The Administration Thread

Boycie

44 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We've had no discussion with Wycombe and he's personally spoke to senior board members at other clubs who are unhappy they've had to take loans to pay HMRC when we won't have to pay everything.  No poo Sherlock.

Exactly, this is incredibly annoying. It's just how administration works - creditors including HMRC get what the new buyer will pay (if accepted), rather than the full amount. This has been known for a very long time. That's why the EFL punishes clubs that go into administration with a points penalty. We were given that penalty. We accepted that penalty.

If the EFL or member clubs have decided that penalty should be stiffer, change it. But that doesn't affect Derby - you can't apply any rule change retrospectively.

If there's a problem with clubs having to take out loans to pay HMRC because of Covid, that's a separate issue. (By all means, put yourselves into administration too, if you think it's such a brilliant tax dodge.)

Edited by vonwright

13 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I do know however that industry standard is important to look at though for accountancy practitioners, so I definitely think whoever was in charge of this strategy, Pearce maybe? really made a poor choice.

Let's not ignore the FACT every practicing accountant involved in the case deemed the policy to be compliant.

15 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I do know however that industry standard is important to look at though for accountancy practitioners, so I definitely think whoever was in charge of this strategy, Pearce maybe? really made a poor choice.

I seem to remember Morris saying something along the lines of FRS102 had changed the reporting requirements (compared to the previous standard), so they felt the industry standard was no longer applicable.  Obviously take it with a pinch of salt etc etc.

28 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

That is true. Certainly, where is the evidence of 'cheating?' There isn't. There was no cheating of the rules and I challenge any Boro or Forest fan to tell me otherwise! I do know however that industry standard is important to look at though for accountancy practitioners, so I definitely think whoever was in charge of this strategy, Pearce maybe? really made a poor choice. If Derby cheated, shall we assume all the upcoming clubs who breached FFP will be labelled as cheats? I assume they will also get deducted points regardless of COVID arguments as force majeure was not an argument Derby could use. I also assume that if there suddenly COVID does qualify as exemption, Derby will get some of their points back. I assume the EFL will deal with this quickly- conforming this season that COVID will not count as exemptions for FFP in the years 2020/21 so that DCFC has been fairly treated, and not let the season finish then change the rules ...hmmmmmm

Totally agree and you put it much better than I would have. It should really be forwarded to Parry.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let's not ignore the FACT every practicing accountant involved in the case deemed the policy to be compliant.

How did clubs amortise before Bosman ruling came in? Did they estimate what a player would be worth at the end of the players contract and then apply straight line amortisation to that estimated value? 

or is they just take whatever the value of the players value is from time time and if lower than what they paid that’s the depreciated value. 

I suspect the latter … which isn’t much different from what Derby’s method was . So why should Bosman have changed the accounting standard? It just meant most clubs decided to be prudent , I think.. it changed the normal practice but didn’t change the rule. 

Derbys method was less prudent but not in breach of any rule as far as I can tell. 

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

How did clubs amortise before Bosman ruling came in? Did they estimate what a player would be worth at the end of the players contract and then apply straight line amortisation to that estimated value? 

or is they just take whatever the value of the players value is from time time and if lower than what they paid that’s the depreciated value. 

I suspect the latter … which isn’t much different from what Derby’s method was . So why should Bosman have changed the accounting standard? It just meant most clubs decided to be prudent , I think.. it changed the normal practice but didn’t change the rule. 

Derbys method was less prudent but not in breach of any rule as far as I can tell. 

Yes, before Bosman a players registration was kept by the club once a contract expired. So the club had an end value, Bosman argued this was unfair and a player should become a free agent at the end of a contract.

26 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Didn't they just work with buckets full of cash??!! No need to amortise when there's no book-keeping to worry about!!

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I assume they will also get deducted points regardless of COVID arguments as force majeure was not an argument Derby could use. I also assume that if there suddenly COVID does qualify as exemption, Derby will get some of their points back. I assume the EFL will deal with this quickly- conforming this season that COVID will not count as exemptions for FFP in the years 2020/21 so that DCFC has been fairly treated, and not let the season finish then change the rules ...hmmmmmm

We never had the chance to use force majeure did we? We went from bullish Admin to removing claim against Administration 12 and accepting a 9 without challenge? Did we just assume this was the EFL threatening 'you either accept this or we delay and delay until you go bust?'

59 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

A few different methods were used. One of which used a straight-line, where £0 would be at typical retirement age, so none-zero at the end of the contract.

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Fair enough Simon. If you’d be so good as to point me to the EFL rule which says which amortisation method must be used that would be great… Tw**.

Talk Sport is no different to Reality TV shows, They're there to entice the viewer/listener, SJ might be close to those who have money to spend, But when it comes to the ins and outs of the EFL/Administration i'll take my cue from those on here thankyou very much.

He has the mike also he has the nouce to cut the caller off if either you get a little firm with him or better still...a lot nearer to the truth, The only time i've listened to him is when it's posted up on here, Then only for a short while, I'd sooner watch Ant n Dec in the jungle and I don't watch that shyte, So SJ has neither gained or lost a listener.

Why do people listen to that show...not a clue, I guess it's because they hope they'll hear what they want to hear.