Sheff Utd vs Derby County Matchday Thread (league cup)

RadioactiveWaste

I said this earlier in the thread, if Allsopp had come out like a runaway train he’d have got to the ball first. But then, he’s learning as well. ?‍♂️

Yeah we’re out the cup but losing three points in this manner would have been a lot worse for me.

Edited by Pearl Ram

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't get your viewpoint. Passing to the keeper is the modern way. The reason Roos got in before Carson. Possession football. The reason playing out from the back is possible.

You didn't listen to Rooney's post match interview where he basically said mistakes happen and that he'd told McDonald to play like that?

If he'd not under hit the pass we'd not be having this discussion. #simples

As @Ellafellasaid earlier, if between Stearman, Allsop and, to a lesser extent, Mcdonald had read the situation then there was no need to pass back at all, eliminating the risk.

As I said, IMO I don't like outfield players passing the ball to GK's instinctively because there are risks, as there is with every pass anywhere on the pitch, that when something does go wrong it leads to danger due to the fact it is the last line of defence. Simple risk mitigation.

I also said I blame the modern coaching for this and not McDonald. 

No matter what level of football I played at in my younger days, I would never ever consider any GK as being better with the ball at his feet than myself, so why would I want to pass it to him? 

Edited by Rich84
Accredited Ellafella for comment

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Maybe, but in that position allot of defenders in other teams would have played the same ball. It was purely poor execution. 

That's why earlier I said it is a major bug bear of mine, just because the top top teams with the very best players in the world can execute it to stretch the game and keep possession,  it doesn't mean Championship (or even Prem IMO) should attempt it.

Nothing good ever comes from passing back to the GK....

To which point someone will no doubt post a link to a keeper with an assist due to a 40 yard pass..... but that is so rare it is spoken about and splashed all over the media. Every pass inherently has risk to it, bobbly pitch, under-hit, over-hit, mis-directed or miscontrol, so why do it with a player that typically is the poorest on the pitch with the ball at their feet in the most dangerous area of the pitch that anything other than perfection can be dangerous, a goal at worst or turning over possession at best is a typical result? 

I'm not saying don't ever pass to the keeper, just not when there is any form if danger like an opposition player within 20yrds. 

Final thought, do you ever encourage our players to press the opposition deep in their half? If so, why? Is it because we may gain an advantage in the best area of the pitch?

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

15 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

No matter what level of football I played at in my younger days, I would never ever consider any GK as being better with the ball at his feet than myself, so why would I want to pass it to him? 

To clear it! He doesn't have to do tekkers with it! If McDonald had hit the pass harder then there wouldn't be anything to talk about. A simple mistake made by a young player, it happens. Involving the keeper in the play at the back will continue, it's the modern game.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

To clear it! He doesn't have to do tekkers with it! If McDonald had hit the pass harder then there wouldn't be anything to talk about. A simple mistake made by a young player, it happens. Involving the keeper in the play at the back will continue, it's the modern game.

…for “modern game” read “current fashion”. It may change very soon. I was coached as a player in the “% game” meaning risk management which means the ball goes into row z. 

16 hours ago, MickD said:

I remember Leeds playing at Anfield, Sprake threw one in his own net.  Halftime music was Ken Dodd's Careless Hands.

Applies here too.  Why is Marshall 3rd choice?

Because it was exactly the sort of goal Marshall was letting in last season, and he's ancient with no room for improvement?

Edited by Coconut's Beard

19 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

…for “modern game” read “current fashion”. It may change very soon. I was coached as a player in the “% game” meaning risk management which means the ball goes into row z. 

It may indeed change. But for now that's the way it's played. It's all this possession nonsense! ?

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Maybe, but in that position allot of defenders in other teams would have played the same ball. It was purely poor execution. 

Kick it out for a throw in or a corner if a bit iffy. Roos spends too long clearing the ball. I hope Allsop does not try the same idea.

6 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Because it was exactly the sort of goal Marshall was letting in last season, and he's ancient with no room for improvement?

He is not old for a goalkeeper.  Says a lot for our centrebacks.

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't get your viewpoint. Passing to the keeper is the modern way. The reason Roos got in before Carson. Possession football. The reason playing out from the back is possible.

You didn't listen to Rooney's post match interview where he basically said mistakes happen and that he'd told McDonald to play like that?

If he'd not under hit the pass we'd not be having this discussion. #simples

I think Allsop could have come out faster and closed Sharpe down.  He made no attempt to save,  add to that his part in the first goal I don't know why Rooney says "We have 3 top class keepers"