Sheff Utd vs Derby County Matchday Thread (league cup)

RadioactiveWaste

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It looked like one of our central defenders pointed directing to McDonald to play the ball back (straight into Sharp's path) when there was no one around the full back and he could easily have turned with it and brought the ball forward. All symptomatic of this disease of playing backwards as a first thought. So it wasn't all the youngster's fault, but of course it was mainly on him as he was facing our goal so should have seen Sharp lurking there.

This is what I meant about the winning goal. I don't get why you would tell a young player to pass back to the keeper in those circumstances when you should be telling him to turn away from goal and take the ball forward.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is what I meant about the winning goal. I don't get why you would tell a young player to pass back to the keeper in those circumstances when you should be telling him to turn away from goal and take the ball forward.

Just unfortunate.

Stearman didn’t expect him to play it short. 

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

He shouldn’t be trying to turn when he’s got a man breathing down his neck. He made the right decision to play it back IMO, he just messed up the execution. 99 times out of 100 that play passes without incident.

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Correct @Carl Sagan. As a coach I’d be saying you turn away and clear. It’s basic law in football. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He shouldn’t be trying to turn when he’s got a man breathing down his neck. He made the right decision to play it back IMO, he just messed up the execution. 99 times out of 100 that play passes without incident.

There's no opponent behind him.

Young lad, needs a shout from the keeper to turn with it.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

There's no opponent behind him.

Young lad, needs a shout from the keeper to turn with it.

He's got to be absolutely 100% sure there isn't though, and if he isn't (and he doesn't get a shout etc), he should just be doing exactly what he tried to do.

Honestly, in this type of situation the ball back to the keeper (and then moving into space to receive the pass back) is probably no worse than turning yourself.  I certainly don't think it's really that much slower, and it's normally a lot safer.  The problem with playing passes backwards is where we've already broken the lines, then we play backwards and lose all that progress. This wasn't one of those cases.

Just finished watching the full match replay on RamsTV.

The youngsters really put in a shift and were very unlucky to not come away with a win. They controlled large periods of the game and although chances were at a premium for both sides I never felt that SU could open us up at any point. 

FWIW my ratings :-

Allsop - 5.5 He didn’t have a lot to do and his distribution was good. Unfortunately as a GK he will be judged on mistakes and the first goal was a game changer really…

McDonald - 6.0 Did well given his return from a long injury lay off. I felt Stearman could’ve helped more for what was ultimately a game costing mistake but particularly early on he got forward well.

Stearman - 6.5 Was solid as a rock really. Could’ve blocked off Sharps run to allow McDonalds back pass more space but other than that he was decent. 

Forsyth - 6.5 Led the side well and as with Stearman he was solid and consistent and gave nothing away.

Williams - 6.5 A good solid game defensively. Didn’t look to get forward as often as Salford but gave a good account and never looked flustered.

Brown - 6.5 Solid and unflustered. Kept his shape defensively made his tackles and kept the ball moving economically 

Watson - 6.0 Didn’t have the impact with his passing as the Salford game and struggled a little to affect things the same way but was consistent and energetic and got through a lot of work. 

Hutchinson - 7.0 Looked like he’d grown in confidence from Salford and picked up where he left off. Didn’t have the goal impact but had a spell either side of half time where he controlled possession and tempo of the game for us.

Sibley - 7.5(mom) Sibleys impact in games are his game changing moments not his overall involvement. He only had 9 complete passes all game (from 14 total!) but his willingness to shoot is always going to affect scorelines. 

Joswiak - 6.0 A little careless in possession in the middle of the pitch left us exposed a couple of times but get the feeling he and the management had an eye on Saturday and just wanted him to get through an hour unscathed. 

Stretton - 6.0 Worked his socks off and his movement to run off shoulders in behind is excellent. Maybe should’ve done better with one or two chances particularly the one on one but he was a threat. Worryingly looked to be in some discomfort as he came off?

The more I watch it the worse it gets, hopefully he'll learn from it, but I am always of the opinion that passing back to a keeper, especially shortish distances when an opposition player is close by is a risk, underhit it and you get last night's result, overhit it and at best could be a corner or the GK mis-controls it.

Stearman clearly instructs him and his inexperience means he'll do as he's told, poor by Stearman IMO as he should have seen there was plenty of room for KM to turn with the path of the ball, on his right foot and into space to either run forwards, pass, hoof it long or just launch it into the stands, all preferable to the risky ball back....

But to compound it, when he gets the shout to play it back, Allsop starts to retreat to his goal line which probably contributes to and exaggerates the amount the pass is underhit, he must have seen what was happening and I would have thought he'd have at worst maintained his position, if not advance, to be able to put his foot through the ball.

All in all though, I hate outfield players unnecessarily passing to GK's, major bug bear of mine, so modern coaching instructing this has a lot to answer for also IMO.

Nothing good ever comes from passing back to the GK.....

On 24/08/2021 at 21:42, Needlesh said:

Not disgraced, and a great learning experience for the young lads. Youngest team ever?!

Onward we go. Quite a proud Rams fan tonight, despite the loss.

22.9 according to transfermarkt. Reading fielded a team with an average of 20.3

Forsyth, Stearman and Allsop skew things a bit

10 hours ago, Rich84 said:

The more I watch it the worse it gets, hopefully he'll learn from it, but I am always of the opinion that passing back to a keeper, especially shortish distances when an opposition player is close by is a risk, underhit it and you get last night's result, overhit it and at best could be a corner or the GK mis-controls it.

Stearman clearly instructs him and his inexperience means he'll do as he's told, poor by Stearman IMO as he should have seen there was plenty of room for KM to turn with the path of the ball, on his right foot and into space to either run forwards, pass, hoof it long or just launch it into the stands, all preferable to the risky ball back....

Nothing good ever comes from passing back to the GK.....

I don't get your viewpoint. Passing to the keeper is the modern way. The reason Roos got in before Carson. Possession football. The reason playing out from the back is possible.

You didn't listen to Rooney's post match interview where he basically said mistakes happen and that he'd told McDonald to play like that?

If he'd not under hit the pass we'd not be having this discussion. #simples