v Huddersfield (H) Match Thread

Day

Derby County and Huddersfield Town shared the spoils in a lively opening Sky Bet Championship fixture, as goals from Curtis Davies and Naby Sarr meant the points were split in a 1-1 draw at Pride Park.

Both teams will feel they have answered their critics somewhat, after being tipped to be in a relegation dogfight this campaign. Though it was Huddersfield who started the stronger team, Derby gradually grew into the game as the half went on, and opened the scoring in the 39th minute courtesy of Davies, who appeared to scramble in Nathan Byrne’s superb corner in at the far post. That hard work was undone right before HT though, when Sarr’s bullet header flew past Kelle Roos from Sorba Thomas’ perfectly directed free-kick. 

Louie Sibley was introduced at the start of the second half, and looked to make an immediate impact when his ambitious left-footed strike from distance just cleared the crossbar. That flashpoint came following Colin Kazim-Richards’ perfectly-weighted through ball, before Sibley later sent a separate long-range effort wide.

As Wayne Rooney’s side looked for a winning goal, the ever dependable Craig Forsyth weaved his way down the left flank and drifted in an enticing cross towards Kazim-Richards, who stretched, but couldn’t quite meet the ball. Nonetheless, Derby looked vulnerable from set pieces, and should have been behind when Matty Pearson was allowed to rise freely from a corner but headed over the bar.

Where the visitors are concerned, Sorba Thomas was one of their most impressive performers. He nearly had an assist to his name after playing a wonderful pass towards Josh Koroma, but after a brilliant first touch, his subsequent strike was superbly kept out by Roos in an entertaining end to the game.

35 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Are you for real. It’s a football song, do you want us to sing some classical. 

What do you think to the Colymore song? Is that childish? 

Honestly, you must be a real delight at any party you attend. 

@Bald Eagle's Barmy Army! I normally enjoy reading your posts but I have to disagree with this one! The song is childish but it is also very unkind, thoughtless and potentially distressing to the family. I'm sure that Colleen has got used to this kind of abuse, but I still don't like songs like this to be thought of as acceptable. I know that David Beckham has had to put up with the most vulgar and derogatory comments about his wife and no one should have to listen to those kind of vile chants. I'm posting because silence gives assent and I want to register my objection. Just don't make these songs so vile and personal. Aim them at the club generally and not at individuals especially when it involves wives and children.

Edited by Miggins

9 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Been at PP so not read any of the thread.

Thought Jozwiak looked a bit disinterested in pre season, thought he looked totally today.  He doesn’t want to play for us does he?

He didn't show much if any attacking threat but as another poster said he kept the ball pretty well until he couldn't make his mind up whether to pass or shoot half way through the second half.

Would expect more from an international winger against Huddersfield than just keep the ball tbf which is where I'm coming from.

4 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

When was the last time we won  a championship match.? We have our troubles but a win would be a boost all around.  Just can’t see it happening under Rooney as he doesn’t have the tactical or managerial nous to affect games.

Or we don't quite have the quality of players

8 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

When was the last time we won  a championship match.? We have our troubles but a win would be a boost all around.  Just can’t see it happening under Rooney as he doesn’t have the tactical or managerial nous to affect games.

New season, new team. The answer is 1 game without winning. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Not really. A 1 year deal on relative low wages. Think about the 3/4 year deals we’ve gave out these past few years. I’m pretty sure he’ll do more than Anya did for example. Hopefully!

It is when you’re limited on the amount of players you can bring in 

Good to get a point today given the turbulence over pre season. Was impressed by Roos, Bird, Shinnie and Forsyth today, and Sibley changed the game when he came on with his forward runs and confidence. Pretty sure Sibley had half our total shot count. Shinnie won the ball well, Bird played fairly positively and recycled the ball well and Forsyth's crosses we're quite dangerous. Roos looked composed, great shot stopping and sucked up pressure with his catching. 

Davis and Stearman looked ok together but there were a couple of nervy moments. Defending set pieces and the odd down the channel balls causing issues. Not sure how much of that comes down to Roos, but as experienced CBs I want them to step up.

Typical CKR performance. We need an alternative though as he won't be able to do that all season. Lawrence and Watson put themselves around but didn't create enough for me and Byrne was up and down that right side but again didn't really do anything of note. 

As others have said, with the ball at his feet, Joz looks great but end product just doesn't seem to be there. No killer instinct today and multiple shooting or final ball opps were not taken/wasted. Not sure whether he needs more time off or more freedom in a Derby shirt but he needs to show a lot more. 

Didn't think Ebosele or Hutchinson did much when they came on but glad they got minutes. 

Add some creativity from Morrison, give Sibley more time and get Bielik back and we're not half bad.

4 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

We’ve dug our own grave by sticking with Wazza. When will it be the final nail in the coffin.

I am not a big fan but he has probably got the safest job in the league. Unless he walks we just need to hope that he learns fast and shows signs of improvement. A point on the board, possibilities of further signings so fingers crossed. I would love nothing more than for him to turn things around…