Mighty Rams are number 1, who are your number 2?

Jimbo Ram

I live in Trafford but am a Derby native. There has only ever been one team on my radar and I always think that a '2nd Team' sounds like they have been nudged into 2nd place by your favourite which isn't really the case for me because I'm not really bothered about anyone else. I do get that it is a more complex equation for some than it is for me though with mixed family loyalties and such.

In fairness I do keep an eye out for my local team Altrincham (Alty) but that's a curiosity rather than an avid interest and a general admiration for their fans who have Manchester United and City on their doorstep.

I've not got a second team, But I all ways look for Burtons score and I do follow the Welsh premier league, saw a few ex Derby players playing for a few Welsh teams,, not Cardiff or Swansea.. 

Edited by Pez

On 17/07/2021 at 19:44, Foreveram said:

Ian Botham played for Scunthorpe and Yeovil not Lincoln 

Sorry, been out of action and only just saw this.

Well I did say it was a vague memory and whilst I'm not saying you are wrong about Scunthorpe and Yeovil but having checked online as far as I can (I'm far from an expert) Ian Botham spent more time playing professionally for Somerset than any other club and he absolutely did play for Lincoln City before moving to Scunthorpe (both Lincolnshire teams) though the distinction re being captain of a England cricket team, a first class County cricket team and a league club at the same time may well have referred his time at Scunthorpe. But he was at Lincoln City, in fact before he went to Scunthorpe. Again, I did say it was a vague memory.

18 minutes ago, rufus said:

Sorry, been out of action and only just saw this.

Well I did say it was a vague memory and whilst I'm not saying you are wrong about Scunthorpe and Yeovil but having checked online as far as I can (I'm far from an expert) Ian Botham spent more time playing professionally for Somerset than any other club and he absolutely did play for Lincoln City before moving to Scunthorpe (both Lincolnshire teams) though the distinction re being captain of a England cricket team, a first class County cricket team and a league club at the same time may well have referred his time at Scunthorpe. But he was at Lincoln City, in fact before he went to Scunthorpe. Again, I did say it was a vague memory.

Actually I might be wrong after all. Read something about him having played 17 times but that may have been Yeovil. I blame my age. Memory glitch.

I used to have favourite figures rather than teams. My Barcelona/Spain affinity ultimately came down to Iniesta, Xavi and Messi. After 2016 or so, the interest was all-but gone. 

I still watch City at times because of Pep. Otherwise, I’d rarely bother.

Now I’m generally all about Underdog FC.

It’s weird, but when I watch a football match these days not involving Derby, I almost always root for the underdog.

The Swiss beating France at the Euros was magnificent. 

Aside from that, I enjoyed Brentford getting promoted after years of building. Felt like a win for football. Hope they and Norwich do well next year.

Bangor FC

The mighty Seasiders from Bangor, Northern Ireland. Both my parents grew up there before they moved to Derby after marrying.

You can see the pitch from the garden at my granny’s house, I spent holidays watching matches from afar.

I always follow their progress, & when I get chance to visit I make time to either watch a match & hopefully pick up a shirt.

Mine has to be Whitby Town (of all clubs!)

My parents emigrated to North Yorkshire from Derby while I was serving in the Army and stationed overseas.  I came "home" to Whitby only to be dragged down to Wembley for the FA Vase final and was instantly granted my new nickname of "Sheepy" on account of my Rams connection.

Always well worth a visit to the Turnbull Ground if you're in the vicinity - the football isn't always great but the chippy in the ground is lovely and the ground is just off the cliff road!

T2.JPG

Turnbull.jpg

I do always back Chellaston. Id have a conflict if they came up the football league world but odds seem pretty slim.

Also..

This isn't as bad for me to declare as someone already did the same before me but Leeds.

Was refreshing to see them taking on the big 6 without fear, pretty high octane tempo aswell.

Never had a second team in fifty odd years following Derby so I thought for a bit of relief from the obvious it was about time I  had one, Last week the young lad I work with told me he'd ordered a football shirt from a site that sends you a random shirt ,well after teasing him for days that it was bound to be the dogs or Man U he came in monday a proud owner of ,in his words,a well smart Chiezo Verona away shirt. So seeing as the only place in Italy I've been is Verona we decided to adopt them for a season. Knowing very little apart from the obvious about Italian football i thought I'd better google them,Seems the flying donkeys as their known ,after numerous appeals,have been demoted to serie D for financial irregularities and non payment of tax.You couldn't make it up

7 minutes ago, JJs dms said:

Never had a second team in fifty odd years following Derby so I thought for a bit of relief from the obvious it was about time I  had one, Last week the young lad I work with told me he'd ordered a football shirt from a site that sends you a random shirt ,well after teasing him for days that it was bound to be the dogs or Man U he came in monday a proud owner of ,in his words,a well smart Chiezo Verona away shirt. So seeing as the only place in Italy I've been is Verona we decided to adopt them for a season. Knowing very little apart from the obvious about Italian football i thought I'd better google them,Seems the flying donkeys as their known ,after numerous appeals,have been demoted to serie D for financial irregularities and non payment of tax.You couldn't make it up

A season with Verona is a great football book following the Ultras of the other Verona team Hellas Verona. Interestingly Chiezo is hardly mentioned you would not know there were two teams in Verona until well into the book.

My second team is Yeovil seen quite regularly home and away since meeting a now friend and Yeovil fanatic when camping 20 years ago. Had the strange experience of being in the away corner when they played at Derby in their one season in the championship! A night of very mixed emotions as by the end I was relieved Derby had won but also felt my friends pain, especially as he had come up by coach a long away trip for an evening game. One away game at Nuneaton a couple of supporters played the Worzels I’ve got a brand new combine harvester non stop on a ghetto blaster! Another club recently blighted by mismanagement!