v Salford City - Pre Season Friendly

Day

Saw nothing positive in this game, that gives me much hope for the coming season.

A lot of the failings we had last season are still evident today.

Our present attacking options are more limited than last season. 

We desperately need a dominant centre-back, Wisdom is not and never will be a centre-back. Offering him a new contract is just another example of how poor this team is. As will offering contracts to the other CBs we have training with us, will any of them be are capable of completing a full season.

Our youngsters are not showing the full potential that many fans were hoping for, this is either due to being badly managed or they are not as good as we thought.

Personally I think some of the problems we have now, are due to the present inexperienced management. I'm not laying all the blame at Ronney's feet. The problems he inherited and now faces began as far back as Clement or even Mac 1 and have been compounded upon by every manager since.

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

desperately need CB's too. Unlike strikers, we actually don't have any of them

I know, what a mess. However we only have 1 proven striker who not exactly a spring chicken, and goal scoring is our biggest issue from last season and seems to be carrying on into pre-season. Don’t score goals, you don’t win games. 

It’s only a pre-season friendly so there’s only so much you can take from it, the positives were:

Sibley looked good and made an impact in the limited time he had.

We got mins in some players legs.

Thats about it.

The rest of it was similar fare to last season with a few different faces. It’s concerning that the “new style” is the same as the old style. 

Make no mistake we are going to find ourselves in games similar to today’s all to often this season. The Manure game was an outlier, Salford were a much better fit for our season ahead!

Edited by Ramarena

5 hours ago, Topram said:

Bloody hell what a waste of a fiver 

I know that the money goes to Derby, but I'm not overly impressed that Derby took my cash instead of providing a link to Salford's YouTube channel.

The double-whammy was that I stopped watching even though I had paid for it. Maybe that makes me worse than an armchair fan! And not worthy to be on the forum!

Just got back home time to have a few gins and reflect on today.

Glad I went, never been to Salford before quite a neat little ground though can imagine parking on a proper matchday would be real nightmare. Pretty good following too IMO given what's going on at the club and no disrespect to Salford but hardly a glam tie. 

We looked ok in the first half wonder what would have been if we had managed to convert some of the chances we squandered.

Second half we were unrecognisable and you wouldn't have known who was the Championship club. Passing laboured and crab like again to no effect, totally impotent and had to be gifted an og which was probably the only way we were going to score. 

Few boos at the end, just very underwhelming.

If Rooney doesn't know from this game who his top picks are then God help us as he needs to start cultivating some more transfer leads. 

Honestly think this job is beyond a lot of managers but definitely Rooney am afraid, am resigned to him not going anywhere, I hope his ego doesn't pull the club down too with him.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I know, what a mess. However we only have 1 proven striker who not exactly a spring chicken, and goal scoring is our biggest issue from last season and seems to be carrying on into pre-season. Don’t score goals, you don’t win games. 

true, but you can also say Don't concede goals, you don't lose.

12 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

true, but you can also say Don't concede goals, you don't lose.

You cant win 0-0 mate 

5 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

How can mel pay the debts when been no money coming In for past 2 years nearly.

All the other clubs have been in the situation with no money coming in but don't seem to be in the same situation as us,if the club can't pay it's debts then it goes into administration

50 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

if the club can't pay it's debts then it goes into administration

If the club can’t pay its debts it (once more) asks Mel to pay them. If Mel does not pay them, and if he doesn’t sell to someone who will, we maybe go into administration. I think we have more immediate things to worry about than administration 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just got back home time to have a few gins and reflect on today.

Glad I went, never been to Salford before quite a neat little ground though can imagine parking on a proper matchday would be real nightmare. Pretty good following too IMO given what's going on at the club and no disrespect to Salford but hardly a glam tie. 

We looked ok in the first half wonder what would have been if we had managed to convert some of the chances we squandered.

Second half we were unrecognisable and you wouldn't have known who was the Championship club. Passing laboured and crab like again to no effect, totally impotent and had to be gifted an og which was probably the only way we were going to score. 

Few boos at the end, just very underwhelming.

If Rooney doesn't know from this game who his top picks are then God help us as he needs to start cultivating some more transfer leads. 

Honestly think this job is beyond a lot of managers but definitely Rooney am afraid, am resigned to him not going anywhere, I hope his ego doesn't pull the club down too with him.

I think blind faith and ignorant hope still runs deep with me personally. I haven’t seen the team yet since Weds at home. 

If the result today was indeed the correct one that matched our performance, I believe that WR the superstar of a footballer that he was isn’t doing to be repeated on WR the manager, this is a very different beast all together.

I would like to see WR develop into the next Brian Clough of course I would………. However to achieve this he needs his Peter Taylor, without that football management intellect I fear for our season. 

Please play Sibbo Wazza, he is the enigma in this team that you are yet to appreciate. Trust LS and we could see a different Derby County to that which just lost to duck SALFORD CITY WTF ? 

Yes it's pre-season. I get that many will say results don't matter and it's about fitness. 

But this is wrong. As a club we're in a terrible position. The players need to believe they can score goals. We need to get into the habit of winning, and grab the confidence that brings. 

There was only one player on the pitch who looked like he really cared about winning, who was desperate to win his own battles, whose every thought was forward. 

If Rooney seriously can't see Louie Sibley is our only hope to get something out of this season, then we are already relegated. 

Just now, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I think blind faith and ignorant hope still runs deep with me personally. I haven’t seen the team yet since Weds at home. 

If the result today was indeed the correct one that matched our performance, I believe that WR the superstar of a footballer that he was isn’t doing to be repeated on WR the manager, this is a very different beast all together.

I would like to see WR develop into the next Brian Clough of course I would………. However to achieve this he needs his Peter Taylor, without that football management intellect I fear for our season. 

Please play Sibbo Wazza, he is the enigma in this team that you are yet to appreciate. Trust LS and we could see a different Derby County to that which just lost to duck SALFORD CITY WTF ? 

The second half was truly shocking, a casual observer would have had trouble picking out the team playing in the Championship and the one two tiers below them it was that bad. 

11 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Did Sibbo have any influence?

He did mate,he had flair and more confidence....set up our only goal with fozzy (despite it being an own goal).

Felt like he was playing a different game to the rest of the team however,like he was off script.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yes it's pre-season. I get that many will say results don't matter and it's about fitness. 

But this is wrong. As a club we're in a terrible position. The players need to believe they can score goals. We need to get into the habit of winning, and grab the confidence that brings. 

There was only one player on the pitch who looked like he really cared about winning, who was desperate to win his own battles, whose every thought was forward. 

If Rooney seriously can't see Louie Sibley is our only hope to get something out of this season, then we are already relegated. 

I’m still can’t get my head round the fact that he played Morrison instead of Sibley and then said he can’t sign Morrison anyway!