Relegation watch

Spanish

3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

So true. This is one of worst aspects of how things have been run over the last few years - Derby have gone from a plucky team who played great football to win League twice, had the fun Jim Smith years etc to a team many football fans cant stand. You really notice this change in attitude living away from Derby

I can’t stand us either at the minute!

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We're going down, and we deserve it. If we're honest, we've been absolutely dreadful. In a huge amount of our games we've barely put up a fight and just rolled over. If I felt the players had given everything and we'd just been out matched, I'd be more okay with it. I still feel we could have given so much more all season. 

Derby county really shouldn't be one of the 3 worst teams in the championship, but we have been. It's been shocking from top to bottom. If you get Derby anywhere near League one then you've ultimately failed. Mel has failed. Rooney has failed. The players have failed. It's a complete and utter disgrace.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

1 win will keep us up.

Potentially even 1 point will keep us up!

These are all of the games we've failed to even pick even 1 point up in under Rooney, 10 of them are defeats by a single goal.

A single goal from a properly utilised attack / attacking midfield could end up being the difference between us staying up or ending up in League one. Knight & Sibley have contributed 3 goals between them all season, for players who showed such promise last season it's shockingly poor.

Derby            0 - 1       Preston
Sheff Wed    1 -       Derby
Derby            0 - 1       Rotherham
Rotherham    3 - 0    Derby
Watford         2 - 1     Derby    
Cardiff          4 - 0     Derby
Coventry       1 - 0     Derby
Derby            0 - 1      Millwall
Stoke              1 - 0     Derby
Reading         3 - 1     Derby
Derby            0 - 1     Norwich
Blackburn     2 - 1     Derby
Preston          3 - 0     Derby
Derby            1 - 2      Birmingham

Edited by Coconut

23 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Potentially even 1 point will keep us up!

These are all of the games we've failed to even pick even 1 point up in under Rooney, 10 of them are defeats by a single goal.

A single goal from a properly utilised attack / attacking midfield could end up being the difference between us staying up or ending up in League one. Knight & Sibley have contributed 3 goals between them all season, for players who showed such promise last season it's shockingly poor.

Derby            0 - 1       Preston
Sheff Wed    1 -       Derby
Derby            0 - 1       Rotherham
Rotherham    3 - 0    Derby
Watford         2 - 1     Derby    
Cardiff          4 - 0     Derby
Coventry       1 - 0     Derby
Derby            0 - 1      Millwall
Stoke              1 - 0     Derby
Reading         3 - 1     Derby
Derby            0 - 1     Norwich
Blackburn     2 - 1     Derby
Preston          3 - 0     Derby
Derby            1 - 2      Birmingham

Look at the Sheffield Wednesday and the Rotherham results.

We were all over Wednesday after beating Birmingham 4-0. If we got that first goal we’d like have gone on to win as SWFC crumble even more than we do, so they’d be down. Rotherham then beat us with a goal within the last 5 minutes or so, even if we held on, it pretty much keeps us up too.

On the flip side, if you remove our “unlikely” points such as wins vs Swansea, Norwich & Bournemouth, the point against Brentford etc. then we’d have been buried a while ago.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

We were all over Wednesday after beating Birmingham 4-0. If we got that first goal we’d like have gone on to win as SWFC crumble even more than we do, so they’d be down. Rotherham then beat us with a goal within the last 5 minutes or so, even if we held on, it pretty much keeps us up too.

On the flip side, if you remove our “unlikely” points such as wins vs Swansea, Norwich & Bournemouth, the point against Brentford etc. then we’d have been buried a while ago.

You get what you deserve in the end. If we deserve to stay up, we'll get the points required. If we don't, we will go down. It's that simple.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

You get what you deserve in the end. If we deserve to stay up, we'll get the points required. If we don't, we will go down. It's that simple.

I think we’ve been well below par for the majority of the season to say the least, and staying up would be incredibly lucky.

We’ve won what? 11 games this season? We went through our spell of 6 wins in 8, so that means in the other 36 games so far we’ve won 5 times. It simply is not good enough no matter where we finish.

23 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Yeah, fine margins. At times it's because we've lacked quality at vital moments, at times it's because we've set up wrong and only started trying to attack once already behind, giving the opposition chance to just get everyone behind the ball and hit us on the counter.

Waghorn getting sent off against Preston didn't help, although (despite the recent result) I still think Preston were there for the taking, and that they were pretty crap thsemelves in the 2 earlier matches against them.

The unlikely point against Brentford just serves to remind me of how Sibley's been mishandled - the fear of him giving away some free kicks and picking up a few cards vs the threat of him scoring a few goals if played centrally is a difficult balance to get right, but we've totally bloody fudged it IMO and ended up with the worst of both worlds.

That Brentford game showed me what we could do! It gave me a glimpse of what another manager might have seen from the off had he not been someone complicit in our failures up until that point.

We don't need to have been massively, significantly better under Rooney than we have been, it's just a couple of goals here and there and we'd be sitting here feeling a lot more relaxed about the whole thing.

I refuse to believe that 32 goals is the most anyone could have got from us.

Edited by Coconut

13 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think we’ve been well below par for the majority of the season to say the least, and staying up would be incredibly lucky.

We’ve won what? 11 games this season? We went through our spell of 6 wins in 8, so that means in the other 36 games so far we’ve won 5 times. It simply is not good enough no matter where we finish.

It's true, we are bloody awful. The thing is, of the teams that are down there with us, 1 has had a points deduction and the other 2 have just come up from League one. We are a total embarrassment.

It's got so desperate that i'm praying that Swansea don't lose at Reading today, then they will be safe in the play offs and may rest some players against us next week. If Reading win, they can still catch Swansea and we are toast.

Even if Swansea are safe, I don't know if we have the determination or fight to win there next week, but win we must. 

That's the only way that the Sheff Weds game will be anything other than a winner takes all game. Sheff Weds are at home to Forest next week so step this way, here's 3 point for Wednesday.

Edited by SamUltraRam

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

It's got so desperate that i'm praying that Swansea don't lose at Reading today, then they will be safe in the play offs and may rest some players against us next week. If Reading win, they can still catch Swansea and we are toast.

Even if Swansea are safe, I don't know if we have the determination or fight to win there next week, but win we must. 

That's the only way that the Sheff Weds game will be anything other than a winner takes all game. Sheff Weds are at home to Forest next week so step this way, here's 3 point for Wednesday.

Trouble is, even if they win and rest players, the ones who come in will be desperate to make their mark. 

There are no easy games in this division except, at the moment, us. 

If we do stay up it'll be by the skin of our teeth.  I'm half-expecting that next season we'll be visiting my wife's team in League One, but there's a little bit of me that's still hopeful we can stay up.  But no matter what happens, there need to be some major changes at Pride Park.  The squad needs refreshing in a big way, because this season there have been too many occasions where the passion and pride in the shirt have been severely lacking.  Rooney is in over his head as a manager at this level and needs to go, and we need certainty and stability with regards to the off-pitch financial dealings.  If we also get a points deduction, then I'd expect at least two full seasons stuck in League One before we come back up (one suffering from the deduction and then hopefully spring back up at the end of season 2).

2 minutes ago, SFD1968 said:

If we do stay up it'll be by the skin of our teeth.  I'm half-expecting that next season we'll be visiting my wife's team in League One, but there's a little bit of me that's still hopeful we can stay up.  But no matter what happens, there need to be some major changes at Pride Park.  The squad needs refreshing in a big way, because this season there have been too many occasions where the passion and pride in the shirt have been severely lacking.  Rooney is in over his head as a manager at this level and needs to go, and we need certainty and stability with regards to the off-pitch financial dealings.  If we also get a points deduction, then I'd expect at least two full seasons stuck in League One before we come back up (one suffering from the deduction and then hopefully spring back up at the end of season 2).

Crikey, if we face a points deduction before we even start next season it will be a case of ensuring we stay up...

10 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

It's true, we are bloody awful. The thing is, of the teams that are down there with us, 1 has had a points deduction and the other 2 have just come up from League one. We are a total embarrassment.

It’s weird old season.

Forest, should have made the play offs last season but have flirted with the relegation battle for good parts of the season.

Barnsley, only avoided relegation last year on the last day of the season and would have been relegated if Wigan hadn’t had a points deduction, now they’re heading for a play off place. I wonder how long they’ll hold on to their new manager and wonder if he’d fancy the delights of Derbyshire over South Yorkshire ?