EFL appeal

Sith Happens

23 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The Wycombe Chairman threatening legal action means they won’t stay up and Derby will stay up. 

He has been told something I suspect 

They’ve got a bit of nerve considering they weren’t even in the championship when we we’re supposedly “cheating” 

stinks of desperation and trying to piggy back on the tabloids

22 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The Wycombe Chairman threatening legal action means they won’t stay up and Derby will stay up. 

He has been told something I suspect 

I suggest The Sun rang him up for quote. Something along the lines of ‘Will you be taking legal action if any points deduction for Derby is not applied this year” 

He said “er is that a thing”

Journo goes “probably’

Owner says “I have the lawyers look at it. Ta for letting me know.”

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I still find it utterly bewildering that:

The EFL signs off on the accounts originally
Circles back around saying we can't do that, takes us to investigation
Independent panel dismisses it
EFL appeal, different independent panel says it's naughty (apparently, unconfirmed).

Is any of this wrong?

Absolutely. Smacks of Kangaroo-court style approach ie we’ll screw you eventually so don’t bother trying to prove your innocence 

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

Over the last few years teams that have gone up QPR Leicester pretty sure didn’t Bournemouth also get fined all went up but were found guilty? All those went up over us so surely we’d argue we missed out due to that 

Wolves overspent too, on their way up. All these teams ended up with a fine.

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

here's another thought provoking quote

Another figure that looked unusual was that of player amortisation,
which if you recall is the price of a transfer fee spread over the contract
life. Derby spent £51 million on players in 2016 and 2017 according to the accounts, yet the amortisation charge in 2017 was only £5.1 million. Until 2015, Derby’s accounting policy in respect of transfers was identical to that of all other clubs:

I'm not sure you can just do some simple division and say that £5.1m figure is wrong.  The vast majority of the big name signings were on 4 year contracts (certainly Johnson, Butterfield, Anya, Vydra, Weimann, Ince were), so at most you'd expect ~£12.5m of amortization with a straight-line method.  You've also got to factor players leaving too.  I think Ince left in 2017 for a profit, so there would be no amortization recorded for him that year (assuming I'm understanding this right!).  It's not like we only did 10% of the values of players, which is what that quote is trying to lead you to think.

11 minutes ago, Coconut said:

...and only finished last season in the play-offs because of the points per game model.

I think before we judge Wycombe and their chairman, he's just been asked a question and said that we'll see what happens. I don't believe he's even said that he'll take legal action and has apparently denied that he's said as much.

Ultimately, it's the EFL that are at fault here for not having a reasonable and agreed timescale in place to deal with this. Original verdict in our favour was last summer and their appeal wasn't immediate, it took ages. Then the appeal itself , with no further evidence allowed, should have been concluded quickly

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

There’s a breach of accounting standards, possibly a breach of the EFL regs and the companies act, and the EFL most likely suspects the notes to the accounts were intentionally misleading. And you say ‘so what?’  
By the way, did the EFL really sign off on the amortisation policy (as you say)? Or did they sign off on the accounting treatment of the stadium sale? I thought it was the latter 

But we were charged with filling P&S. "Breach of acounting standards", "EFL regs" and misleading the EFL does not equate to failing P&S.

I envisage a fine for misleading the EFL and refusing to hand over details of the policy on request. There is absolutely no chance of a points deduction.

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Ultimately, it's the EFL that are at fault here for not having a reasonable and agreed timescale in place to deal with this. Original verdict in our favour was last summer and their appeal wasn't immediate, it took ages. Then the appeal itself , with no further evidence allowed, should have been concluded quickly

This is absolutely correct, how on earth can they take 8 months but all of a sudden it's magically sorted the day after we stop up??

It absolutely smacks of EFL wanting to penalise us in the most vindictive way possible.

Surely it's not legal to wait until after the season ends to then win thier appeal and decide to relegate us without giving us the opportunity to make those points back? Sheff Wed had the entire season to claw back those six points.

Might as well just let the EFL decide which clubs they want to promote or relegate without even playing if that's the case 

23 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Wolves overspent too, on their way up. All these teams ended up with a fine.

I had forgotten that Wolves broke the spending limits tbh

I thought it was just the spirit of the competition they broke when they created a closed market and tied the majority of their spending up in promotion bonuses.

It's probably not my fault that I forgot, after all there there hasn't been a continuous, 3 year long red top smear campaign against them & the other clubs for breaking the rules, no public outcry from fellow chairmen or snidey, bitter comments from opposition managers.

Edited by Coconut