Mighty Rams are number 1, who are your number 2?

Jimbo Ram

40 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Pretty much that era, grew up roaming the streets of Swad, Gresley, Burton during the late 80s lol.

I went to the Gresley Rovers vs Guisley, Burton Albion vs Kidderminster and Derby vs Cremonese finals at Wembley all around that time - although I vaguely remember coming back from Uni for at least one of them.  Pity none of them ended up winning.  Infact the only time Derby have won at Wembley in my lifetime, I couldn't go lol - every other time I've have been, they have lost.  I'm not going to the next one...

Anyway, yeah I remember the match well, great day out and a thrilling football match.  Amazing what little Gresley Rovers achieved around that time.  I recall watching them play Burton Albion over Christmas one year as well at the old Eton Park.  Funny how both teams have progressed since then - although tbf Gresley were only ever a tiny, tiny club compared to Burton.

Bloody Burton used to keep stealing Gresley's best players of them... Tony Marsden & Christian Moore for two and I'm sure there were others that I can't recall the names of.

Gresley Rovers was never the same after Frank Northwood era for me, though I did enjoy the glory year under Paul Futcher where they would have been promoted for the Conference but for the standard of the Moat Ground. Unbelievable to think what they achieved now, glad I saw it though, proper football.

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Same. 

I used to keep half an eye out for Burton Albion and Gresley Rovers but since Rovers faded back into obscurity its getting more difficult to know whats going on.

Pre-covid I used to try to get to Rovers a couple of times a year - great memories of growing up in the area and going to games when I was to young/poor to go to the old BBG.

Played on Gresley Rovers pitch a time or two in my glorious career in the Burton Premier league.

I always look out for Lincoln City having lived there a number of times because of stepfather in RAF. Lived at Scampton, Waddington, Birchwood Est and on return from Singapore and Penang in Malaysia (67/68) went to Sincil Bank School for my last term at School before leaving (The Imps used to play at Sincil Bank. Probably still do). Their end used to be called the Clanford End or the Clan End (I think. not sure now) and of course claim to fame Ian Botham was I think their captain at the same time as captaining England and Somerset cricket teams, again, I think, vague memory of that being a common Pub quiz question. Odd the things that stick in your mind !

Edit - OK, Botham only person to captain a league club a county and the national cricket team, maybe it wasn't at the same time. Still an achievement though.

Edited by rufus
Make a correction

8 hours ago, zaragozaram said:

Are you not a Malagueño?

Real Zaragoza for me. 2nd division, skint and struggling. What´s not to like?

Noooo. I'm living near Valencia. Been to I think 3 games. Wanted to support Valencia, but the truth is that I just couldn't get excited enough. (I suppose it could be my age, that's what the wife says anyway)

22 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Watched them as a boy , played for them as a teen , watch them when Rams not playing , Borrowash Victoria

Went a couple of times there too as a child, my Dad had a work colleague who played for them... Steve Spooner.

My Dad took me to some glamourous football venues when I were a lad... Derby, Burton, Gresley, Stapenhill, Borrowash, Rocester, Il'son, Tamworth.... ?

8 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

Spurs.

I remember being able see players like Lineker, Gascoigne, Klinsmann, Hoddle, Waddle, Nayim etc at the BBG.

I even had the yellow Holsten Pills away shirt.

Always struck me as an entertaining club with exciting players over the years.

Me too. I go back to Greaves, Gilzean, Jones, White, MacKay, Brown, Baker, Blanchflower etc.

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I have no links with Derby but have supported the club for the last 51 years. My dad’s side of the family are from Southampton and are all massive Saints fans (been some memories of games v the Rams over the years, Saints alive it’s 5 when they beat us 5-0 in the League Cup when we were champions, we all went to the infamous game at the Dell when Mark Wright got pelted with coins and of course the play off penalty shoot out). So Saints are my second team, I also look out for Colchester United results, the town of my birth and finally I always look for the Plymouth result having grown up in Cornwall, some history there too. Who are your second team, whose results do you look out for and why?

Dcfc and only dcfc

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Alfreton Town was my first love, go to see them occasionally still but miss Derby's silky skills! 

Would rather watch the 23s, tbh.

I am from Alfreton originally, saw them a few times as a boy. John Harrison was the star player

Edited by StrawHillRam

9 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

My university halls were in South Woodford, so regularly passed through Leyton on the central line on my way to Mile End. Also saw Saints in the FA Cup at Orient in the 80s. In my final year of uni lived in a house in Upton Park, about 300 yards from the ground. Saw them quite a few times the year they came close to winning the title ??

Halls now demolished and replaced by flats. When I first went to London with work, I lived in Upton Park (Lonsdale Avenue) before moving a bit more upmarket to Woodford Green where I now live

1 hour ago, rufus said:

I always look out for Lincoln City having lived there a number of times because of stepfather in RAF. Lived at Scampton, Waddington, Birchwood Est and on return from Singapore and Penang in Malaysia (67/68) went to Sincil Bank School for my last term at School before leaving (The Imps used to play at Sincil Bank. Probably still do). Their end used to be called the Clanford End or the Clan End (I think. not sure now) and of course claim to fame Ian Botham was I think their captain at the same time as captaining England and Somerset cricket teams, again, I think, vague memory of that being a common Pub quiz question. Odd the things that stick in your mind !

Edit - OK, Botham only person to captain a league club a county and the national cricket team, maybe it wasn't at the same time. Still an achievement though.

Ian Botham played for Scunthorpe and Yeovil not Lincoln 

12 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Halls now demolished and replaced by flats. When I first went to London with work, I lived in Upton Park (Lonsdale Avenue) before moving a bit more upmarket to Woodford Green where I now live

I think we have liaised on PM TT. Great days in the mid eighties living in Waghorn Road, just down fron Upton Park tube. Woodford Green, how the other half live eh ??