Louie Sibley

I think the treatment of Sibley has been poor.

I remember when he started the 4-0 win at Birmingham City just before New Year’s Eve late 2020. He was brilliant as he won the penalty, and tore their defence to shreds. I think he had about five efforts in the first 25 minutes of the game.

He started the subsequent game at Sheffield Wednesday where we were much the better side also but ended up losing 1-0 to a scrappy goal. It was a really unlucky defeat.

Sibley was then dropped. And in came the likes of Patrick Roberts and Lee Gregory. Sibley didn’t start another game until that 4-0 defeat at Cardiff where Rooney threw the towel in before kick off by playing a weakened side. That was in March so Sibley spent 8 weeks or so just warming the bench with the odd late sub appearance.

Sibley then came off the bench in the 2-2 draw at Brentford (coming back from 0-2 down at half-time). He then started the 1-0 defeat at Stoke and the 2-0 win against Luton. Another defeat at Reading and he was dropped, while returning for the Blackburn game where it was 1-1 while he was on and we lost 2-1 after he came off.

Dropped again.

Long story short, it seems Sibley became an obvious player to drop after every defeat, especially away from home. We’d lose on the road and he’d then miss the next five games or so. He clearly needed a strong run in the side, but under Rooney you’d struggle to find a spell where he started more than two consecutive games. 

48 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He’s hardly played so not going to be match fit is he….

There's not match sharp and there's looking unfit though, it's different. To me he's looked laboured and unfit, so perhaps not working hard enough in training? Could explain Rooney's lack of faith and trust.

Like I said, he's got talent and I hope he gets a chance and makes the most of it.

Needs a good run of games in his preferred position not cameos and occasional starts when we’re either chasing the game or he’s playing down one of the flanks in my opinion. Get him down the middle.

I’m speaking from experience. He’s currently 88 rated in my fifa 20 career and we win the premier league in 2025 with Sibley scoring 30 and assisting 20 odd. We then sign an ageing Salah, Messi, Van Dijk, Saka and Luke Shaw for a first attempt at the champions league after winning the europa league the season before. It’s on lads, you heard it here first ? 

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I remember when he started the 4-0 win at Birmingham City just before New Year’s Eve late 2020. He was brilliant as he won the penalty, and tore their defence to shreds. I think he had about five efforts in the first 25 minutes of the game.

He started the subsequent game at Sheffield Wednesday where we were much the better side also but ended up losing 1-0 to a scrappy goal. It was a really unlucky defeat.

Sibley was then dropped. And in came the likes of Patrick Roberts and Lee Gregory. Sibley didn’t start another game until that 4-0 defeat at Cardiff where Rooney threw the towel in before kick off by playing a weakened side. That was in March so Sibley spent 8 weeks or so just warming the bench with the odd late sub appearance.

Sibley then came off the bench in the 2-2 draw at Brentford (coming back from 0-2 down at half-time). He then started the 1-0 defeat at Stoke and the 2-0 win against Luton. Another defeat at Reading and he was dropped, while returning for the Blackburn game where it was 1-1 while he was on and we lost 2-1 after he came off.

Dropped again.

Long story short, it seems Sibley became an obvious player to drop after every defeat, especially away from home. We’d lose on the road and he’d then miss the next five games or so. He clearly needed a strong run in the side, but under Rooney you’d struggle to find a spell where he started more than two consecutive games. 

Almost felt like a lot of the time he would be picked or brought on in games where it was likely he would struggle so as to make a point. Lots of players were given a lot more slack than he was, not least Lawrence who was given the captaincy. 

He’s not the finished article but he will never be unless he is given games. Used to drive me mad when he’d play U23 games last year  because he isn’t going to learn anything there

32 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

Needs a good run of games in his preferred position not cameos and occasional starts when we’re either chasing the game or he’s playing down one of the flanks in my opinion. Get him down the middle.

I’m speaking from experience. He’s currently 88 rated in my fifa 20 career and we win the premier league in 2025 with Sibley scoring 30 and assisting 20 odd. We then sign an ageing Salah, Messi, Van Dijk, Saka and Luke Shaw for a first attempt at the champions league after winning the europa league the season before. It’s on lads, you heard it here first ? 

It takes you 5 seasons to have a crack at the Champion's League? Also don't get ageing players unless on a free and you plan to sell them immediately. 

1 minute ago, Jackal said:

It takes you 5 seasons to have a crack at the Champion's League? Also don't get ageing players unless on a free and you plan to sell them immediately. 

Yes, I purposely got us relegated to League 1 for the realism value just to keep in tandem with current events ?

And Messi cost about £30million but he’s got 12 goals in 4 games so far and still £100m in the transfer kitty ?. S’all good 

3 hours ago, nottingram said:

By “often been … red carded” do you in fact mean that he has 0 (unrescinded) red cards in his career? 

Often been booked is my first comment and he has been sent off in U23s games . 

Edited by Magicman

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Dropped again.

Thats the thing I've always thought under Rooney. He just seemed to get far far shorter rope than pretty much any other player in the squad. I can remember extended stretches of other players having bad form and being played through it. But if Sibley was even slightly off for a half he'd be banished.

I just don't think Rooney truly ever had confidence in him like he did with the rest of the squad. He's got flaws in his game for sure but it's not hard to fault a lot of players for this or that. 

I think part of the trust issue was the other players, particularly some of the older ones, didn't trust him to keep the ball. Watching games when we were playing out from the back players like Phil Jagielka seemed very reluctant to pass to Louie when he had his back to goal.

In the attacking half facing the goal he's very good, just needs to be stronger back to goal.

I think not not getting the ball when he felt he should and losing it when he shouldn't was often the source of his frustration which got him booked.

Played in the right system, where he gets the ball to feet facing the goal, he'll do very well. 

I’m hoping that with the attacking players we have Liam will set us up to have a go at teams and Sibley will flourish rather than the sometimes unnecessarily cautious approach that Wazza favoured where Sibley seemed screwed over quite frankly 

Edited by norwichram
Changed mind

6 minutes ago, Gladram said:

I think part of the trust issue was the other players, particularly some of the older ones, didn't trust him to keep the ball. Watching games when we were playing out from the back players like Phil Jagielka seemed very reluctant to pass to Louie when he had his back to goal.

In the attacking half facing the goal he's very good, just needs to be stronger back to goal.

I think not not getting the ball when he felt he should and losing it when he shouldn't was often the source of his frustration which got him booked.

Played in the right system, where he gets the ball to feet facing the goal, he'll do very well. 

Just now, norwichram said:

That’s a fair point 

10 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

He’d only leave if there’s a massive bid come in for him and we’re talking 8m+ in total

If any club bids more than £8million I suggest we invite them in and lock the door behind them!

So far Sibley has shown great technique but he is too slow of thought to be a top payer. He's the current version of Craig Ramage.

Coventry City have Derby County midfield duo Max Bird and Louie Sibley on their radar but are not actively pursuing the pair at this stage of the transfer window.

CoventryLive understands that while both players are very much known to City’s recruitment department, they come into the contingency plan category in case the Sky Blues lose key players this summer.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-transfers-derby-bird-sibley-24488672

4 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

If any club bids more than £8million I suggest we invite them in and lock the door behind them!

So far Sibley has shown great technique but he is too slow of thought to be a top payer. He's the current version of Craig Ramage.

Don't want to agree because there have been flashes of brilliance....but its hard to argue there isn't currently some truth in what you say. Keep hoping he can string together a run of performances to justify my belief in him...but it ain't easy sometimes. 

6 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Coventry City have Derby County midfield duo Max Bird and Louie Sibley on their radar but are not actively pursuing the pair at this stage of the transfer window.

CoventryLive understands that while both players are very much known to City’s recruitment department, they come into the contingency plan category in case the Sky Blues lose key players this summer.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-transfers-derby-bird-sibley-24488672

In other words, unless we sell O’Hare for big bucks then there’s no way we can afford them.