EFL appeal

Sith Happens

I think it will be next season. Nixon alluded to that too but the question is whether it's a fine or points reduction.

Always be careful with the Daily Mail. It's obvious the EFL idiots have won the appeal (Percy and Nixon are writing it) but the Daily Mail reporting is garbage, terrible with detail.

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The Wycombe Chairman threatening legal action means they won’t stay up and Derby will stay up. 

He has been told something I suspect 

Too me that would suggest that they know we’ve been found guilty but no points deduction this season and that’s why they aren’t happy the same with what Paul Warne said 

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Yes you would imagine lawyers could have an absolute field day from a competition perspective even before anything else

One thing to point out is that Percy, who is a lot closer to the situation, does not mention a points deduction in his tweet.

Some reporters are getting excited for the free clicks, if they are wrong and it’s ends up being a fine then it’s only the EFL who end up being wrong which means more clicks again. Basically the reporters get to whip this up and set the story which is as wrong as anything else happening right now 

Time is very tight here, isn't it.

ASSUMING the appeal verdict has been made in the EFL's favour then the next step is a Disciplinary Panel to decide on the punishment, the outcome of which can be appealed by the Club. Given that the EFL divisions are constituted for the new season at the AGM, there would have to be the disciplinary panel convened; it's decision made, a period of time for consideration of an appeal, the hearing of any appeal and the outcome made, all in about four weeks.

As it's taken about two years to get to this stage, that will require a considerable acceleration in activity!

2 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Steve Nicholson quoted as saying on DET ‘ it is my understanding all along that dcfc won’t be deducted any points if we lose the appeal ‘ I suppose we will see. ?‍♂️

I was thinking this. I thought I had read after the initial trial when we were found not guilty over the stadium sale and the amortisation policy, if the appeal of the amortisation policy, we couldn't be deducted points, but we may have to re-submit our accounts?

10 minutes ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

Just thinking ballpark, I'm trying to understand how much added benefit it gave us. So if it says an extra £7mill in player values. Over lineal or depreciating scale, with the stadium sale, would that still keep us in the clear?

I picked this quote up sometime ago

The amortisation charge as a proportion of the average cost of players
at the start and end of the year for 2016/17 shows Derby County on 11% at one end of the table and Barnsley at the other on 63%. A low figure means that amortisation is only a small fraction of the cost of the players and therefore has a relatively smaller impact on profits and losses. Derby County have by far the lowest amortisation percentage in the division for 2016/17.

Interesting article but noit sure about some of the quotes

https://www.pqmagazine.com/the-true-price-of-ootball/

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Surely it will be a fine and a warning that we have to change our accounting procedures. Be surprised with a points deduction....

Exactly this Derby even said in a statement when we won and they were appealing if efl won it couldn’t be a points deduction. Is this final because if not I expect Derby will appeal 

20 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It's like being given the death penalty in 2021 because it's been found that you farted in a lift in 1992, even though it only became illegal to fart in a lift in 2019.

Fast forward to 2025 and as of 1st January the laws against farting in lifts are relaxed and the offence only carries a £50 fine.

Unfortunately for you, you were given the lethal injection on 31st December 2024.

Excellent post! 

This shows not only the vindictiveness of the EFL but also its sheer stupidity. If they'd let it lie, that would have been that. By pursuing an appeal they now leave themselves open to be being sued on all sides depending on what they do and do not decide. It's an organization not fit for purpose and one that has lost touch with the Member clubs in whose interests it should have been acting, but that is palpably no longer the case (eg refusing to accept clubs can use the new Covid accounting rules put in place by the Government when all clubs are suffering massive Covid problems). I hope the Championship breaks away to form a Premier League 2.

Just now, Barney1991 said:

Exactly this Derby even said in a statement when we won and they were appealing if efl won it couldn’t be a points deduction. Is this final because if not I expect Derby will appeal 

I would be inclined to pay the fine and move on...we really don't want this holding up the takeover, appointment of the new Manager and his preparations for the squad for next season....we have been dogged by this....

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

This shows not only the vindictiveness of the EFL but also its sheer stupidity. If they'd let it lie, that would have been that. By pursuing an appeal they now leave themselves open to be being sued on all sides depending on what they do and do not decide. It's an organization not fit for purpose and one that has lost touch with the Member clubs in whose interests it should have been acting, but that is palpably no longer the case (eg refusing to accept clubs can use the new Covid accounting rules put in place by the Government when all clubs are suffering massive Covid problems). I hope the Championship breaks away to form a Premier League 2.

I don't think they had a choice really, too many clubs feel aggrieved mostly over the PP matter but they failed with that one.

23 minutes ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

Just thinking ballpark, I'm trying to understand how much added benefit it gave us. So if it says an extra £7mill in player values. Over lineal or depreciating scale, with the stadium sale, would that still keep us in the clear?

here's another thought provoking quote

Another figure that looked unusual was that of player amortisation,
which if you recall is the price of a transfer fee spread over the contract
life. Derby spent £51 million on players in 2016 and 2017 according to the accounts, yet the amortisation charge in 2017 was only £5.1 million. Until 2015, Derby’s accounting policy in respect of transfers was identical to that of all other clubs: