Come January where would you strengthen and who would you go for?

Woodley Ram

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Due to the 21 points deduction and with relegation looking more likely. Before talk of players coming in, the first thing that needs to be ascertained is which of our current players, for whatever reason, won't be here next season.  We also need players to be honest and say if they are still prepared to put a shift in for the remainder of the season. If not, then they along with those that won't be here come the end of the season, need to be moved on in January if possible. It will save on the wage bill and open up spaces in the squad for some of our youngsters and any players we can get in now, so bedding them in ready for next season.

Came here to say this.

Talk of strengthening the squad in January is wildly optimistic in my view. We need to make sure we even have something resembling a squad before that.

There will be players that wish to leave, there will be players that have to leave (due to being high earners, being worth decent transfer fees etc). There is nothing that can be done about that now and I don't blame anyone for wanting out at this point if they have a better option on the table.

Only when we know who is still going to be here this time next year can we start to piece together exactly what we need in terms of incomings. 

My expectation is that the second half of this season is going to be an absolute slog, we will lose players in Jan and we will be seeing a lot more of the U23's plugging gaps. The summer is where the real work will be done as we should be off the leash so to speak with the EFL and their horrible business plan.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Came here to say this.

Talk of strengthening the squad in January is wildly optimistic in my view. We need to make sure we even have something resembling a squad before that.

There will be players that wish to leave, there will be players that have to leave (due to being high earners, being worth decent transfer fees etc). There is nothing that can be done about that now and I don't blame anyone for wanting out at this point if they have a better option on the table.

Only when we know who is still going to be here this time next year can we start to piece together exactly what we need in terms of incomings. 

My expectation is that the second half of this season is going to be an absolute slog, we will lose players in Jan and we will be seeing a lot more of the U23's plugging gaps. The summer is where the real work will be done as we should be off the leash so to speak with the EFL and their horrible business plan.

Thought we were tied into the business plan for the next couple of years and have a three points deduction hanging over us if we don't comply.

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That might be the case, but I seem to recall (and I'm happy to be corrected) that is is a lot less restrictive after this season?

We don't know do we? Won't it be announced when we come out of Admin?

There's no point strengthening the squad for a survival challenge as there is no hope of survival this season. The manager and whoever takes over needs to have a sustainable plan to field a league 1 team for next season. They need to identify realistic targets and decide who is staying and going. Anyone who wants to go in Jan should be allowed to leave as we'll need a squad filled with spirit to drag us out of this mess. 

If there's an opportunity to look at players we might want next season by getting them on loan, then great. A couple of loans this season to strengthen would lift the dressing room. If we're going down, we don't want to just give up circa 2008, we want to go down with heads held high. We also don't want to start next season with a massive hangover. 

Loans. That's it unless we can attain some spectacular value on a permanent signing which is notoriously tricky in the January window. With so many 'moving parts' at the moment, strong permanent signings are going to be challenging, but there will be good young players happy to play under Rooney if they're struggling for game-time at their parent clubs. Given the embargo relaxation, perhaps Wazza can pull a rabbit or too from his hat? 

As for personnel, I'd be looking for a CB, a fleet-footed wide-man and a pacey striker who is mobile, tall and strong enough to be horrible to play against. Menghi, Clark and Ellis Simms perhaps? The theory is easy though, the specifics rather less so. A big challenge for Wazza but one I hope he'll welcome.

On 18/11/2021 at 15:55, 1of4 said:

Thought we were tied into the business plan for the next couple of years and have a three points deduction hanging over us if we don't comply.

There is no "Business plan", as yet.

A "Budget" for the remainder of this season... which our administrators have agreed to, on behalf of the club.

I believe any longer term "Business Plan" will only come into effect as we "Exit Administration", and presumably be something the new owner(s) will need to agree to adhere to?  

Appendix 1 – Budget
2. The Club has been required to submit, agree and adhere to a Budget in accordance with P&S Rules 2.9 and Regulation 16.20 for the remainder of Season 2021/22.

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/065e21d5596b42e7a882322d3a203509/efl-v-dcfc-agreed-decision-approved-for-publication-15-november-2021.pdf

A lot depends on the next few weeks. If we have a good run (unlikely with Bournemouth and Fulham) such that the miracle could still be on, then I think we will be holding fast on the squad with Bielik being the new signing.

If we’re all but maths gone, then I think I would keep the old heads of Jags Davis until end of season to keep us from being hammered every week but look to shift on the Jozwikak, Lawrence, Byrne, Marshall and promote from within in these positions.

If the right loan option (must be with a view to next season) was available at “Mates Rates” I would not say no but not if blocking our own with no prospect of next year.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

On 18/11/2021 at 12:44, Jubbs said:

Plymouth use MRKT Insights for their recruitment/data analytics.

One of the co-founders of MRKT, Ram, follows Derby and is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to recruitment/data, no coincidence Plymouth are where they are, especially with a great manager too.  

So why are we not using MRKT ourselves?

At least, we should be as soon as we exit administration. Would be perfect for the rebuild.

Works for Brentford and Brighton so why not us?

58 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

So why are we not using MRKT ourselves?

They were going to pitch themselves to us when they first started, but Swansea went to them first and used them. They already advise another Championship team, they can't advise a second as it'll be a conflict of interest.