Jason Knight

Heisenberg

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That contract was announced after 7 first team games. You really think we gave him £13.5k that soon or going off that SalarySport rubbish?

No, it was in the Telegraph a couple of years ago when he moved. Why I can't remember.  I think Derby would have paid whatever at the time to be honest.

25 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Just wondering, if we did get £5m for Knight , we cannot use the money for transfer fees as we are not allowed any paid for signings for this and next season ?

I think we can use it for wages but not Transfer fees.  I'm really 50/50 about selling Knight he's a great player but as one of the only players we'd get some good money for we could use  the cash to add to the squad on the whole, making us stronger across the board, 

2 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Just wondering, if we did get £5m for Knight , we cannot use the money for transfer fees as we are not allowed any paid for signings for this and next season ?

We have a max player wage bill of £8m and total losses for the season can be £8m. I think it's just how the budget currently falls that means we can't pay fees for players. If we did sell someone for £5m, we would probably be allowed to spend some of it on a signing, but why would we? We're assembling a good squad based on the academy, frees and loans. We'll fill the gap left by Knight via one of those three methods.

18 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

No, it was in the Telegraph a couple of years ago when he moved. Why I can't remember.  I think Derby would have paid whatever at the time to be honest.

It was after he was done for speeding and he argued that he only had something ridiculous left a month after all his outgoings. It disclosed his salary there, but I thought it was £9k-a-week (it was) - https://www.itv.com/news/central/2019-10-24/derby-county-player-convicted-of-speeding-in-village

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We would miss Knight for sure but the money we get could be used on wages for new signings elsewhere.

If we're just going to use him as a right back I don't think we will particularly miss him. Don't get me wrong I think he is a good player, but only when he is playing in the midfield - not at right back.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Thought Knight was very good at fullback on Saturday. I would keep him in that position as I think he could be very effective. Might have stumbled into his best position.

He certainly saved a goal against on Saturday with his covering across the forward who went through the middle in the first half 

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Thought Knight was very good at fullback on Saturday. I would keep him in that position as I think he could be very effective. Might have stumbled into his best position.

I'm inclined to agree. A number of posters have said it's a waste playing him at RB but it's possibly the position where we are currently at our weakest and based on last Saturday he looks to have solved that problem. We've recruited midfielders to play alongside Bird and although I accept that Knights' best position is in central midfield, rather than look for a more than decent RB to free him up as another midfield option I would much prefer we concentrate on strengthening the wing and central striking positions.

1 minute ago, Tricky1884 said:

15 million might be a little hopeful mate

I dont see why not

He is full Ireland international and starting scoring with them and certainly more than comparably of playing higher level saying premiership club.

Can't stand the argument that Knight should keep playing RB really, we need his drive and energy and goal scoring ability at CM. In this system and in this league he will be very good at CM, in a 4231 he is not a holder or a wide player or a 10 but he is made for the RCM spot in a 433 and that's where he should play. 

I know he can play RB but we should just sign a proper RB who we can rely on defensively or play Smith there and then play Knight in the middle.  He will have more impact on the game in the middle for sure, he's not that good a crosser or long passer that he's going to be having a big attacking impact from RB. But going forward from CM in this league going off Saturday he will be outstanding. 

2 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Don't kid yourselves that we can strengthen by letting our best players leave. Worked with Kevin Wilson, because we had Bobby Davison. Jason Knight is different gravy to anything we could get to replace him.

If we can strengthen other positions and give the squad greater depth, it's not necessarily a bad thing. There's always an "if" of course. Peterborough regularly sell their best player but always seem to find another one.