Sheff Utd vs Derby County Matchday Thread (league cup)

RadioactiveWaste

League Cup 2nd Round

24/08/2021

Sheffield Utd vs Derby County

Bramall Lane

KO: 19.45

After a hard game against Colin at his most irritating, next up is an interesting trip to Sheff utd. After relegation they've not really looked the force they were when they were on the up. Given it's the league cup, exect both sides to make quite a few changes - which from a Derby point of view is relevant because these are the players who are going to be in the league matches if anyone goes down injured.

There's no reason to expect a win or fear defeat - it's a cup game and they exist to just throw things around in a mixture and see what game you get on the day.

Do we expect Ebosele and McDonald to be available? If they are I'd go:

Allsop

McDonald   Brown   Stearman    Williams

Watson    Shinnie

Ebosele         Ravel        Hutchinson

Stretton

Roos / Byrne / Forsyth / Buchanan / Bird / Baldock / Jozwiak

Rooney said it will be a similar side to the Salford game. I hope we can still win it though, it would be great to go on a cup run. Sheffield United are nothing to shout about, we should really go for it and get our name in the draw for the next round.

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

What a day that was in '86, Rob Hindmarsh winner in front of 10k Derby fans in a 20k gate. Definitely in my top three away games.

Two great away days there in consecutive years. I can see Phil Gee going clear through on goal even now and when it went through Burridge’s legs - wonderful. 

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I think Derby will win and against them they will take us lightly and that will there down fall.

I’m not so sure. They’ve been in really poor form so far this season, and so will want to get a win here. They will see us as a team in some form and play quite a strong team.

We have got a chance, but with Rooney likely to rotate the team and rest a few of the first team players/older heads, we could be in for another high scoring game (I hope, I quite enjoyed the Salford match)

8 hours ago, sage said:

Allsop

McDonald Stearman  Forsyth   Williams

Brown   Shinnie

Ebosele         Watson        Hutchinson

Stretton 

I think Forsyth and Shinnie are currently too important to play three games a week