Steve Gibson trying to liquidate Derby

Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

You cannot liquidate a company that is in administration.

And it's almost impossible to sue one and win.

So maybe he's trying, but he won't do it.

Let's panic about everything else.

Adding to the club's future liabilities by threatening legal action COULD however drive away interested parties. That eventually could lead the administrators to conclude there's no prospect of saving the club. Liquidation then would be the only option if funding ran out. 

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I honestly wouldn't. The clubs been hammered and will be further.  His whinge has been addressed twice and was deemed unchargeable. All he's doing now is trying to but a club that's been around 137 years out of business by driving up legal costs.  What a thoroughly horrific piece of pond life.  

Is his club squeaky clean ?  Didnt he sell their debt to one if his own businesses or something like ?   .........People who live in glass houses and all that ?

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Adding to the club's future liabilities by threatening legal action COULD however drive away interested parties. That eventually could lead the administrators to conclude there's no prospect of saving the club. Liquidation then would be the only option if funding ran out. 

Do hope that we get an American sports billionaire, cos the kinda lawyers they have on speed dial would make mince meat of anything that Brillo-haired nobber has to offer. 

• 2 weeks later...

This snippet from last night's meeting really pisses me off: 

"They are also fighting legal charges – for the Middlesbrough charge, lawyers has already been engaged  on both sides."

If this doesn't demonstrate Steve Gibson's malicious nature, nothing does.

What an absolute waste of administrators' time and the club's money. Talk about kick a man when he's down! 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

This snippet from last night's meeting really pisses me off: 

"They are also fighting legal charges – for the Middlesbrough charge, lawyers has already been engaged  on both sides."

If this doesn't demonstrate Steve Gibson's malicious nature, nothing does.

What an absolute waste of administrators' time and the club's money. Talk about kick a man when he's down! 

Spotted that - does anyone know precisely what Boro are trying to take us to court over? - and whether such action is actually allowed within the EFL riules?

From previous reports, I believe it's on the basis that if we hadn't "overspent" we wouldn't have pipped them to the signing of Waghorn and would have finished below them in the table. 

Yet, as their Wikipedia page states  "a poor finish to the season caused them to finish 7th and miss out on the playoffs by one point." 

They picked up 16 points from their last 12 games but will no doubt be arguing that they would have breezed through the playoffs on that form, so we owe them oodles of cash. Given that a panel of football experts and successful gamblers would struggle to guess 50% of championship results correctly, I'm not sure how strong their case is, particularly when they still had the substantial advantage over us of Parachute Payments. 

But it'll waste more of our time and money, so job done I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

From previous reports, I believe it's on the basis that if we hadn't "overspent" we wouldn't have pipped them to the signing of Waghorn and would have finished below them in the table. 

Yet, as their Wikipedia page states  "a poor finish to the season caused them to finish 7th and miss out on the playoffs by one point." 

They picked up 16 points from their last 12 games but will no doubt be arguing that they would have breezed through the playoffs on that form, so we owe them oodles of cash. Given that a panel of football experts and successful gamblers would struggle to guess 50% of championship results correctly, I'm not sure how strong their case is, particularly when they still had the substantial advantage over us of Parachute Payments. 

I know their thinking (and morally you could argue their case), but there's absolutely nothing illegal in what we did (as far as a court of law goes) so I'm wondering what they are actually suggesting we've done that makes them think they have a legal case against us.....

Football is full of injustices (and blatant cheating) - if Boro can sue us (and win) it opens the floodgates for clubs to sue someone else for every percieved slight against them......

On 25/09/2021 at 11:13, i-Ram said:

But the thread is on the premise he might sue us. That ain’t going to happen.

If the hate is because he stuck up for his club when he felt some cheating was going on. Good for him. Former fan’s favourite Mel Morris would have done the same.

Middlesborough FC, not Gibson, is a member of the EFL and entitled to make complaints to the EFL and for them to be properly investigated.

Don't get me wrong. I do think he is a Bamford.

Clear off. you and your fancy pants cold logic.

angry go cartoons GIF by Cartoon Hangover

11 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Spotted that - does anyone know precisely what Boro are trying to take us to court over? - and whether such action is actually allowed within the EFL riules?

It'll be down to us failing P&S in the 17/18 season, which should have meant a points deduction in 18/19 and them finishing 1 place higher (in the playoffs) with a chance of promotion. Boro seeking compensation for missing out on the chance of winning the playoff lottery against significantly better sides.

As you may recall, last season Middlesbrough tried a similar tactic (which simply delayed proceedings). 
A couple of key snippets from that judgement:
image.png.5cca4f42595accf9688b22c6b7f32990.png

image.png.8edc9835c8163877befa51faaae42bd4.png

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

We should be retrospectively taking both QPR and Aston Villa to court, how much money have they cost us by breaking the FFP rules the year we could have got promoted.

One could say that Mel saw QPR break the rules and pretty much get away with it and thought to hell with it, if they can do it we will.

We should try legal action against Ipswich for one of there players breaking Thornes leg, seeing as that probably cost us promotion.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It'll be down to us failing P&S in the 17/18 season, which should have meant a points deduction in 18/19 and them finishing 1 place higher (in the playoffs) with a chance of promotion. Boro seeking compensation for missing out on the chance of winning the playoff lottery against significantly better sides.

As you may recall, last season Middlesbrough tried a similar tactic (which simply delayed proceedings). 

Then surely their case should be against the EFL for failing to enfoirce their rules in a timely manner....though as they contributed to the delay, they're on a pretty sticky wicket....

Being as Gibson has been to the EFL twice with 4 different attempts to due us and been told that he cannot because of EFL rules isn't it time that the EFL stepped in an charged him with bringing the game into disrepute. Or do Middlesbrough work under different rules where their players are allowed to elbow others in at least 2 matches, Gibson can make threats and the manager use foul and abusive language at the officials in nearly every match. I fear the latter is true.

Essentially though every team we played that season could thus claim they were significantly damaged. Every place up the table can be argued to have value and so....

The DCFC side will claim a) no charge was in place during that season, b) dispute is resolved through EFL process and c) the EFL process did not find intention/ bad faith and that DCFC did believe their accounts were compliant.

He really is bitter.

To be fair to Boro they really wanted Waghorn, which was why when he was available on a free over summer they rushed in to get him. They rated him that highly!

If they were successful on this then the can of worms would be well and truly opened and we could sue QPR, Villa and Bournemouth and the like. I think it is petty and ridiculous. Is Gibson suing Assombolonga for not scoring enough goals?

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In the civil courts and I guess this is where this is going it would be based on the balance of probabilities so they need to prove that it is more likley than not to have affected the run in.

This is not that easy to prove as you would need to factor in things such as other clubs overspending (Aston Villa, Leeds etc) during that period and the possible effect that might have the Derby overspend might have on the number of points obtained.  Also as said that bring in the playoffs is no guarantee of promotion. 

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought there was a section in the regulations about EFL clubs not taking legal action against each other? Didn't it get talked about when the Wycombe bloke was kicking off?

In the case above I guess we have to thank Boro for delaying things otherwise a points deduction might have relegated us last season?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought there was a section in the regulations about EFL clubs not taking legal action against each other? Didn't it get talked about when the Wycombe bloke was kicking off?

In the case above I guess we have to thank Boro for delaying things otherwise a points deduction might have relegated us last season?

If there were anyt decent journalists left in this country, they might want to look into the links between Boro and the EFL - seems they have far more influence and leeway than other clubs.....something smells iffy...

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

People commonly say that, but I don't think it's actually true. The judgement I linked seems to suggest it is possible under the right circumstances? To be honest, I've never been bothered enough by it to read through the regs.