Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

37 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Thanks. Can you expand on what you saw in Williams. Most know nothing about him. What position? What type of player? Etc. 

21 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

He’s not fully formed yet. He’s young and still looks like a boy. He was released by Wolves and has only been with us a short-time @Andrew3000. I think he’s left footed. I’m not sure even what position he plays and actually that may be his issue - he has the word “versatile” already appended and that was my problem at football - I played defence, midfield and more rarely up front so too easy to be chopped and changed. That said:

1. Like Will Hughes he looks very comfortable psychologically stepping up and a comfort and ease on the ball that conveys an attitude that he is in no way “phased” by the likes of playing alongside established players. 

2. He has a grace and swiftness and delicate touch and a good eye.

3. He has a good speed of thought and quick decision-making - an intelligent football brain.

Apparently he scores goals despite playing defence. On this brief showing, I’d say he’s more of a creative midfielder by design but just needs to establish a position and work with it. Left midfield or a number 10? 

I hope that gives you a flavour but I’d say it’s more about him having an X factor and a little surprising that Wolves didn’t see it. 

He's played LB, LW, DM, CM and AM for the U18/23s last season

I could have sworn I read he's been with us since U13 level but he OS suggests otherwise (coming from Wolves). He was definitely with our U16s though, as he played for the U18s in the early part of 19/20 (wasn't a scholar until 20/21)

I think one of the things which remains apparent in this side is the lack of cohesion through the team.

Plenty of players have good moments, a nice flick or a great pass, but then the recipient slows things down again and the initial advantage is lost. 

I’d like to see us be a bit braver and play some first time passes. I think we have enough players now who are capable of doing so. Watson got the ball to Bird quickly and he hit it first time and hey presto, a goal. 

Chris Martin (yeah, yeah, I know) put momentum into our attacks with first time flicks and passes. We haven’t really replaced that.

And pace, boy do we need some pace.

8 hours ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

I don’t now whether that was their first team or their academy players to be fair.  We gave them a good game. 
they should’ve scored etc..thing Is it gives me a glimmer of hope we can pull ourselves out this mess.

They play Leeds in a couple of days time so I imagine the starting 11 for that game will be stronger than the 11 they put out against us first-half.

We're in for a long season, but we knew that already.

Betis played in second gear, little more than a training match for them. We were in fourth, going up hill.

The highlights of the game were Darren Moore being there, greeted with a tired "did you bring your boots Daz?" by the comedian in the stands. Also the pitch looked better than anything that was on it.

I don't know whether the mid afternoon home made brownies wore off at half time, but I had a major realisation whilst watching the subs warm up, that it was nearly 10 years since watching Will Hughes do the same at Peterborough. The difference could not have been more stark. Back then we were assembling something, building towards a future.  Sure it was slow progress until Mac came in and I don't think I appreciated this at the time, but at least there were some bright sparks. Right now it's a struggle to see any on the horizon. A 53 year old Phil Jagielka and assorted journeymen dross on trial is hard to get excited by. We're back to 2008. Only with even less money.

The crowd were rather enthusiastic for a pre-season friendly, perhaps naive, or just more generous of heart, half ambled jogs down the touch line by substitutes were greeted with warm applause, the 40 odd Betis fans waved scarves. It was only when I spotted them that it occurred to me that we'd been robbed of a more aesthetically pleasing game by Betis' decision to abandon their classy green and white stripes in favour of a dull blue away kit. I hope they get relegated this season as punishment. 

If there's one thing that's good about Pride Park though, it's the view from the concourse of the Toyota Upper on a summer evening. Even the £5 Pedi tasted alright as the sun faded over the Gas Works and car showrooms at half time. Beautiful in a way.

I don't think I'll be at many games this year, a few London away games around friends birthdays and the odd early cup match perhaps. Given where we are as a club, I don't think I'll miss many special moments.

Up the Rams.

9 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Betis played in second gear, little more than a training match for them. We were in fourth, going up hill.

The highlights of the game were Darren Moore being there, greeted with a tired "did you bring your boots Daz?" by the comedian in the stands. Also the pitch looked better than anything that was on it.

I don't know whether the mid afternoon home made brownies wore off at half time, but I had a major realisation whilst watching the subs warm up, that it was nearly 10 years since watching Will Hughes do the same at Peterborough. The difference could not have been more stark. Back then we were assembling something, building towards a future.  Sure it was slow progress until Mac came in and I don't think I appreciated this at the time, but at least there were some bright sparks. Right now it's a struggle to see any on the horizon. A 53 year old Phil Jagielka and assorted journeymen dross on trial is hard to get excited by. We're back to 2008. Only with even less money.

The crowd were rather enthusiastic for a pre-season friendly, perhaps naive, or just more generous of heart, half ambled jogs down the touch line by substitutes were greeted with warm applause, the 40 odd Betis fans waved scarves. It was only when I spotted them that it occurred to me that we'd been robbed of a more aesthetically pleasing game by Betis' decision to abandon their classy green and white stripes in favour of a dull blue away kit. I hope they get relegated this season as punishment. 

If there's one thing that's good about Pride Park though, it's the view from the concourse of the Toyota Upper on a summer evening. Even the £5 Pedi tasted alright as the sun faded over the Gas Works and car showrooms at half time. Beautiful in a way.

I don't think I'll be at many games this year, a few London away games around friends birthdays and the odd early cup match perhaps. Given where we are as a club, I don't think I'll miss many special moments.

Up the Rams.

Bet you're fun at parties.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Winning is a habit. Clean sheets another habit. I'll take both, friendly or not!

Exactly last pre season we made a habit of not scoring and that basically carried into the entire campaign. Winning is winning no matter who it’s against or what competition. Yes next Saturday and from then onwards is the important stuff but another win against Notts county on Sunday will do us the world of good (especially  if we can actually sign the players contributing to it!) 

Edited by Ramos

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Up the Rams.

A beautiful and thought-provoking piece @JoetheRam(love the avatar) which on reflection reminded me of that great Orwell quote, " If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever.” 

13 hours ago, sage said:

Haven't watched the game but I heard we beat the 6th best team in Spain 1 -0.

Just quickly flipped through the thread and it seems we must have lost 5 or 6 nil.

An issue for me is that we're a week away from the first match of the season yet only 6 Derby players started the game.

But winning and clean sheets are always good habits to try to get into. Let's hope we play a full Derby 11 against County on Sunday, and they can do the same.

Like many of us, I have not been particularly looking forward to this season. We certainly enter 2021/22 with relegation in our mind rather than our promotion focus of the past decade or so.

However, in the end each team is just 11 players on the park, we have a couple of decent goalies so need 10 outfield players. I am fairly certain Byrne, Buchanan, Shinnie, Lawrence, Bird and Jozwiak could play the full season. So in my mind we are looking at four core first team players needed. Jagielka, Forsyth, Wisdom and Davies between them should conceivably cover the two CB positions for us. The remaining two need to be goal scorers / creative players. We can work Kazim-Richards for another season but as much as I love him, the lack of pace limits us. He needs a good alternative and/or partner for the season. I personally think Morrison looked good for our additional mid/winger, like Hughes of old, someone who just wanted the ball and could be a spark. 

I was at the game yesterday and liked the style we are building for, limited time wasted at the back, moving the ball quicker, looking for ideas. Feel much more positive. 

Remember, we have had some fantastic 'late career' players over our best seasons. In the championship a consistent, stable first 11 can really make a season until the Christmas break, when some new arrivals will always help. We will have Bielik and Knight coming back in to this team.

Our stars this year will be: Lawrence, Watson and Morrison (if he signs).

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

An issue for me is that we're a week away from the first match of the season yet only 6 Derby players started the game.

But winning and clean sheets are always good habits to try to get into. Let's hope we play a full Derby 11 against County on Sunday, and they can do the same.

I tend to agree. If there’s no definitive knowledge that we can sign the triallists  we should be fielding a team of players that we know we can. A game together is required even if things do change and we end up signing them. There’s only really the CB’s that are an issue but Fozzy can be one so just needs a partner.