v Salford City - Pre Season Friendly

Day

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Based on what, the fact Sibley is a youngster struggling to recreate his 'form' from two seasons ago?

Show me any player attacking who can recreate their past form, or build up any new form based on 20 minutes here and there played out of position in a team which has a defence-first setup.

Funnily enough the first time (actually only) he was used correctly, in position, in an attacking setup with other people to play off was Brentford away, scored a good goal to get us a point.

After that? Back to the wing!  He did have a good game out of position on the right but that was when we trialled the  Waghorn/Gregory combo so he had 2 CFs to play with, he wasn't just stuck out there on his own with the nearest attacker / midfielder 30 yards away from him 

Yes he gives away silly free kicks and gets a few bookings. Does that justify his constant misuse and the nullification of any attacking threat he might bring to a team already utterly desperate for some attacking flair? 

The fear of him giving away a free kick that leads to a goal or picking up enough bookings to be suspended for 4, 5 games a season is understandable when results are so tight and can hinge on so little but it works both ways. Use him properly and the benefits should far outweigh the risks.

Edited by Coconut

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hardly surprising with no CBs and one striker. Plus two injured midfielders.

We had CB’s yesterday and last season Macca ? What progress do you think we have made under Wayne ? #wealllovemaccaspositivityandsupportforwazza

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

Mate Carl and the Sibley clan are relentless.

Hes good but still learning.

The Sibley clan don’t do anyone any favours at DCFC it’s disrespectful to all the other players 

How is pointing out one player has some natural talent and tenacity that our other players lack so should be starting disrespectful to other players exactly? 

32 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

How is pointing out one player has some natural talent and tenacity that our other players lack so should be starting disrespectful to other players exactly? 

Which other players are you calling out then?

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

You don't have to be calling out players than to admit some players are better than others. 

You were putting players in a hierarchy of 'natural talent and tenacity' lacking by others. So make your list and see whether we all agree.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You were putting players in a hierarchy of 'natural talent and tenacity' lacking by others. So make your list and see whether we all agree.

I was making the point that it's not disrespectful to other players to say some are better than others and some possess traits that others don't have. 

46 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Because it’s being inferred by some that the others are useless and not trying .

Sibley is good in one type of system to which he has to be accommodated 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Because it’s being inferred by some that the others are useless and not trying .

Sibley is good in one type of system to which he has to be accommodated 

Do you think the squad is loaded with talent honestly? I don't think it's inherently disrespectful to say that we need to maximise our talent the best we can as we are short on people who can compete at a second division level. If we were shouting 'you're crap' in the street that'd be a different matter.  Last season our midfield didn't support the front line nor did it protect the backline very well and that needs to change. Sibley can be a key link man who for some reason doesn't seem to be in wayne's plans. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Do you think the squad is loaded with talent honestly? I don't think it's inherently disrespectful to say that we need to maximise our talent the best we can as we are short on people who can compete at a second division level. If we were shouting 'you're crap' in the street that'd be a different matter.  Last season our midfield didn't support the front line nor did it protect the backline very well and that needs to change. Sibley can be a key link man who for some reason doesn't seem to be in wayne's plans. 

I think Rosenior must have some say in our plans as well. 

Genuine question.

What is Sibleys position is he a 10 .

Does Rooney want to play with a 10 .

I have no doubt Sibley has great ability but his temperament is suspect at times even though you need his bite. 

Now take MaX Bird does he get the same plaudits as Sibley from the fans I’m not sure. 

I mean we had Owen Bradley saying a star is born at PP in commentary (and I like Owen ) after he scored a great goal and it was a great goal.

Football though is about consistency week in week out and that’s what he needs to develop and so to say Rooney doesn’t like him or rate might not be true .

Sibley is an impact player IMO answers he can make things happen where as with Shinnie and Bird you know what you will get .

It’s a tough one and th lad is very young  

I actually think Rooney will be good for Sibley I mean Shaun Barker said the system he came on to yesterday would suit him and so I take that as recognition of how we need to utilize the guy  

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I think Rosenior must have some say in our plans as well. 

Genuine question.

What is Sibleys position is he a 10 .

Does Rooney want to play with a 10 .

I have no doubt Sibley has great ability but his temperament is suspect at times even though you need his bite. 

Now take MaX Bird does he get the same plaudits as Sibley from the fans I’m not sure. 

I mean we had Owen Bradley saying a star is born at PP in commentary (and I like Owen ) after he scored a great goal and it was a great goal.

Football though is about consistency week in week out and that’s what he needs to develop and so to say Rooney doesn’t like him or rate might not be true .

Sibley is an impact player IMO answers he can make things happen where as with Shinnie and Bird you know what you will get .

It’s a tough one and th lad is very young  

I actually think Rooney will be good for Sibley I mean Shaun Barker said the system he came on to yesterday would suit him and so I take that as recognition of how we need to utilize the guy  

I'd say Sibley's natural position is a 10 but he can easily become an attacking central midfielder being given licence. Personally, I don't think Bird is as good as the things he needs to be good at as Sibley is tbh. But that's just my opinion. Sibley for my money isn't being given enough game time this pre-season, if it was me I'd be benching Morrison and putting Sibley in for 65 minutes. I'm not sure how you can develop consistency if you're not being played regularly? That just doesn't make sense logically really. 

Sibley wasn't utilised enough last season either and I'm not sure how not giving a talented young player much game time is going to be good for him? 

Shinnie and Bird as a combination were absolutely shocking last season and looked shocking in the second half of the game yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'd say Sibley's natural position is a 10 but he can easily become an attacking central midfielder being given licence. Personally, I don't think Bird is as good as the things he needs to be good at as Sibley is tbh. But that's just my opinion. Sibley for my money isn't being given enough game time this pre-season, if it was me I'd be benching Morrison and putting Sibley in for 65 minutes. I'm not sure how you can develop consistency if you're not being played regularly? That just doesn't make sense logically really. 

Sibley wasn't utilised enough last season either and I'm not sure how not giving a talented young player much game time is going to be good for him? 

Shinnie and Bird as a combination were absolutely shocking last season and looked shocking in the second half of the game yesterday. 

Like you say it’s all about opinions.

Steve McClaren chose to leave Bryson on the bench for 68 minutes at Wembley and Frank Lampard chose to not start Marriott at Wembley. 

Things that might have helped us 

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That jovial, positive Macca seems to be getting a tad tetchy….what’s up mate ? #welovethemacca

5 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think a team so lacking in creativity and goals can’t afford not to play one of it’s most creative young players. I was hoping under Wazza’s new style and game plan we would be more offensive and play just the one holding midfielder….certainly hope that will happen when Bielik is back playing ?