Jump to content

Mighty Rams are number 1, who are your number 2?


Recommended Posts

I have no links with Derby but have supported the club for the last 51 years. My dad’s side of the family are from Southampton and are all massive Saints fans (been some memories of games v the Rams over the years, Saints alive it’s 5 when they beat us 5-0 in the League Cup when we were champions, we all went to the infamous game at the Dell when Mark Wright got pelted with coins and of course the play off penalty shoot out). So Saints are my second team, I also look out for Colchester United results, the town of my birth and finally I always look for the Plymouth result having grown up in Cornwall, some history there too. Who are your second team, whose results do you look out for and why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I have no links with Derby but have supported the club for the last 51 years. My dad’s side of the family are from Southampton and are all massive Saints fans (been some memories of games v the Rams over the years, Saints alive it’s 5 when they beat us 5-0 in the League Cup when we were champions, we all went to the infamous game at the Dell when Mark Wright got pelted with coins and of course the play off penalty shoot out). So Saints are my second team, I also look out for Colchester United results, the town of my birth and finally I always look for the Plymouth result having grown up in Cornwall, some history there too. Who are your second team, whose results do you look out for and why?

AFC Wimbledon. Born out of one of the biggest injustices in football in 2002 which galvanised a bunch of fans to stick two fingers up at the FA. We think we're going rough times now, imagine being in their position then.

They were told by the FA when their club was stolen from them that setting up a phoenix/new club was 'not in the wider interests of football' just to rub more salt in the wound. Started in the Combined Counties League anyway & 9 years later, made the Football League. They've now been an established League One side for 5 years, moved back to their own new stadium at Plough Lane & are a shining example of the power of fans to affect change.

Been to see them loads (incld when they were still non-league/playoff finals/relegation deciders) & own some tops. Will always be a Ram & when the sides meet, will want Derby to win but got all the time in the world for Wimbledon.

Edited by LeedsCityRam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Born within earshot of the BBG in Abingdon Street, so always a Rams fan. Second and third teams are the ones nearest where I now live in NE London. Orient are a great family club and just 3 tube stops away. Their supporters club bar regularly wins CAMRA awards. Next, and one tube stop further away, is West Ham where I became a STH 4 years ago, mainly because of the over 65s price which has now gone up to £160!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Born within earshot of the BBG in Abingdon Street, so always a Rams fan. Second and third teams are the ones nearest where I now live in NE London. Orient are a great family club and just 3 tube stops away. Their supporters club bar regularly wins CAMRA awards. Next, and one tube stop further away, is West Ham where I became a STH 4 years ago, mainly because of the over 65s price which has now gone up to £160!

My university halls were in South Woodford, so regularly passed through Leyton on the central line on my way to Mile End. Also saw Saints in the FA Cup at Orient in the 80s. In my final year of uni lived in a house in Upton Park, about 300 yards from the ground. Saw them quite a few times the year they came close to winning the title 👍😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody really although I do have a moderate interest in Tamworth (for obvious reasons) but they generally make Derby’s achievements look good. I look out for Barnsley’s results (my wife’s home town) and Walsall because I lived in the area until I was 15. I actually lived between Walsall and West Brom but have no real interest in the Baggies probably because they’re my older brothers team and are often in the same league as Derby whereas Walsall rarely are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

My local team Union Berlin.

They look a fun team to support from footage I've seen of their fans. Do you go often? Went to Berlin 4 years ago & saw Hertha (v Gladbach)...magnificient stadium, probably 50k there & plenty of ultras/noise but still felt a bit too detached.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Nobody really although I do have a moderate interest in Tamworth (for obvious reasons) but they generally make Derby’s achievements look good. I look out for Barnsley’s results (my wife’s home town) and Walsall because I lived in the area until I was 15. I actually lived between Walsall and West Brom but have no real interest in the Baggies probably because they’re my older brothers team and are often in the same league as Derby whereas Walsall rarely are.

Always the season after next Tamworth 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I first moved out here I was often asked for my second team (few had heard of Derby County, bunch of heathens). My reply was always Derby reserves (it was 24 years ago). "Ok, your third team?", "Derby under 21s!". "Fourth team?", "Derby youth". "Fifth team?" (getting a bit taken aback). After some thought "Derby ladies". "And sixth?". "Sorry, are there more teams available?".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.