Martyn Waghorn - gone to Coventry City

Heisenberg

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Good luck to both of he goes there. Shows we're still in pot-pee situation regarding player contracts.

It could also be down to them guaranteeing him more football? 

Pretty much a guaranteed starter in their front 2, whereas he'd be backup winger, and hopefully 2nd choice CF at best for us next season

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pretty much a guaranteed starter in their front 2, whereas he'd be backup winger, and hopefully 2nd choice CF at best for us next season

Could also be length and incentives are better from Cov, and it could be we've not actually tabled any offer to him beyond "we'd love if you'd stay and take a massive pay cut" type chats.

58 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Think you may be clutching a bit there.  The majority of League 1 sides will have more competitive squads than us next season.  I'm hoping we're not playing them.

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think you may be clutching a bit there.  The majority of League 1 sides will have more competitive squads than us next season.  I'm hoping we're not playing them.

And I feel for those players still contracted with us. Jozwiak, Bielik, Sibley and Knight all deserve way better than to be playing in a team scraping the bottom of the championship. 

I suspect the transfer requests will start going in come the end of July/August if we don't start brining in some quality.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Waghorn leaving would be, for me, a huge indicator of just how bad things are with the club and just how far away a takeover and any good news is. 

I said the same when Martin left last season, it's just a bad sign.

If Waghorn leaves I can honestly see Rooney following him rather quickly.

Except unlike Martin, last season Waghorn had been pants bar a few minutes here and there, and the last game of the season.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Doesn't play on the wing over Jozwiak or Lawrence. Couldn't get a start over Kazim. What makes you think it would change next season if he stayed?

39 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Waghorn leaving would be, for me, a huge indicator of just how bad things are with the club and just how far away a takeover and any good news is. 

I said the same when Martin left last season, it's just a bad sign.

If Waghorn leaves I can honestly see Rooney following him rather quickly.

?

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Doesn't play on the wing over Jozwiak or Lawrence. Couldn't get a start over Kazim. What makes you think it would change next season if he stayed?

Because at the minute we only have 14 players including a long term injury, two that looked every inch there age in the last 10 games of the season - One being Kazim Richards, two are goalies and one didn't kick a ball all season bar 3 minutes at Birmingham. He'll definitely get games if he stays, whether that's a good thing is another matter. 

47 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Because at the minute we only have 14 players including a long term injury, two that looked every inch there age in the last 10 games of the season - One being Kazim Richards, two are goalies and one didn't kick a ball all season bar 3 minutes at Birmingham. He'll definitely get games if he stays, whether that's a good thing is another matter. 

Games, yes, but not as a regular starter. He'd be guaranteed more gametime at Coventry despite our lack of depth

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Games, yes, but not as a regular starter. He'd be guaranteed more gametime at Coventry despite our lack of depth

I'm not convinced that's right.  We are at below bare bones.  I think we'll have every player filling in everywhere as it stands.  I also can't see us keeping any player with a sale value if we aren't sold by the middle of July.  They'll be moved on to help cover wages, bring in some loans and reduce top end wages remaining. Given the option of better I wouldn't be arsed if he goes but our options for better aren't promising.  We've already had one player looking at Hull (not renowned for paying wages to match that my in this league) or Peterborough rather than renew. I thought it was bad when we were losing players to Huddersfield and Watford.

All opinions

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not convinced that's right.  We are at below bare bones.  I think we'll have every player filling in everywhere as it stands.  I also can't see us keeping any player with a sale value if we aren't sold by the middle of July.  They'll be moved on to help cover wages, bring in some loans and reduce top end wages remaining. Given the option of better I wouldn't be arsed if he goes but our options for better aren't promising.  We've already had one player looking at Hull (not renowned for paying wages to match that my in this league) or Peterborough rather than renew. I thought it was bad when we were losing players to Huddersfield and Watford.

All opinions

To cover wages? We probably have the smallest wage bill in the league right now

Marriott's deal originally was extended only to be revoked by the EFL. He didn't choose not to extend because wages were late in December ?

Watford were/are a PL side

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To cover wages? We probably have the smallest wage bill in the league right now

Marriott's deal originally was extended only to be revoked by the EFL. He didn't choose not to extend because wages were late in December ?

Watford were/are a PL side

When you’ve got an owner who’s gone on record to categorically state he doesn’t want to pay the wage bill anymore it’s always going to be too big. 

If Waghorn's wages will give us a bit of wriggle room to bring in a more effective player then I'm fine with him leaving. Yes he can have good games as per the last game of the season, but he has far too many anonymous games where he can't pass the ball 5 yards. To get us back on an even keel we need players who consistently get 6 out of ten, not one who occassionally gets an 8, but far more often delivers a 4.....

Just now, Taribo said:

Absolute pants I agree, but currently absolute pants is better than the alternative of nobody nopants

I'd rather save the money and give Duncan a go - he looked to be able to run around in a Waghorn-like manner!