just be a guttermouth.

Not wishing to split hairs with you, but I would suggest that a good percentage of your stated 10% wouldn't actually be scumbags per se.

They're probably easily lead, trying to belong within a group of mates, just joining in for Shih Tz and giggles without actually meaning what they're singing or even giving its content much thought.

These sorts of chants have been around for years, the strongest reaction they'll usually get out of me is a roll of my eyes or maybe a ffs under my breath. 

What does infuriate me about these being aimed Gibson though is that they give the smug little turd the opportunity to claim the moral high-ground. Not a very wise thing to do.

15 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Indeed and when a faction of our fans possibly react by things escalating we are playing right into EFL hands with a massive fine and further points reduction by failing to control our fans, you can just see it coming. 

What could we possibly do to get a massive fine and points deduction 

Honestly, I couldn't give less of a damn. I saw the video today as been away all weekend and I thought it's not something I'd join in with but it's hardly surprising given what Gibson is doing. He's actively taking part in the potential murder of a more than century old institution that with its end could bring financial turmoil and misery on to thousands of people. Is it really any surprise people are wishing that bar steward ill?