v Salford City - Pre Season Friendly

Day

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The lads know it's pre season too obviously but to keep losing on the back of last season's winless run is going to knock the confidence out of the best of them surely?

I'm sure they want to win too. You could see how pissed off Morrison was with Baldock when he tried to pass it back to him rather than shooting. We're short of fire power and defenders. The small bright spark is that Stretton should be back in training.

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We need a new one. 

We needed a new one last season but we extended Forsyth's contract. 

He's fine if given space to cross but defensively he's too slow. 

We need a lot of things?, but if there isn't a left back available on loan or as a free agent then what can we do? and considering we don't have any centre backs and one striker, aren't we stuck with the left backs we have? 

30 minutes ago, peakram said:

Not sure Carroll is the type of player we need, as QPR fans seem to think he is a backwards and sideways passer who does not set up goals or score any. We already have these type of players on the books so surely if limited to four signings, it needs to be in areas where we are more deficient, e.g. attacking midfielders, goalscorers or centre halfs.

despite being the number 1 progressive passer in the championship last season. 

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm sure they want to win too. You could see how pissed off Morrison was with Baldock when he tried to pass it back to him rather than shooting. We're short of fire power and defenders. The small bright spark is that Stretton should be back in training.

Ok,be good to have Stretton as an option.

In respect of Baldocks miss (and the others in the game)..this has been a theme throughout Wayne's time in charge and we have to lay some blame at his feet...he's the head coach after all and in charge of instilling the mindset into the lads so they feel confident and happy to take that chance as and when it presents itself and without fear.

To say the manager doesn't influence these things,just look at the difference and massive increase in goals when Mac took over from the cautious Clough?...we were all of a sudden scoring goals for fun because of what changed in their coaching and management.

And that wasn't a team full of stars and known names,the majority were cheap or loan players from essentially nowhere brilliantly recruited by Clough,but Mac was able to mould them into a cohesive squad of confident players whose sum was greater than its parts.

We need to stop making excuses for the coaching team,it's gone on for too long..

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

In respect of Baldocks miss (and the others in the game)..this has been a theme throughout Wayne's time in charge and we have to lay some blame at his feet...he's the head coach after all and in charge of instilling the mindset into the lads so they feel confident and happy to take that chance as and when it presents itself and without fear.

Have you any idea what Baldock (one 'miss) and Aluko's (two misses) recent scoring record is? I'll give you a hint it makes CKR look like ducking Messi! 

Blame the fact they aren't good enough but no-one else will come here. FFS we can't even sign them! ?

Today was HOT, I was melting, literally melting. The game? Yeah, weather was nice.

Already hints of a toxic atmosphere, some strong words coming out the stadium. Some will never learn. 

Was decent atmosphere though before they scored, got to be said, the goal changed it massively.

Not a great situation I know, but still, pre season is pre season.

The stadium? Looks great, but the facilities were crap, toilets were in a HGV container, they had 2 kiosks, 2 people to serve in each, one food only and cash only, the other alcohol only and card and they were slow, like Pride Park is rapid compared to them. 

Got to be honest, I felt a little uncomfortable with Covid and that, only saw the odd mask and as the game started people piled in around us to the point we couldn’t move.

The sun blasting at us I went out to watch the game from the corner just outside with the beer to get a bit of space.

Would have preferred to go in the seating area but there you go.

Anyhow, got some pics, @DarkFruitsRam7 legged it to the toilets as soon as we arrived as expected.

A37921D8-CB18-43A7-B990-542A8F2E7224.jpeg

DE887893-346C-4B17-B8A9-0BF12420EC57.jpeg

DFD831F6-1CA2-47CE-9374-DB994B56EFD5.jpeg

6110FB96-998A-4AFA-B1AD-15052FB0D41C.jpeg

EA638DA5-1DDB-4C0D-80DB-31E6EA3C152C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, David said:

Today was HOT, I was melting, literally melting. The game? Yeah, weather was nice.

Already hints of a toxic atmosphere, some strong words coming out the stadium. Some will never learn. 

Was decent atmosphere though before they scored, got to be said, the goal changed it massively.

The stadium? Looks great, but the facilities were crap, toilets were in a HGV container, they had 2 kiosks, 2 people to serve in each, one food only and cash only, the other alcohol only and card and they were slow, like Pride Park is rapid compared to them. 

Got to be honest, I felt a little uncomfortable with Covid and that, only saw the odd mask and as the game started people piled in around us to the point we couldn’t move.

The sun blasting at us I went out to watch the game from the corner just outside with the beer to get a bit of space.

Anyhow, got some pics, @DarkFruitsRam7 legged it to the toilets as soon as we arrived as expected.

Good pics and you could hear the Derby fans sounding loud and proud on the broadcast.???

2 minutes ago, David said:

Has DarkFruitsRam7 shaved his head to show a bit of esprit de corps? ?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you any idea what Baldock (one 'miss) and Aluko's (two misses) recent scoring record is? I'll give you a hint it makes CKR look like ducking Messi! 

Blame the fact they aren't good enough but no-one else will come here. FFS we can't even sign them! ?

Come on Roy, during these really difficult times we need that positivity from you to continue #COYR #inwazzawetrust

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Good pics and you could hear the Derby fans sounding loud and proud on the broadcast.???

Yeah early on it was great, really positive. We had a chance in the second half which we wasted and triggered the “we’re f’in poo”, then they scored and that was it. Shame really but I guess it should be expected 

Just now, David said:

Yeah early on it was great, really positive. We had a chance in the second half which we wasted and triggered the “we’re f’in poo”, then they scored and that was it. Shame really but I guess it should be expected 

Yeah,it's hard when are on a long poo run to keep the supporters in the ground onside.

We desperately need even a very small run of positive results to gee everyone up.

Baldocks one on one was a strange one wasn’t it.  He opened his body up so far he almost had his back to goal? as though he was “obviously “ laying it off.  If he had dragged it to his left which I think even undiscovered tribes living in the east Amazon rain forest thought he would do ( according to the shamen ) it would have been a tap in.  Worrying thinking from a striker.

58 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ok,be good to have Stretton as an option.

To say the manager doesn't influence these things,just look at the difference and massive increase in goals when Mac took over from the cautious Clough?...we were all of a sudden scoring goals for fun because of what changed in their coaching and management.

And that wasn't a team full of stars and known names,the majority were cheap or loan players from essentially nowhere brilliantly recruited by Clough,but Mac was able to mould them into a cohesive squad of confident players whose sum was greater than its parts.

We need to stop making excuses for the coaching team,it's gone on for too long..

Excellent post this totally spot on 

if we are relying on Stretton and CKR to get us enough goals I cannot see us being anything other than relegation material …put a couple of dangerous goalscorers in there and we’d start to look a lot better 

my worry is I don’t see any change in our play since Rooney took over and if it wasn’t Wayne Rooney he’d have been out by now and before anyone mentions we can’t afford to sack him we did with Cocu albeit he hasn’t been fully paid off which is credit to him 

I think Wayne’s captaincy speech shocked me how un inspiring he comes across when speaking I’m not sure he’s right for us especially at this time …we need someone who knows this division so Alex Neill would be my choice ( begrudgingly ) I dont particurlarly like him but if you think about it he knows how to get out of this division and how to operate on a budget this isn’t Wayne’s job I’m afraid 

Maybe when Stretton comes back, we can at least try 2 up top at some point in pre season. 

couple of other random thoughts: 

a) Our second half full backs - Fozzy and McDonald actually looked better going forward than our first half version. Slightly worried about Buchanan. 

b) Really liked Morrison. Appreciate he’s a gamble given his history but he had a few moments of real quality going forward. 

c) Allsop’s continued presence fascinating - can only mean that one of Roos/Marshall might depart in a transfer. Can’t imagine having all 3 under contract but Allsop could easily be first choice from the 3.

d) Shinnie added a bit more bite - need someone like him alongside Bird, particularly given Bielik and Knight’s absence for the next few months

e) Feel for Watson - I’d have him ahead of Hutchinson and he would have got good minutes in these two games to make his case. 

f) happy with both Stearman and Jagielka individually but not sure they’re the right partnership - which is presumably why we want the extra speed of Mengi. 

30 minutes ago, S8TY said:

before anyone mentions we can’t afford to sack him we did with Cocu albeit he hasn’t been fully paid off which is credit to him 

We couldn't afford to sack Cocu, he agreed to defer some of the payment and we still haven't paid him all of it. If we still haven't paid Cocu then we definitely can't afford to sack another manager earning as much as Rooney is.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well unless he decides to play up front?

They looked fairly decent going forward at times both halves, first half particularly. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

If Aluko and Baldock could hit a cows arse with a banjo we should have had three easy goals.

And who brought them in as trialists?  Erm........

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well unless he decides to play up front?

They looked fairly decent going forward at times both halves, first half particularly. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

If Aluko and Baldock could hit a cows arse with a banjo we should have had three easy goals.

2 hours ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

Can we calm down a little? This is an early preseason game where we need to both try out trialists as we can only sign four and attempt to change our woeful playing style from last season. Rooney said after ManU that this game was going to be how we deal with more possession with a different style from the season before. Bird said in an interview it's a change up. Can someone who watched the game give me some idea of what this lookes like today without just shouting we lost 2-1 to a league two side?

I think the main point from the game is there is no evidence at all so far that things are any different from last season. Slow, ponderous, lots of playing between centre halves and defenders, lots of sideways and backwards. No intensity out of possession, no quick transition when winning the ball back. Didn't ever really stretch or get behind them. 

When Salford sat off us first half we looked ok but much like last season, we offered very little in the final third. Couple of outside the box shots and our best chance fell to Baldock, who inexplicably when one on one with the keeper tried to pass square to a marked Morrison and the danger passed.

I'd said last season my biggest concern was going into this season with Rosenior and Walker as the coaching team behind Rooney, and that he needed some experience and improvement around him. It hasn't happened and I'm afraid the status quo off the pitch is being reflected as a status quo on it.