Cauley Woodrow

2 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

May as well stick with Collins and  Brown as options no point paying out wages for players who arent great and will block a pathway for our academy players. Hes the typical kind of donkey we'd sign suprised we arent in for Connor Sammon as well hes big and strong and works hard too.

Moan moan moan 

If it started out as a competitive budget, now supplemented with £2.8m from sell-on clauses – the outlay on players is around £3m in transfer fees so far, including our AWOL keeper and Corey Taylor. Blackburn paid around £2.5m for Senegalese's Makhtar Gueye and £230,000 for Japan's Yuki Ohashi, both looked good incomings, both fit the MO we are short of, both would be within our unknown budget. It is achievable, not the Holy Grail implied. Surely our scouting/statistics team would have been better served going to games being played throughout our close season in the Swedish, Denmark and Norway leagues, over in Asia, America, Australia etc? One burly striker, two years to not find one –  have they thought about an advert on 'X'?

Oh hang on folks - if we sign him or not, he is a very good footballer who can play centre forward whilst not a thug he is someone who can control a football and play others in which we desperately need as he would give us some shape. His last two seasons have basically been getting promoted and being in the premiership from the bench because Luton had some very good forwards on the pitch achieving results. For our budget this is like Nigel Clough bringing in a Chris Martin type of player.

I would like the lad Taylor as well if it was possible 

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I really dont know what people are expecting....do you really think we are in a position to buy a atriker who has bagged goals for fun over the last couple of seasons? Look at the prices of Stansfield & Osula of examples of how alot of money doesnt get you a great deal.

Some people really have short memories & really need to stop judging strikers off just their recent scoring records. What else they bring to the team is just as important, like a CKR or Martin. Woodrow might not have scored loads recently, but if he had he would be nowhere near our radar.

How about judge them on what they do in a Rams shirt, he could be the missing piece to our attacking play that helps it all click.

I certainly wouldnt mind him joining us.

We do we have to buy from the domestic market? Yates is our reliable option with a recent proven record. Collins is our experienced and reliable backup. Take a chance on a couple of low cost forwards from abroad - Jovo Lukić (20 goal contributions last season) or Alex Tamm (72 goal contributions in the last 3 seasons) being examples I would go for.

Whilst not my first choice, Woodrow could offer us what we need in a competitive and over inflated market.

He’s had a tough couple of seasons at Luton but had a decent record overall. if PW can get a tune out of him then he could be good value.

Currently we have Yates when he is able to play and maybe Brown if PW thinks he’s developing well enough to get mins. Wash and Collins aren’t really going to provide much quality other than fresh legs for the final mins

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Oh hang on folks - if we sign him or not, he is a very good footballer who can play centre forward whilst not a thug he is someone who can control a football and play others in which we desperately need as he would give us some shape. His last two seasons have basically been getting promoted and being in the premiership from the bench because Luton had some very good forwards on the pitch achieving results. For our budget this is like Nigel Clough bringing in a Chris Martin type of player.

I would like the lad Taylor as well if it was possible 

Caused us real problems last season,yes please!!!

This is where I am. 4 pints down, and a Sunday Roast to come.

Woodrow will be perfectly fine to play Warneball. Smith from Wednesday will be perfectly fine to play Warneball. Good, hardworking individuals, with a pretty good eye for goal.

Anyone wanting a Carlos Juggleaball needs to get real. A) we haven’t got the budget and B) they really wouldn’t fit into the methodology and requirements that Warne and Barker have for forward players.

It’s going to be a tough season, and staying up is key. We could do a lot lot worse than Woodrow and/or Smith.

Hopefully next season we can be more expansive with budget and tactics, but this season settle down and accept we are in for a bit of a grind.

Personally, I’d be very pleased with this move. He’s had a bit of a torrid time at Luton, but that’s more to do with the club outperforming all expectations and reaching a level beyond Woodrow’s capabilities, rather than him really doing anything wrong per se.

I think he’s pretty much perfect for what we need. He’s been excellent for Barnsley previously at this level, fighting for survival as we know we will be this season. His game is about more than goals, he links up in possession and brings others into play - which is exactly what we’re missing, and have been really since McGoldrick left. 

He is the number 9 we need, but I hope we have other options live. If Luton need to get a replacement for him first, there are no guarantees on when, or indeed if, he will be available. Very risky to wait until the end of the window for him if we could end up empty handed, as we have done many times before.

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

This is where I am. 4 pints down, and a Sunday Roast to come.

Woodrow will be perfectly fine to play Warneball. Smith from Wednesday will be perfectly fine to play Warneball. Good, hardworking individuals, with a pretty good eye for goal.

Anyone wanting a Carlos Juggleaball needs to get real. A) we haven’t got the budget and B) they really wouldn’t fit into the methodology and requirements that Warne and Barker have for forward players.

It’s going to be a tough season, and staying up is key. We could do a lot lot worse than Woodrow and/or Smith.

Hopefully next season we can be more expansive with budget and tactics, but this season settle down and accept we are in for a bit of a grind.

Don’t forget to ask for extra gravy 200.gif

Decent striker at this level whose recent numbers reflect the lack of football. 

Everyone of those Luton strikers keeping him out the team would walk into our team so I don’t think that’s fair to judge him by. 

He’s 29 so not exactly past it and if he comes and does a job for long enough for Brown to be more ready for our first team then it’s creative business.

Just a reminder that Osula has just been sold for £15 MILLION. 15 followed by 6 zeroes. This market is mental. 

I know people point to that big youth upfront for Blackburn costing £2.5m or whatever but this was his first game in the championship. I thought we’d signed an animal after watching Sammons debut for Derby. Let’s see how he does moving forwards. 

People kicking off at this (mostly on other platforms) need to get their expectations in check. We’re a team widely tipped to go down. We’re never going to be able to sign one of the league’s top strikers.

Equally, you can’t sign half a team of players from abroad. Not when we don’t have a system in place like Brentford or a manager like Frank. And even they sign experienced players who know the league, e.g. a bombed out Pontus Jansson. A couple of foreign gems is good enough for one summer.

As for Woodrow, he strikes me as a Nigel Clough-style signing in the best possible way.  

He’s had a pretty solid career. Goals have been dry in recent seasons, but there are often circumstances around that. And he hasn’t been playing terribly by all accounts. A change of scenery in a team that suits him could kick him into gear.

And even if only turns out to be a solid option for a couple of years, we’ll need a few of those as well.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

This strikes me as a square peg for a square hole that sits within our budget.

A bit early to say that.

We have no idea how much they would want for him. We don't know his wage demands and don't even know for sure when his current contract runs out.

(he extended his contract before the 2023/24 season and it was described as committing his 'long-term' future to them, but no specific details were disclosed)

Edited by May Contain Nuts