Steve Gibson trying to liquidate Derby

Carl Sagan

On 07/10/2021 at 08:16, i-Ram said:

If as part of Administration the club was bought, it would be bought by a different entity,

I’d assumed the admins would try to avoid a business sale and that the objective would be to use a CVA so that the existing entity can continue. Maybe that won’t be possible 

Edited by kevinhectoring

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2021 at 10:36, Carl Sagan said:

So Gibson is both adding additional costs to Derby during this time of dire peril, and by taking the action he is intentionally making it more difficult for Derby to exit administration. That sounds to me that he is pursuing a vendetta with the purpose of liquidating Derby County.

In recent interviews Carl Jackson of Quatuma has said the action by Boro and WW will have to be resolved before the sale of Derby can go through. If this rumbles on without resolution then surely it increases the risk of the club being liquidated as no buyer will step in with a further £45m claim hanging over them.

It reminds me of when it was reported in the press three days before the play off final v Villa in May 2019 that Gibson planned to sue Derby. It felt like the timing was a deliberate attempt to destabilise our preparations for the match.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see this drag on and be the last remaining stumbling block to a sale after HMRC and other issues re debts have been resolved. I can't see with his history against Derby that Gibson is going to roll over and give up his claim without a prolonged legal battle and this is exactly what we do not want at the moment.

3 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

In recent interviews Carl Jackson of Quatuma has said the action by Boro and WW will have to be resolved before the sale of Derby can go through. If this rumbles on without resolution then surely it increases the risk of the club being liquidated as no buyer will step in with a further £45m claim hanging over them.

It reminds me of when it was reported in the press three days before the play off final v Villa in May 2019 that Gibson planned to sue Derby. It felt like the timing was a deliberate attempt to destabilise our preparations for the match.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see this drag on and be the last remaining stumbling block to a sale after HMRC and other issues re debts have been resolved. I can't see with his history against Derby that Gibson is going to roll over and give up his claim without a prolonged legal battle and this is exactly what we do not want at the moment.

I can't believe Gibson is allowed to keep doing this to a fellow member of the football league.

The administrators are unlikely to spend serious money on a legal case for this matter, it requires new owners but if the new owners are willing to pay for good lawyers to defend Derby in this business then I'd have to argue its time for the administrators to step aside.

Sell Derby now.

What justifiable reason do the administrators have for delaying the sale of the club.

I think any new owners will have taken legal advice over the club's issues and with regards to boro and Wycombe, the lawyer would advise that this is winnable and that its still worth buying the club.

Assuming that's the case, let's get on with and defeat boro and wycombes claims in a court of law.

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

I don't remember him saying that those claims would "have to be resolved" before a sale could go through? They're not official creditors, so they shouldn't affect a CVA, the EFL won't interfere (they've already said as much because such disputes HAVE to be resolved by a League Arbitration Panel under EFL rules, or withdrawn), so it really only depends how much of a liability a new owner regards them, surely? They may be happy to complete the deal with the claims still outstanding.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

The administrators are unlikely to spend serious money on a legal case for this matter, it requires new owners but if the new owners are willing to pay for good lawyers to defend Derby in this business then I'd have to argue its time for the administrators to step aside.

Sell Derby now.

What justifiable reason do the administrators have for delaying the sale of the club.

I think any new owners will have taken legal advice over the club's issues and with regards to boro and Wycombe, the lawyer would advise that this is winnable and that its still worth buying the club.

Assuming that's the case, let's get on with and defeat boro and wycombes claims in a court of law.

Is there any suggestion that the administrator is delaying the sale?

I thought they were simply going through the process, which is bound to take time, the next stage being reaching agreement with HMRC.

If the sale is being delayed because of these claims, then maybe potential buyers are insisting they are resolved first.

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

In his interviews at the weekend Jackson said both Boro and Wycombe claim will be resolved in the next couple of weeks.... 

His tone was quite dismissive. 

3 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

In his interviews at the weekend Jackson said both Boro and Wycombe claim will be resolved in the next couple of weeks.... 

His tone was quite dismissive. 

Maybe we've a counter claim lined up against them both? Must be things we can blame them for! ?

2 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I think we will be getting EFL help for once on this one as we will be reminding them of the scale of the Pandora’s box it will open.

Hopefully EFL will put pressure on them to withdraw their “claim”

Yes, imagine the EFL will be keen to help as not only would we then be suing QPR but also opening up the whole fairness of parachute payments distorting the competition whilst simultaneously restricting the ability of other clubs to compete financially. I don't believe for a second the EFL will want to defend that in court.

General point about Gibson - contrary to the title, I don't believe for a second he's trying to liquidate Derby. He's well aware his club has consistently declined since 2005 & that he's wasted their parachute payments - therefore this is little more than a desperate attempt to part fund another promotion push by strong arming the administrators into settling out of court knowing they want to compete a sale asap & as a football creditor, he'd get the lot. Its telling that the claim arrived post Morris but before a sale to a new owner. Its not personal & there's no real down side to making a claim - there is significant downside in going to court though which is why he won't do that.

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Yes, imagine the EFL will be keen to help as not only would we then be suing QPR but also opening up the whole fairness of parachute payments distorting the competition whilst simultaneously restricting the ability of other clubs to compete financially. I don't believe for a second the EFL will want to defend that in court.

General point about Gibson - contrary to the title, I don't believe for a second he's trying to liquidate Derby. He's well aware his club has consistently declined since 2005 & that he's wasted their parachute payments - therefore this is little more than a desperate attempt to part fund another promotion push by strong arming the administrators into settling out of court knowing they want to compete a sale asap & as a football creditor, he'd get the lot. Its telling that the claim arrived post Morris but before a sale to a new owner. Its not personal & there's no real down side to making a claim - there is significant downside in going to court though which is why he won't do that.

Absolutely...it's all based on "probability of being successful in a court of law" so I suspect the Admins will say likely probability of him being successful = <30% so go ahead Mr Gibson...at which point he will wither away.