Martyn Waghorn - gone to Coventry City

Heisenberg

Wish him the best of luck. Decent enough player for us, hampered by a larger price tag, but that wasn't really his fault.

Missed a lot of chances, scored a few important goals. Always seemed to try his best and actually cared, although some of his decision making, especially at this stage of his career, will always puzzle me.

I'd imagine he'll still have a considerable involvement with DCFC if his son Ruben is to remain in our academy.

Apart from the final game he was pretty poor this season just gone. But as others have said he is a genuine enough fella and so all the best to him. I reckon he will have a better season this time around. Shame it’s not with us. There are definitely better out there but with our budget and recruiting regime it remains to be seen if we can locate them. 

Waggy had a great worth ethic but in any other pre-season I wouldn't be overly bothered he was leaving. Not that he was any different to any other player last season but I'm not convinced he earned a new contract. He was outstanding against Wednesday but cost us points with his red card in another (forgotten who against). 

He played better out wide than down the middle and I'd rather have genuine wide players beating players and getting crosses in.

Im disappointed it's ended this way but I'd rather take a gamble on another striker from a lower league (if we can bring someone in!).

Sad to see him go, loved his commitment & presence. That said, his output last season was pretty ordinary & probably a good time to part ways given his likely wage demands.

Will never forget his contribution last day of the season though, different class. All the best Waggy & look forward to giving you a big cheer next time you're at PP

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Even more good news! #COYR

I know he wasn't Martin but but he scored us a lot of goals Roy so,in the present circumstances,I'd of been glad to keep him on this season....i really don't think we can afford to get anyone in who's any better at the minute and we definitely need another striker in to supplement ckr.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Never a story I'd posted before... But one none the less. When we got tanked against Rotherham back in Feb saw him at a bank in Derby. Heard someone ask him what happened against Rotherham, he told them that Rooney had them playing a formation that they had no idea how to play and no players knew their role. Hearing a player say that, no ownership for being s*#t that day and all the blame on the manager. 

Not the kind of footballer we need at the club. 

6 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Never a story I'd posted before... But one none the less. When we got tanked against Rotherham back in Feb saw him at a bank in Derby. Heard someone ask him what happened against Rotherham, he told them that Rooney had them playing a formation that they had no idea how to play and no players knew their role. Hearing a player say that, no ownership for being s*#t that day and all the blame on the manager. 

Maybe is was just being truthful ?

Good luck Waggy, you probably reserved your best performance for the last game which is probably a good way to leave it. Overall not too worried to lose him though, assuming that todays announcement from the EFL allows us to actively seek a replacement. Would rather keep Davies and Wisdom if it was a case that one had to leave.

28 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I know he wasn't Martin but but he scored us a lot of goals Roy so, in the present circumstances, I'd of been glad to keep him on this season....i really don't think we can afford to get anyone in who's any better at the minute and we definitely need another striker in to supplement ckr.

He scored 5 from 32 appearances last season. He only got his arse in gear after Rooney tore a strip off him - he then got injured!

In the present circumstances (I posted after the EFL decision) he can happily take two years at Coventry. I'm sure I'd rather Duncan or Stretton take his place.

Fans have been calling for a total clear out for years and now we have one.

The group of players we have had for the past 3-4 years have never clicked and produced a string of poor, stuttering performances. It has been so frustrating to watch.

We can only hope the new group of players we have by the first game of the season perform as a unit and give us something (anything) to cheer about.

Best of luck Waggy, you were always hampered by the pricetag but your final performance in a Rams shirt has probably repaid it.

36 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

He was just being honest - if they were playing a formation they didn’t know how to play that’s on the manager. Who in my view is utterly clueless.