How impressive is PW as a coach?

Posted (edited)

It seems that the vast majority of his signings get off to a sluggish start. Then, after a period of time their performances improve considerably.

Proves that as a coach he is more than capable and is ability to get his message across to the players.

He couldn't get a tune out of Kane, Ward, Sonny at first and then they contributed significantly. Sibs and Tommo got better as the season went on also.

Proves that we have a strong coaching outfit at DCFC

I fully expect CBT to hit the ground running next season as will Elder

Edited by Ram a lamb a ding dong

9 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Not very impressive. 

But let's see if he can adapt to the championship. He has quite the record of relegation but hopefully he has learned. That would be more impressive. 

I share your concern, I've not always been his biggest fan. But I do hope he's going to be given access to a better squad than he has previously enjoyed. Then we will see, I guess.

And I wish him well with it, it would be terrible for us to be back thinking about trips to Stevenage and Shrewsbury.

As Andy in Liverpool said, let's wait and see how things go next season. Being able to adapt from a "Get Out Of Hell"  mindset to one which makes a good go of life in the Championship will prove his ability. Here's hoping!

PS: there may be an additional reason for Sonny Bradley's slow start. He was brought in to be captain - he had the credentials - but rumour has it that he started "lording it" over the rest of the squad, who didn't take too well to it. I suspect that this scuppered Warne's plans for getting the squad bonding together, hence the need a vote on who should be captain. It might also explain Bradley's lack of effectiveness early doors, as if no-one wanted to play with him at the time. But looking at how "together" they all were/are at the business end of the season, Warne has done all right on that score.

CBT was injured when he arrrived, not been properly fit since then. Some rest to properly fix whatever it was and then BOOM, pre season and flying for the weekend of August 10th.

we know PW is an expert at this level, thats why we hired him in the first place. the issue now is he has failed over and over again at the next level, thats a bit of a worry to me but thats all on paper and in different circumstances.

im not warnes biggest fan but i hope he can push us on back to being an established championship team now and he would have done well, i think you can only really judge his ability as a manager based on what we achieve next year because we knew he has league one sussed.

I think that he’s effective at improving technically gifted players by giving them the physical attributes that match their technical gifts making them more productive.  

I don’t think he’d be any good at taking a rough diamond and turning them into something special. 

The football hasn't been too impressive at times, but getting four promotions from League One absolutely is.

He's managed to get us up on a shoestring budget with a squad debilitated by injuries. We could have been stuck down in this division for years. 

I appreciate people have an issue with the football that's been played on the pitch at times - I am one of these - but you cannot tell me that what he's achieved at this less isn't impressive. 

10 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

It seems that the vast majority of his signings get off to a sluggish start. Then, after a period of time their performances improve considerably. Proves that as a coach he is more than capable and is ability to get his message across to the players.

Happy Kevin Durant GIF by Brooklyn Nets

I think he is a limited coach who sets us up to play a style of football which is the easiest to coach.

I think we won promotion through matching/surpassing the physical attributes of our opponents and seeing our individual quality pull through.

I don’t think we won promotion through tactical nous or coaching a team of mediocre League One players to perform better than the sum of their parts.

I don’t think such a method will work in the Championship, especially when facing superior quality.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

The football hasn't been too impressive at times, but getting four promotions from League One absolutely is.

He's managed to get us up on a shoestring budget with a squad debilitated by injuries. We could have been stuck down in this division for years. 

I appreciate people have an issue with the football that's been played on the pitch at times - I am one of these - but you cannot tell me that what he's achieved at this less isn't impressive. 

Shoestring budget? We had the highest wage bill in League One