Come January where would you strengthen and who would you go for?

Woodley Ram

With our situation (and the lack of time between now and Jan), my guess is, at best, we'd only be able to get in freebies or loans. I'd be looking to strengthen these areas (in order of preference):

1. Big centre-forward - We don't score enough. 'nuff said!

If any are available for loan... Liam Delap, Ellis Simms or Cameron Archer.

2. GK - I don't have much confidence in any of our current GKs. We seem to concede due to a goalkeeping error every other week!

If any are available for loan... Caiomhin Kelleher, Arthur Okonkwo... Freddie Woodman could be available if Newcastle go and spend big on a new 'keeper.

3. 'Defence minded' RB - Byrne gets caught out too often (and isn't tall/physical enough to play the role in the Championship IMO)... don't get me wrong, he's a decent player, but I wouldn't mind seeing him further forward, either at wing back or winger depending on the formation.

If any are available for loan... Maksim Paskotsi. Or (a slightly 'left field option) Tom Hamer from Burton... he's strong, good with the ball at his feet and has one hell of a throw in on him!

9 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

With our situation (and the lack of time between now and Jan), my guess is, at best, we'd only be able to get in freebies or loans. I'd be looking to strengthen these areas (in order of preference):

1. Big centre-forward - We don't score enough. 'nuff said!

If any are available for loan... Liam Delap, Ellis Simms or Cameron Archer.

2. GK - I don't have much confidence in any of our current GKs. We seem to concede due to a goalkeeping error every other week!

If any are available for loan... Caiomhin Kelleher, Arthur Okonkwo... Freddie Woodman could be available if Newcastle go and spend big on a new 'keeper.

3. 'Defence minded' RB - Byrne gets caught out too often (and isn't tall/physical enough to play the role in the Championship IMO)... don't get me wrong, he's a decent player, but I wouldn't mind seeing him further forward, either at wing back or winger depending on the formation.

If any are available for loan... Maksim Paskotsi. Or (a slightly 'left field option) Tom Hamer from Burton... he's strong, good with the ball at his feet and has one hell of a throw in on him!

I’m still not convinced that our keepers make many more or less mistakes than those playing for other championship teams - I need to study them more to have a real opinion - so that wouldn’t be a priority for me.

40 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Its not who we may or may not sign its who will want to come to Derby given were we will be in the league

I realise as fans we might not be happy about the possibility of dropping into League 1, but come on, it's not the end of the world, especially if the EFL problems are behind us and we have new owners.

Derby will still be a massive draw for the kind of players we should be looking for. There will be young hungry players coming through at another league 1 / league 2 club looking to progress to the next level (and there will be some gems if we get the right scouting team in place), Premier League club loanees looking for a taste of first team football (and if Wayne is still here I'm sure he will be able to use his contacts) and the odd experience pro who wants to give a little back (like Curtis / Jags, who let's face it aren't at Derby for the sake of their future career). We'll also still have some of the current crop of recently promoted Academy players who will have a full season of games in them.

If we went down to League 1, we'd be a very big fish, we'll still have one of the best staduims outside of the Premier League, a fantastic training ground, Grade 1 Academy, and an amazing fan base (we'd fill most away ends as well).

So whilst I don't want us to go down as much as anybody else, let's at least consider relegation as a chance to reset and regroup, rather than as a doomsday scenario.

I was there during the old Third Division days, I remember the despair at going down, but I remember even more fondly some of the best couple of years being a Derby fan during those 2 years.

Keep the faith Ramboy63.

UTR ?

Loans for players that we might want to have for the full season next year, whether that's another loan or permanently. If there's a good option available who will definitely be of use next season then it would make sense as there's less to do in the summer. But anyone who joins permanently in January if we have the -21 deduction will know they're a League 1 player next season, so there's no surprises.

Other than that, I'd like to use the rest of the season to give the better of the young players as much game time and experience as possible. The season would be over, we may as well use the time wisely to prepare for next campaign as much as reasonably possible.

3 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

I realise as fans we might not be happy about the possibility of dropping into League 1, but come on, it's not the end of the world, especially if the EFL problems are behind us and we have new owners.

Derby will still be a massive draw for the kind of players we should be looking for. There will be young hungry players coming through at another league 1 / league 2 club looking to progress to the next level (and there will be some gems if we get the right scouting team in place), Premier League club loanees looking for a taste of first team football (and if Wayne is still here I'm sure he will be able to use his contacts) and the odd experience pro who wants to give a little back (like Curtis / Jags, who let's face it aren't at Derby for the sake of their future career). We'll also still have some of the current crop of recently promoted Academy players who will have a full season of games in them.

If we went down to League 1, we'd be a very big fish, we'll still have one of the best staduims outside of the Premier League, a fantastic training ground, Grade 1 Academy, and an amazing fan base (we'd fill most away ends as well).

So whilst I don't want us to go down as much as anybody else, let's at least consider relegation as a chance to reset and regroup, rather than as a doomsday scenario.

I was there during the old Third Division days, I remember the despair at going down, but I remember even more fondly some of the best couple of years being a Derby fan during those 2 years.

Keep the faith Ramboy63.

UTR ?

Some new away days to experience which is always a good thing too.

If we can’t stay up due to point deductions then why bother bringing in anybody unless we want them permanently and they can move here. We should only play our perceived better team selections against those who we want to annoy the most whilst not bothering in some others in terms of actually winning any points. Parachute payments and point deductions is the only thing that gets talked about in this league anyway.

No one will come to Derby to get relegated. Footballers are ambitious and even those coming to the end of their careers will want unreasonable wages and a 1 year extension option. If it’s -21 we are down. Don’t buy players because it’s pointless. Access at the end of the season because plenty of our talent will be tempted away. At that point we’ll know what we need then try and recruit under whatever business plan or embargo we are still tied to.

I would be gobsmacked if we come back straight up. Not that many do. It’ll take a season or two completely lance the boil. 

I predict that the side that comes up will be completely unrecognisable to the first team squad we see today. Our kids will get plenty of games after the Jan window because just about anyone worth anything will have gone. The trouble with that is that the kids will want away at the end of the season.

Relegation will cost us dear, but there’ll still be a Derby County and we will return…one day.

6 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

It looks like we will have a new owner by January.

I think we need to invest in a couple of big young centre backs, a big tackler for midfield, a couple of big speedy lads up front and a speed merchant. all aimed at L1

New owner, plenty of excitement, money to spend! Ooh let's see:

Big tackler in midfield - Bradley Johnson.

Speedy up front - Jack Marriott and Dave Nugent.

Speed merchant - Ikechi Anya.

What could possibly go wrong?

12 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

It looks like we will have a new owner by January.

I think we need to invest in a couple of big young centre backs, a big tackler for midfield, a couple of big speedy lads up front and a speed merchant. all aimed at L1

There will be a restriction on who or amount that can be brought in so don't go counting the chicken's too early. 

10 hours ago, Kernow said:

Loans for players that we might want to have for the full season next year, whether that's another loan or permanently. If there's a good option available who will definitely be of use next season then it would make sense as there's less to do in the summer. But anyone who joins permanently in January if we have the -21 deduction will know they're a League 1 player next season, so there's no surprises.

Other than that, I'd like to use the rest of the season to give the better of the young players as much game time and experience as possible. The season would be over, we may as well use the time wisely to prepare for next campaign as much as reasonably possible.

I agree to some extent, but we need to get as much money as possible for the players we want to sell