EFL appeal

Sith Happens

There's been so many different people saying different things regarding this appeal. We had people say it could only be a fine at most, to a 21 point deduction. 

As far as I'm aware, the policy itself, can't give us any points deduction, but because of the policy, we'd have the file our accounts to the "normal way" which in turn would mean we breach FFP? Is that correct?

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

There's been so many different people saying different things regarding this appeal. We had people say it could only be a fine at most, to a 21 point deduction. 

As far as I'm aware, the policy itself, can't give us any points deduction, but because of the policy, we'd have the file our accounts to the "normal way" which in turn would mean we breach FFP? Is that correct?

I think that's right, but i could be wrong.

49 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

In the days post-Saturday, I find myself seeing more and more why Nick -  @therams69 - was urging us to pull our heads out of the sand.

Some are very firmly buried.

Listen (Keogh style) I believe so... There are questions out there that need answering to reaffirm our future as a football club. 

The statement yesterday was their opportunity, titled from the top yet no quotes or said CEO Stephen Pearce or Said Owner Mel Morris.... Why? Many focused on the fact we have heard something, I focus on the fact that it wasn't what we need to hear. We all know we have had a bad season, we do not need the obvious pointing out to us and of course they apologise for that. But this is not what its all about. Our manager will sort that mess out - its the Club as a whole that is the issue here. Swerving statements like this further bury some fans heads - not mine or many others that strongly want reassurance.

Everything that is against us right now is because of utter mis management at the top. Time and time again we are trying to cover our mistakes - a well highlighted trait amongst poorly ran clubs. I do not see 23 other Championship clubs having to deal with this.

And make no mistake should we get a points deduction or a huge fine or whatever, this further concerns me that our owner will just pull the plug and fire us into admin - of course this could be reassured by the statement confirming that he will back us no matter what! But this is not forthcoming and you have to ask why. The last we heard was 3 months ago, 3 months ago..........

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

For the gazillionth time, the actual charge being appealed relates to our amortisation policy, a policy that is a widely held accounting standard. The charge does not relate specifically to the methodology used and as such, this is not being contested, but rather to the fact that the way the practice was described in our annual report, 'could have been clearer'. 

Yep I and other do know that (albeit apparently not everyone)?

I have not read anywhere that the appeal is just on 2.5 but I have read it was on 2.   If you have that would be great news

This is where AS standards may clash with industry specific rules, the tribunal was very clear, as you imply, that our approach was compliant with standards

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"The sanction is still to be determined, but we are told that anything from a fine to a points deduction is possible, and that could be applied to the current season or the next campaign.

We are told that Derby - owned by Mel Morris - did not follow accepted practice by including the depreciation of player assets in their accounts. Sources say that removed losses in excess of £30million over a three-year period."

Unless I'm completely mis-understanding something, it can't have "removed losses", all it can have done is shunt them into different financial years. We were still amortising players values, just not in a straight line.

I’m almost certain that this appeal was just so the efl could fine us and tell us to fix our amortisation policy. I swear that when we first won the case back in summer last year it was stated and known that if the appeal was successful there could be no points deduction 

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Unless I'm completely mis-understanding something, it can't have "removed losses", all it can have done is shunt them into different financial years. We were still amortising players values, just not in a straight line.

...but if the figures aren't allowed to be shunted along, would they have to be squeezed together, with a loss previously attributed the say the very start of 2019/20 accounts being forced into the 2018/19 accounts - sending the 2018/19 account overspend (and any 3 year period they're included in) rocketing to a level beyond acceptable loss?

I don't even know what I just typed, head's gone fuzzy.

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Yep I and other do know that (albeit apparently not everyone)?

I have not read anywhere that the appeal is just on 2.5 but I have read it was on 2.   If you have that would be great news

This is where AS standards may clash with industry specific rules, the tribunal was very clear, as you imply, that our approach was compliant with standards

Pretty sure it's all cited on here buddy but in all honesty, there's been so many different conversations about this now spread across so many threads, I wouldn't know where to start. Based on what I've read, I see literally no precedent for a points deduction and I really do think that at a time where the EFL's stock is at an all-time low, they are simply sabre-rattling to appease a few angry, blowhard owners and directors. If they'd not appealed, the charges levied to EFL member clubs for what was a farcical tribunal would have hung heavily around their necks. Perpetuating the process just seems like a thinly-veiled attempt to retrospectively give the process some credibility. The whole thing is just embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

...but if the figures aren't allowed to be shunted along, would they have to be squeezed together, with a loss previously attributed the say the very start of 2019/20 accounts being forced into the 2018/19 accounts - sending the 2018/19 account overspend (and any 3 year period they're included in) rocketing to a level beyond acceptable loss?

Yeah, it's possible that a £30m loss that 'should' have occurred in a 3-year FFP window was moved outside of that window.  But that 'should' is doing a hell of a lot of work.  The tribunal report from the first hearing was crystal clear on the matter - the rules say absolutely nothing about how you amortize player values, only that it should be 'systematic'.  If it's true that we are using a system that's used by other prem clubs, and has been signed off by our accountants, HMRC etc, then I don't see they have a leg to stand on.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

not far off I would say.  Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but the PP sale enable us to get some of the amortisation out in a single year when on a straight line basis that may need to be written back to previous years increasing losses in those year breaching FFP and P&S.  If I'm wrong then I don't see what all this fuss has been about