Sheff Utd vs Derby County Matchday Thread (league cup)

RadioactiveWaste

I watched the game and thought they did well on the whole.  

A tough night for one or two of them but that's the learning experience. Individual errors up top and defensively cost us against a team that was no better across 90 minutes.

Sibley was the best player on the pitch. 

It's a shame as I'd like to see this young team play again in competitive football. Maybe we will in three-five years' time!

Just now, VulcanRam said:

I watched the game and thought they did well on the whole.  

A tough night for one or two of them but that's the learning experience. Individual errors up top and defensively cost us against a team that was no better across 90 minutes.

Sibley was the best player on the pitch. 

It's a shame as I'd like to see this young team play again in competitive football. Maybe we will in three-five years' time!

?

Was there tonight at the match in the main stand and got a really good view of the game overall. Good performance, but disappointing result. Well deserved 1:0 lead at half-time and it could have easily been 2:0. Derby in control with Hutchinson bossing it in midfield. Had a really good half and looks like a bright prospect for the future. Unlike what was to follow in the second half, we also looked solid defensively. Sibley looked sharp and took his goal really well.

Second-half, conceded a cheap equalizer early doors through poor marking. After that, we reacted well and looked the most likely team to score with Stretton unlucky not to add to his goal tally. Then there was THAT winning goal for the Blades. A complete and utter gift. How come we always gift opponents these type of goals but never get gifts from them? 

Big up to the travelling Rams fans who were fantastic.

Onward and upwards.

Rooneys interview was interesting.

Said they had to cancel the U23 game cos he can't afford the players to get injured...

Did we tell porkies about the covid outbreak?

He then mentioned that he doesn't know how the U23 players are going to get games now as he can't afford them to play in the U23s because he can't afford them getting injured. Players like McDonald, Brown, Watson etc. Who are classed as professional. 

Also said Borkovic didn't deserve to be in the squad. But he's had to bypass the U23s and find someone eligible to play.

What a sorry state of affairs.

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Said they had to cancel the U23 game cos he can't afford the players to get injured...

He then mentioned that he doesn't know how the U23 players are going to get games now as he can't afford them to play in the U23s because he can't afford them getting injured. Players like McDonald, Brown, Watson etc. Who are classed as professional. 

Also said Borkovic didn't deserve to be in the squad. But he's had to bypass the U23s and find someone eligible to play.

Rooney is having an interesting apprenticeship isn't he?

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Rooney is having an interesting apprenticeship isn't he?

It'd be an interesting turn if "England's greatest ever goalscorer" ended up having a managerial career as being an expert at saving clubs who are in a right mess - but we are a mess as a club, and so far this season, he's doing best to save us.

Not seen the whole game due to being on late shift so only the highlights and comments on here to go on but seems a reasonable performance, great support (apart from the slappable racist in front of @DarkFruitsRam7 ).

Individual errors/lack of concentration/inexperience seems to be the only thing affecting us at the moment. Our overall game plan and tactics are not far off. It will come, its a talented bunch of youngsters we have, some have grown due to last seasons traumas and some are growing in confidence week by week.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It'd be an interesting turn if "England's greatest ever goalscorer" ended up having a managerial career as being an expert at saving clubs who are in a right mess - but we are a mess as a club, and so far this season, he's doing best to save us.

If he sees this through and comes out the other side with the Rams doing well he will have displayed his credentials for all to see.

Possibly not for the first time fnarrfnarr?

First game in 18 months and so my thoughts may be a bit over analytical from finally getting a right eyeful.

-So I was sat out the other end to our fans with some mates tonight. The biggest positive really was our fans tonight who were superb. They filled the stadium with atmosphere tonight and it’s exactly what the squad needs. I will maybe be slightly critical on one thing later, but I honestly thought they were fantastic 

-Seen people saying the first goal was Allsops ‘mistake’ and I’m not quite sure I’d go that far. The cross itself was the only bit of quality Sheff U mustered up all game and the striker got a decent header on it. Sure, it could’ve been better defended collectively as a team and maybe he could have been better positioned but I’m not gonna individually blame the keeper for that. It was a collective bad moment to me.

-My one slight criticism of our support was toward Bogle, not necessarily the booing because it put him off his game. If anything it was a genius crowd move, but I was sat at the other end hearing the ‘you’re a **** Ebosele’ chants and I thought ‘oooo that’s a bit on the nose’. Then a minute later he puts in a pearler of a cross and they are 1-1. I’m not going ott and saying it gave him a point to prove, but it felt like it gave him enough to overcome something in that moment. Again the away fans were superb, but it’s just one tiny aspect I thought at the time 

-Sibley was the best player on the pitch when he had no right to be all things considered.

-All our good play went through Jozwiak, those critical of him won’t care mention but the game changed once he went off.

-They brought on Fleck and Sharp and we brought on kids. They still created nothing aside from our error which I think says a lot.

-Slight little football crush on Stearman, he just loves football and defending.

-Forsyth deserves a bit of a mention, thought he was untroubled tonight. I’d say motm if it wasn’t for sibley

-United fans are a bit weird, both during the game and in the pub after, they are absolutely obsessed with Sharp and Wilder and can’t let go. Genuinely there was more crowd reaction for that scally kid evading stewards than anything on the pitch. Despite the win I’d be worried of the manner of that result tonight, they created so little against a second string side tipped for relegation.  A lot of the fans, and even some of the players didn’t really care until Billy Sharp was introduced

-The ref…he wasn’t great. Not necessarily in a way that he was getting decisions wrong all the time but I did think the ‘key’ decisions he tended to give them. Main example was the free kick for Sheff U when I think McDonald went for a shot and the defender got his foot their first. Just….no! Also Allsop got properly clattered with intent from one of their players and it was late. Was a booking all day if he caught on but didn’t do anything. Just those tiny little decisions that give a side some undeserved momentum in my book.

-Last one! All out young players look excellent one minute but al have that mistake in them. They aren’t developed to the standard we need just yet, they are fine and can do a job but we can only throw them in for so long before it has the opposite effect.

There are times when you travel back from an away defeat full of gloom and despondency.  Not tonight.

I don't know whether our young players on show in Sheffield will turn into top class PL players, into top class Championship players or whether they will make a career in the lower leagues but tonight's performance brimmed with endeavour, movement, skill, hard work and commitment to the shirt.  They were more than deservedly ahead at half time and probably should have made more of a couple of good breakaways. It was one of the most encouraging halves of football that I have seen us have in several years.  Unsurprisingly they tired in the second, gave away two soft goals, could and probably should have scored at least one more, but kept their shape and the pattern of play right to the end. 

If I were the manager I would be pleased and disappointed in equal measure - pleased at the display and the experience gained, pleased that most of the first team players didn't have to feature, pleased that the style of football he is developing is starting to bear fruit; disappointed that we're not still in the cup, disappointed that we gave away a possible winning position. I would also be worried that Jack Stretton looked to have a knock.

Well done to those Rams fans there - loud, vocal and supportive support.  Well done too to Fozzy for his all round captain's performance, to Hutchinson for his first half in particular and for Louie Sibley for his goal, restraint despite some vicious fouls against him (has he got the message?) and all round MOTM performance

40 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If its the interview on the club website you're referring to, I don't think that's quite what he said. I took it to mean he couldn't risk putting them with the U23s because they'd have been quarantined, so because he's had to bring them into the first team bubble, they can't go back to play games. At least, that's how I heard it.