Relegation watch

Spanish

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Depends on whether they hope to finish 3rd or 4th with the supposed advantage of playing the second leg at home.

Not sure where they end up makes much difference the way the table looks.  More important is to enter the payoffs fit and with a full squad.  

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Not sure where they end up makes much difference the way the table looks.  More important is to enter the payoffs fit and with a full squad.  

Sorry. I’m not sure I understand your point “the way the table looks”. Third or fourth is still there to play for and I think most clubs would rather play the home leg last although it might not make so much difference this year with no fans. As you say, they will need to balance going for it against the risk of injury to key players. 

They’ll probably think, as it’s only Derby, they could rest key players and still go for it (with justification).

2 hours ago, sage said:

Swansea just drew with Reading so are safely in the play off slots. Hopefully they will rest a couple of players. 

I’m hoping they’ve learned from the lesson we would’ve taught the league a few seasons again. Not worth having one of your best players duck their knee up in a nothing game.

see, that seemed like a crazy decision at the time, and maybe cost us winning the play offs, it all these years later, it’s what will persuade Swansea to not play their best players, ensuring we get a draw, and avoid relegation. It all comes around, it was all meant to be. 

basically, George Thorne gets player of the season this year. 

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

So Rooney just wasn't looking when they made a double substitution? He had a lot of time to react. What's to stop Swansea just doing the same thing?

Hopefully because they're already top 6 they will just see this game as preparation and play there usual way.

Why don't we just say before the game we're going to rough them up and try and scare them into resting players?? 

Doesn't matter. Whatever way they try to play, Rooney will just try to "match" them. This means we will inevitably lose the game. How does he honestly expect to beat teams by trying to outplay them at their own game they've been using all season. With tactics like this, all we can hope for is Rotherham keep losing.?

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Sorry. I’m not sure I understand your point “the way the table looks”. Third or fourth is still there to play for and I think most clubs would rather play the home leg last although it might not make so much difference this year with no fans. As you say, they will need to balance going for it against the risk of injury to key players. 

They’ll probably think, as it’s only Derby, they could rest key players and still go for it (with justification).

Fans will be allowed in the playoffs as they start on May 17th up to a quarter of capacity 

1 point separates 3rd from 6th.  Too much uncertainty over how the results work out.  Bust a gut for a home tie?

19 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Doesn't matter. Whatever way they try to play, Rooney will just try to "match" them. This means we will inevitably lose the game. How does he honestly expect to beat teams by trying to outplay them at their own game they've been using all season. With tactics like this, all we can hope for is Rotherham keep losing.?

I think Wazza has a very negative outlook, contain and stop the opposition is the clear, number 1 priority....not moved on yet to attacking the opposition and actually trying to win the game. Recipe for disaster as we aren’t good enough to just contain better teams. That is my fear at Swansea....

37 minutes ago, Spanish said:

1 point separates 3rd from 6th.  Too much uncertainty over how the results work out.  Bust a gut for a home tie?

They might not want to bust a gut but they might want to give it go rather than resign themselves to 5th or 6th given how close it is.

I don’t think they’ll need to bust a gut to make it difficult for us. We’re quite capable of doing that ourselves.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

They might not want to bust a gut but they might want to give it go rather than resign themselves to 5th or 6th given how close it is.

I could see them playing at 80-90% commitment, which might be done by a less team who are playing 100% with despiration. However we've been giving it 60-70% (at nil nil or leading) dropping to about 30% when we go behind.

38 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think Wazza has a very negative outlook, contain and stop the opposition is the clear, number 1 priority....not moved on yet to attacking the opposition and actually trying to win the game. Recipe for disaster as we aren’t good enough to just contain better teams. That is my fear at Swansea....

could understand that kind of approach if he'd just got the job with maybe 5-10 games to go, but he's been here about 35 games now. Setting up like this does not win football matches. 

Just now, Chris_Martin said:

could understand that kind of approach if he'd just got the job with maybe 5-10 games to go, but he's been here about 35 games now. Setting up like this does not win football matches. 

And so very difficult to watch. Obviously he has a poorer squad to work with but I can see why he doesn’t want Steve Macs input. Their footballing philosophies are exact opposites, chalk and cheese. Mac went out to attack teams and win games, make them worry about us approach...

I don’t think they’ll need to bust a gut to make it difficult for us. We’re quite capable of doing that ourselves.

better than them needing points to get into the top 6