Steve Gibson trying to liquidate Derby

Carl Sagan

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Have Villa been charged/found guilty of any financial misdemeanours?  We're not looking at anything libellous in that tweet above, are we?  ?‍♂️

It's a weird one, and I suspect that they managed to blur the picture signifcantly as a result of their current owners take-over in summer 2018 and their subsequent capital injections of around £134M. Gibson made some noises about them but backed off once they achieved promotion, presumably knowing that to sue them then would be like trying to pee in a hurricane.

In June 2019, their Fans Consultation Group had a meeting with the CEO, and got the following answer to their question about their FFP position :

Mr Purslow informed the meeting the EFL Finance Department has confirmed that, subject to the final audit of our accounts, Aston Villa’s 2018-19 accounts are compliant with the EFL’s Profitability and Sustainability Regulations.

So, apparently, Villa had effectively received "real time" clearance of their accounts for 2018/19, despite eventually reporting a loss of £68.9M for that season alone. For the 2016-18 period, Villa scraped inside the FFP loss limit by just £2.6M, thanks to a land sale to HS2, and after writing down the value of Villa Park by £44.8M in 2016.

Call me cynical, but I'd say that the only difference between us and them are that their takeover saved them from both liquidation and FFP breaches.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Villa haven’t been proved to have done anything wrong as yet ( if ever) QPR definitely 

Neither have we been proven to have done anything wrong. We have accepted a punishment from Efl rather than fighting it. Boro would still have to prove that we did anything wrong. And prove many other things as well.. like how were they uniquely disadvantaged .  And we have already been punished for the alleged wrongdoing so they are looking for us to be punished twice over or more.

oh and the amount they are claiming is wildly inflated anyway even if they had lost out a guaranteed place in the Prem directly as a result of our wrongdoing with no one else to blame but us, compensation would not come to £50 million anyway.

Edited by PistoldPete

Just posting this as it seems to have been missed, ignoring the vague responses in what he’s said, there’s an interesting tidbit I’d be more annoyed about at the minute and that’s th supporters group seemingly ‘burning a bridge’ before asking a Boro fan to come up with this response 

"Cheating" means intentionally breaking rules. Derby used a different, but HMRC compatible, amortisation policy to other clubs. At the time no rules were being broken and any advantage was simply smart business practice. The rules it seems have since been changed and astonishingly we have been penalised for breaking rules before they were in existence.

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

He’s bought forward the value of the claim based on betting odds. . . 

Excuse me whilst I laugh hysterically. 

Good luck with that one in court Gibbo

And what were those odds? If Boro in their form had reached the play offs they would have been, what 10-1 to win through? So the value of one year in the Premier is £450 million? Net of taxes, expenses etc? Compared to where they were,  already in receipt of parachute money.

All assuming that Boro would certainly have got into the play offs if Derby hadn't allegedly broken the rules, and that Boro have a case anyway against atema that has alreday been punished for their alleged breaches. .

I think maths is not Gibson's strongpoint. Or morals either.

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Just posting this as it seems to have been missed, ignoring the vague responses in what he’s said, there’s an interesting tidbit I’d be more annoyed about at the minute and that’s th supporters group seemingly ‘burning a bridge’ before asking a Boro fan to come up with this response 

I think you’ll find Boro made it pretty personal when they tried to sue Derby (not Mel), causing needless distraction and expense, putting us closer to liquidation, and setting a precedent that would have huge ramifications for historical court cases for teams feeling aggrieved (us vs qpr being one of them). A precedent that has already been jumped on by Wycombe. 

If you come at me in my house, where I live, to destroy the club I love, then you’ve damn sure made it personal, and I’m quite happy to call Gibson a big *******, or might that hurt his feelings and be too personal for his sensitive nature.

It’s absolute nonsense, you can’t base a court judgement on bookies odds. If you could base any sort of judgement on bookies odds, then it would mean bookies had a crystal ball and could predict everything, all the time. In fact, there chances of being promoted would have been very slim, with Leeds and Villa to get past. We had the advantage of apparently ‘cheating’ were better than boro over the course of the season, only just scraped by Leeds, and we’re no match for Villa. Boro wouldn’t have stood a chance, but who can say? There’s a universe in the multiverse where they made it, there’s one where they didn’t, and there’s another one where we were all eaten by an interstellar elephant. In this universe, they didn’t make it, nor did we, move on. 

when we play them, we should reprise Stop crying your heart out. We’re sat at the bottom of the league with a 21pt deduction, and they’re the ones that are butt hurt!?

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

And what were those odds? If Boro in their form had reached the play offs they would have been, what 10-1 to win through? So the value of one year in the Premier is £450 million? Net of taxes, expenses etc? Compared to where they were,  already in receipt of parachute money.

All assuming that Boro would certainly have got into the play offs if Derby hadn't allegedly broken the rules, and that Boro have a case anyway against atema that has alreday been punished for their alleged breaches. .

I think maths is not Gibson's strongpoint. Or morals either.

Pisses me off that idiots like this get to be millionaires. How the duck do they do it?!

On 30/12/2021 at 10:16, Abu Derby said:

No case to answer, simple as that. 

Exactly. All the teams play in a league organised and managed by the EFL under its rules and regulations. All teams are signatories to those rules and systems. 

The penalties awarded against Derby were applied by the EFL, again, according to those rules.

I really don’t understand how either claim can even be entertained by anyone. The only possible case could be against the EFL for not applying the rules correctly. That has nothing to do with DCFC

I know Middlesbrough is the armpit of the UK and everyone else knows that too, but surely it cannot be that much of a surprise that a club with player book values of almost zero, no stadium and £50m of debt, headed for League 1 and the associated £Xm drop in revenue, is valued less than a club currently in the play offs to compete for an annual 9 figure windfall?

If it is the case that the administrators are negotiating with these idiots then it frankly beggars belief. I understand it’s an unwelcome area of uncertainty for any prospective purchasers, but all interested parties should really see this for what it is; complete cynical opportunism from a pair of grasping scumbags. 
Tell them to sod off and that we’ll see them in court (or whichever forum it would be heard in)!