Mighty Rams are number 1, who are your number 2?

Jimbo Ram

Liverpool, then Everton.

Three years at University there (84-87) cemented my love of the city and its people, and it has not diminished, far from it.

They always played good football and Keegan, then Dalgleish were wonderful to watch.  That Everton side of 85 was very special too. First visit to Goodison was a 5-0 thrashing of Manure - that helped.

Even in the seventies when they were our rivals I couldn't bring myself to dislike them. I was bought a Birmingham City strip for Christmas 1970 and even this five year old asked his Dad to take it back and get me a DCFC one - They didn't have one, so I had an all red Liverpool one instead.   

I suppose it also has a lot to do with my abject hatred of Manure. This clealry goes back to April 76 but I think it was even before then if I'm honest. Despite living close, I detest most things Mancunian - their winey voices, their self entitlement and superiority complexes masquerading as community spirit, epithomised by those abhorrent Gallagher folk. 

Putting this in perspective, if the Rams were playing a midweek third division game and I'd a choice of a Cup Winners Cup game at Goodison or a Champions League game at Anfield, I'd still drive my clapped out vauxhall Viva down to the BBG. Three Derby fans all in the same Halls of Residence (yes, you guessed it, Derby Hall!) often shared a hire car (£30 incl damage waiver even for students - how cheap was that?) to allow two of us to get pished. 

got a soft spot for sunderland. guy i know through work does a fan podcast on them and started listening to that. somehow its interesting listening to another clubs woes when it doesnt mean that much to you. then the amazon documentary showed me that we have a lot in common with them. oh and also raich carter. 

Obviously Derby first and very much foremost. 

Berwick Rangers (holidays as a kid and a distant relative lived up there, oh and the scotch pies are epic) 

Burton Albion. Followed them before Cloughie as I had friends in Burton but got more involved as the club story evolved they have done amazingly well.

Leicester city. Yeah I know. But I live there and the lads I play with are big fans so I watch the games with them always with some Derby merch on (current favourite an old pin badge from the 80’s) and besides 2015. What a story. 

I think I always find a team to prefer when I’m watching a game and it’s transient. Take a team like Arsenal, loved watching the team of Pires, Henry, Viera etc. Now rubbish. Newcastle of the 90’s with Albert, Asprilla etc. 
I think I just love watching football. However much I did enjoy watching Leeds at times last season it still makes me feel a bit wrong though. Oh and I’ve never enjoyed a forest team, somehow that is so ingrained I don’t even look at the games if they are on. 

Since emigrating to East Kent i've been going to Dover Athletic to get my Saturday afternoon football fix so i now have a second team - never had one before. Considering the mess that they're in with their league as well does make me wonder if I'm a jinx

Look out for results of Liverpool (Dad) and Man City (Brother)

But all three of us agree on Motherwell as our Scottish club

Also look out for the results of Forest Green and Cheltenham (Local)

But my real second sporting team is Gloucester Rugby

Always keep an eye on Watford although I have no official 2nd team - I'm just down the road from them and I grew up with two of my best mates' families being season ticket holders so got to go to quite a few games there.  Best memory was Watford v Derby Feb 1994, when Gabbiadini scored a thunderbolt winner to make it 4-3 to us.  I was literally the only person to leap out of their seat in the Vicarage Road stand celebrating.  Got yanked back down pretty quickly as everyone glared at me. ?

On 17/07/2021 at 11:59, David said:

My views are not dinosauristic! It’s nonsense, you have one team, it’s an unbreakable bond, no room for no second team to take over a piece of your heart.

Bloody half fans.

Depends a bit on your journey to team 1?

For many your dad/grandad took you with milk crate to stand on so you have known nothing else.

For me, my dad wasn’t into football at all so I was influenced by friends. I think the friends influence would not happen on average at age 5ish, for me it was 11/12ish. This coincides with the Arthur Cox Div2 promotion series.

Before that point I had general interest based on what was on match of the day and Coventry city only as I was born there.

Once I had been to a few live games I was hooked and Rams only after this point.

As more I went to live games the less I was interested in TV games. (2020/21 I saw about 3 matches only)

I was born 3 miles from Old Trafford, so could have had many years of glory. My Dad is a Liverpool fanatic and steered me away from Man ure.

When we moved to Burton, he took me to the BBG and that was it, I really miss the old stadium.

Wouldn’t swap the Rams for anything, despite the mental torture of the last few seasons.

Have watched Exeter City on occasions.