v Salford City - Pre Season Friendly

David

9 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

So who's the left back??

The Morrison situation just reminds me of Ozil's later years at Arsenal, huge talent but just a massive luxury player who will go missing. 

We need a new one. 

We needed a new one last season but we extended Forsyth's contract. 

He's fine if given space to cross but defensively he's too slow. 

Thought Bird played quite well going forward, he made loads of really nice incisive passes forward in to the front four, not his fault they didn't do anything with it. He looked slightly lightweight defensively though. 

Forsyth played well when he came on, by far our best crosser of the ball. Buchanan really needs to learn from him how to do that. Sibley was bright and Ebosele looked exciting,while Morrison seemed inventive. 

The rest of them... Meh

OK, a real mixed bag. The result obviously wasn't good but a good exercise against a team who pressed high, were competitive & keen to game manage - very similar to sides we'll be playing this season. Lets also not forget Salford are highly likely to be finishing top 3 in League Two this coming season (one of the biggest budgets in bottom 2 divisions) so not a massive difference quality wise.

First half we were unfortunate to go in behind. Totally dominated before the goal & even with their tails up after their goal (and pressing higher), we were still able to play through them. Bird was particularly good first half - they struggled to press us effectively because he controlled the tempo & was unafraid to pass through the lines. Carroll & Morrison also had moments of breaking through Salford's midfield but as an overall unit, the intensity wasn't good enough - too many touches, too pedestrian & not enough movement from those further forward. That said, still had a few chances - Aluko should have scored, Morrison unfortunate with header, Carroll should have got his effort on target & there were other instances of decent delivery but not enough bodies in the box.

Poor goal to concede start of the second half (first goal just a fluke - Morrison really unfortunate to concede a penalty) - poor pass from Shinnie & whilst Elliott is good in the air, to rise so easily between McDonald & Wisdom was not good enough - even if you factor in they'd only been on 6/7 mins. Thereafter, we still created chances - Baldock did well with one effort but an atrocious decision to try & pass to Morrison for the near open goal

Positives - felt Jagielka & Stearman looked very solid & rarely troubled, Sibley looked really bright when he came on, good to see Bird playing with such confidence, Forsyth put in some great delivery from left side second half (as did Byrne first half)

As a takeaway, I like how we're trying to play but we need to work on the intensity of our attacking play & one touch stuff - we're not going to open disciplined teams up otherwise. Some of that will be pre-season rustiness & a lot of new faces - we can improve & we will improve.

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

I guess what I meant was the possession never really gave us control of the game didn’t think we stretched Salford enough or moved them around much 

the chances conversion rate i think you posted something similar

My point is if we created so many chances (that were missed) that the possession stretched them enough.

We had enough chances to win 2 games. 

Not sure Carroll is the type of player we need, as QPR fans seem to think he is a backwards and sideways passer who does not set up goals or score any. We already have these type of players on the books so surely if limited to four signings, it needs to be in areas where we are more deficient, e.g. attacking midfielders, goalscorers or centre halfs.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Well that was gash.

Only saving grace was thought I got a parking ticket for putting my car on one of the side roads near to the ground without a permit but was just a warning inside. 

Now that would have capped off an excellent day 

PicsArt_07-24-05.27.36.jpg

That’s a fake. A local resident has done that, because they are upset people park on their roads.

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm entirely sure I like the look of Tom Carroll - I don't care if he drops like the Wardrobe. I also didn't hear any comments about this either and I did see the bit where he was on the floor.

I actually thought Carroll looked bright and liked to get the ball forward I’m not a big fan of his but on today’s performance he’d be one i’d sign 

Edited by S8TY

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well unless he decides to play up front?

They looked fairly decent going forward at times both halves, first half particularly. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

If Aluko and Baldock could hit a cows arse with a banjo we should have had three easy goals.

What's my agenda Roy other than wanting to see a coherent system and better management?

If Rooney was demonstrating either over his tenure and I could see any sign of improvement then I'd be his most fervent supporter.

I have no dislike of him at all as a person but i'm not interested at all in what he did as a player...to believe in him as a manager purely because you may have admired him as a player makes no sense mate.

He has to achieve with the squad,to show improvement,to show he can adapt and take us forwards.

And to be blunt,he hasnt and shows no signs of being able to do so.

I wish he would as we are stuck with him and he's all we have for the foreseeable.

It would be good if you were more objective yourself Roy when it comes to Wayne,I always appreciated that in you in the past.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

What's my agenda Roy other than wanting to see a coherent system and better management?

It would be good if you were more objective yourself Roy when it comes to Wayne,I always appreciated that in you in the past.

It's PRESEASON. If you didn't think we played decent stuff in the 1st half and some of the 2nd I might see where you're coming from. But we did and I can't.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

It's PRESEASON. If you didn't think we played decent stuff in the 1st half and some of the 2nd I might see where you're coming from. But we did and I can't.

Roy mate,this isn't his first season,if it was he would be having massive slack.

But it's his second and we are no farther forwards.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

My point is if we created so many chances (that were missed) that the possession stretched them enough.

We had enough chances to win 2 games. 

Aluko missed two sitters. Baldock another in the 2nd half. There were other chances. We're desperate for a goal-scorer, not keen on either of those two tbh.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We really could do with a win though Roy, pre-season or not, don’t you think ?