Mighty Rams are number 1, who are your number 2?

Jimbo Ram

My grandsons junior team. I haven't missed a game since he started in the u8's and he's coming up to 16 this year. Tbh I get more enjoyment from this than the professional game these days, until you have experienced a November away game v Buxton at Sterndale Moor Quarry in gale force wind and driving rain you haven't lived

It used to be Derby when I moved here 25 years ago, but they got under my skin so much, it kept itching so they got promoted 

My former No 1 and now number 2 is Manchester United. My Grandad took me to my first live game. Gerry Daly scored the first goal I ever saw live V Fulham 2nd division … low hard shot from about 15 yards drilled into the bottom corner, remember it like it was yesterday. Dropped his shoulder, bang …50,000 stood up and I became a football fan for real.  … so there is a thread that connected me to Derby.

Strong Affection for Luton, my nephews team. An away game with him at the impact arena let me see the other side of the great game.  Loved it when Leicester won the league, always wanted Spurs to do well .. just a great name for a team ? Hotspurs .. flipping brilliant. 

Went to Easter Road and saw Hearts once when working In Edinburgh so kind of always want them to do well … got told all about the famous five by grizzled foundry men in my youth. 

the list goes on. Just don’t like Forest and Leeds …. Obviously ? 

jees I can waffle 

Grimsby Town . Happened to be in Braintree about 7or8 yrs ago and they were in town . It was a 0-0 draw in the Conference with a crowd of about 1400 . Grimsby is over 4hrs to Braintree but they had about 1000 fans and they sung non stop. Seen them a few times since when they have been near me and the away support is always good . UTM ????

22 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Born within earshot of the BBG in Abingdon Street, so always a Rams fan. Second and third teams are the ones nearest where I now live in NE London. Orient are a great family club and just 3 tube stops away. Their supporters club bar regularly wins CAMRA awards. Next, and one tube stop further away, is West Ham where I became a STH 4 years ago, mainly because of the over 65s price which has now gone up to £160!

Well, being born in Ilford, technically my home town club should be Leyton Orient or West  Ham but it's  not and I'm very happy it ain't. 

I keep an eye out for Orient resuls though.

This 2nd team is tricky for those of us who werent born in Derby and have maybe moved around a bit when young.

I'm not from Derby but have lived here for 2 years and been a Ram since the FA Cup semi in 76. 

At that time I was nearly 9 and going to school in Luton (Ramridge Juniors)

From 11 -17 i lived in Bursledon,  so watched a lot of Southampton at the Dell, Keegan,Channon, Ball etc.

Then Bognor/Worthing and watched a lot of Brighton at the Goldstone with workmates.

But, I'm going to plump for Aston Villa as my current 2nd Team, only because my eldest is obsessed and always enjoyed taking him there for his birtgday treat.

Burton Albion because I was born somewhere between the brewery and the marmite factory and lived in a village 5 miles away from there for the first 18 years of my life. I'm equally at home in Belper and Burton.

I also look for the Aston Villa result because my mum was born next to the Villa ground in 1931. My grandpa loved the Villa. One Saturday morning he had loads of teeth taken out and still went to the match in the afternoon. Mum always knew what mood he would be in by looking at the faces of the men as they walked past the window after the match.

Edited by Miggins
typo!

AS Roma. And to be honest they've probably had more of my affections/interest since my mid 20s (when I left Derby). Best mate at Uni was Italian and so started watching games then went out with him then the rest is history. Fell in love with the club, the people, the language, the culture. 

On 17/07/2021 at 12:59, LeedsCityRam said:

Ha yeah that was the attraction for us...that plus being able to have beers whilst watching the game!

Got a lot more interested in Bundesliga since they reopened as the first major league last May. Really like the fan culture there & 50+1 ownership which keeps clubs closer to their fans...shame about Leipzig. Definitely will return to check out some more games...probably in Nordrhein Westfalen with Gladbach (my fave German side) as the starting point.

Be interesting to see how/if Union change if they keep being successful. Hopefully they stay true to their ethos ?

This is another beatiful part of German football culture. When there's a need, they act.

Crewe Alex is my second Club. 

Played for the Reserves under Dario (Never got touched) guess I wasn't good enough looking and My Grandad played for them. Guessing it's in the Family. 

Not had a whole lot of luck with My teams, Maybe I am a bad omen. Still Derby is my first love and I look forward to another Rollercoaster of a season. COYR

Notts County. Dad and father in law both played for the reserves. We sometimes used to go to Meadow Lane when Derby were away. Always kept an eye out for them. 

My family are all Derby, my wife's family are all Notts County. The great thing about family get togethers is that everyone hates Forest.